VIC Lysterfield Park

tyred

Squid
Also about a DH track there....I agree with those who said pages ago that a shuttle track was not necessary, I just arrived home from NZ and my GOD! have they got a hole in one with their riding over there. Most tracks have an access road (same as any old fire road which is necessary in all forests in case of fire) and these were used as push ups for the downhill tracks and were not allowed to be used by vehicles and there were still heaps of riders getting out there and either riding up or pushing up the trails simple because A) its a healthier alternative for the environment and themselves! and B) the trails were WORTH THE EFFORT
You're right. Loads of riders every day hit up redwoods with no shuttles and push their bikes up the hill. I lived in Rotovegas for a while and getting the bike up the hill was just part of the ride (and its a big hill) - but then with a seemingly never ending DH run to follow its worth it. There is no reason why DH trails in oz should be any different - are we too lazy?

While they have banned private cars and shuttles from operating in the forest, there are a couple of companies that have permission to run shuttles (southstar, etc.) They have a deal with the forest management that allows them to do this and they pay to do so.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
naming rights?

Hey just an idea but what about naming rights as a way of funding trail maintenance?

Simply sign a loop through Lysterfield (about 20km or so) and then try and get a sponsor to fund maintenance in return for it being called ....for example 'the cannondale loop' or the 'Ground effect route' etc Im sure some marketing whizz can think of something better.

They get loads of exposure through the route name and associated maps/signage etc and the track gets a ongoing supply of money for maintenance. They can even have their logo on the trail signs (and pay for them). Ive seen it done before overseas with the 'Marin Trail' and 'MBR' in Wales.

Perhaps this could a win win? The guys at Lysterfield could afford to get some pro trail designers, we would all get a nice track and some company would get to bombard us with marketing.

trav

Likes Dirt
Hey just an idea but what about naming rights as a way of funding trail maintenance?

Simply sign a loop through Lysterfield (about 20km or so) and then try and get a sponsor to fund maintenance in return for it being called ....for example 'the cannondale loop' or the 'Ground effect route' etc Im sure some marketing whizz can think of something better.

They get loads of exposure through the route name and associated maps/signage etc and the track gets a ongoing supply of money for maintenance. They can even have their logo on the trail signs (and pay for them). Ive seen it done before overseas with the 'Marin Trail' and 'MBR' in Wales.

Perhaps this could a win win? The guys at Lysterfield could afford to get some pro trail designers, we would all get a nice track and some company would get to bombard us with marketing.
Corporate sponsorship.I think that PV may be exploring this ,not sure for Lysterfield though.Going to need some serious sponsorship deals to fix that mess.

OT

Likes Dirt
.Going to need some serious sponsorship deals to fix that mess.
Don't hold back Trav let them know what you really think!

You shouldn't have left your signature on the trail that you fixed up out there, you now have a permanent stain on your reputation as a trail builder.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Must give congrats on the new bridge to fix up some of the wetter areas close to the top car park, apparently built mid this week. Dreaded that section but really suprised today to see such a well built bridge at Lysty, two piece bridge with a tree roll over in the middle. Awesome to see some well thought out new stuff, and thanks to all that built it. Really gets rid of that loopy wet area.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
Must give congrats on the new bridge to fix up some of the wetter areas close to the top car park, apparently built mid this week. Dreaded that section but really suprised today to see such a well built bridge at Lysty, two piece bridge with a tree roll over in the middle. Awesome to see some well thought out new stuff, and thanks to all that built it. Really gets rid of that loopy wet area.
Yes.. it is a well made low raise bridge that will fix the mud pool issue we get every winter. Shame they cut the tree to almost level to the bridge... No more log roll over :(

Expect more good quality work to come out of Lysterfiled in the near future.

Danman89

Likes Bikes
+1

Yeah the bridge is really good. I might be a touch worried though if it rains and then some of the supports sink into the ground but I am sure they would have thought of that. I can remeber CTS (Round 3 I think) last year where it was so tough riding through the mud around there.

Does anyone know when the next Trail Building Session is?

I need to give back to Lysto for all the good times that it has given me :eek:

akashra

Eats Squid
Corporate sponsorship.I think that PV may be exploring this ,not sure for Lysterfield though.Going to need some serious sponsorship deals to fix that mess.
This is the way a number of parks in the US go. I've had some brief discussions with a few companies for another park (not Lysterfield), but haven't had time to push it or follow it up too much yet - it will however definitely be something we're going to be looking at seriously in future, as I believe it's certainly a model which works.

LabRat

Likes Dirt
Ditto Ditto.. really loved the new section of "boardwalk" over the yuk wet section and can ride it with some speed!

Well done on a great addition to Lysterfield!

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Lysterfield now has an official MTB Club. They're known as the Lysterfield District Trail Riders and have their own website as well. You can also chat with members via the site and plan rides but most of all, we'll be discussing trail building. There's a workshop right now at Lysty - started yesterday and finishes today on trailbuilding.

We're excited that things are moving ahead for this area and I invite you to check us out if you ride in that area. Andy has been here on this forum, he's our president now. And I'm the secretary and thrilled to be part of this new exciting club.

http://www.lysterfieldmtb.com

Cheers everyone.

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
I had a ride out there the other week and was pretty impressed, the tracks flowed well and aside from some drainage issues (granite soils are damn hard to build on IMO) on switchbacks and stright downhill bits + a lack of height in some berms, I really liked it.

Can someone ask PV to get rid of all the damn Boneseed tho, I spent half the ride stopping and pulling it out!

This is what it looks like: http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&card=S08 pull it out if you see it!

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
I had a ride out there the other week and was pretty impressed, the tracks flowed well and aside from some drainage issues (granite soils are damn hard to build on IMO) on switchbacks and stright downhill bits + a lack of height in some berms, I really liked it.

Can someone ask PV to get rid of all the damn Boneseed tho, I spent half the ride stopping and pulling it out!

This is what it looks like: http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&card=S08 pull it out if you see it!
I'll mention it at our next committee meeting tombstone. We have a PV guy involved with us and we're working towards improving the tracks and other things for the enjoyment of all riders.

So glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you come again soon!

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Equipment and expertise...

Do the trail crew possess a Chainsaw ???Why Not cut some Logs out??..Instead of stacking up sticks against them.These things aint features.they are speed humps.Why line the edge of the track with logs.this only channels water.There are some great models out there to model a mountain bike park out there and i know every environment has its own challenges but there is a simple set of tried and tested rules that work for everybody(imba trailbook).Can anybody answer any of these questions??

evltoy

Likes Dirt
I believe that PV is the only qualified people to use a chainsaw in the Park. We can only use handtools for clearing ways that poses a risk to the public.

I also believe that the reason for the log edges in some areas is to prevent riders from taking short cuts which was widening the existing trail, creating new trails and damaging the plant life.

Unfortunately Lysterfield doesn’t just attract mtb riders with knowledge on trails. They also get a lot of families with young kinds and parents with not much sense of how to keep the area in top condition.. and this is a big part of the problem over there.

Cheers

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Unfortunate

I believe that PV is the only qualified people to use a chainsaw in the Park. We can only use handtools for clearing ways that poses a risk to the public.

I also believe that the reason for the log edges in some areas is to prevent riders from taking short cuts which was widening the existing trail, creating new trails and damaging the plant life.

Unfortunately Lysterfield doesn’t just attract mtb riders with knowledge on trails. They also get a lot of families with young kinds and parents with not much sense of how to keep the area in top condition.. and this is a big part of the problem over there.

Cheers
Quick response.Nice.It is an unfortunate situation if the trail builders are not permitted to operate chainsaws.It is a fundamental necessity when working in a wooded envionment.In my opinion ,as important as a shovel or rake hoe.Good luck out there..

akashra

Eats Squid
Quick response.Nice.It is an unfortunate situation if the trail builders are not permitted to operate chainsaws.It is a fundamental necessity when working in a wooded envionment.In my opinion ,as important as a shovel or rake hoe.Good luck out there..
I absolutely disagree and having worked with the PV people out there, proper planning makes things just as doable. Any assertion that being disallowed from operating chainsaws as an excuse for not being able to do good trailwork is a fallacy.
If there's a fallen tree that's blocking a trail, inform the guys at Trailmix; worst case, bring it up with Parks - Bree is usually out there with the chainsaw when we've had organised working bees in the past, and I know she and/or John are out there semi-regularly cutting up other fallen trees which happen quite frequently.

And as for complaints that they act as speed bumps, frankly that's actually a desired trait at Lysterfield. If you want to ride trails that allow you to bomb down them at 600km/h, please, go do it elsewhere. Lysterfield is not the venue for that kind of behavior. Controlling speed is an important aspect of trail use and development at Lysterfield.

OT

Likes Dirt
Bunny Hop!

One of the few technical skills needed to ride at Lysterfield is the ability to be able to bunny hop. Except for a couple of logs that are waist high all the others are low enough to bunny hop. If you posses the skill the logs are not speed humps.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Lysterfield Trail Building

All,

I have gone through most of the comments of this thread. I think all have valid points about the condition, lack of flow, poor maintenance of the Lysterfield trails. Must admit over the past 5 years riding Lysterfield I have done my fair share of complaining about the trails and what should be done.

I thought to myself whilst riding one morning what i can i do to help. Re-searching the net and talking with other keen riders i have become a committe member of the Lysterfield District Trail Riders (LDTR) to help Advocate for better tracks and more to the point build better trails.

I would like to invite all people who have strong views and or users of the Lysterfield trails to come along next Sat 8th of May to start the much needed works on the Trails that we have all taken for granted. Our plans are to finish off maintaining the trail behind Trailmix and also to complete the burms and rock wall that we have started.

We now have the support of Parks Victoria to firstly maintain and repair existing tracks, carry out a trail audit and once all this is completed to build new trails.

Yes we will not get it right the first time, we will not build / maintain trails quick enough and we will all have different opinions on what type tracks should be built. But remember the only way to get heard is to come along and become a member of LDTR and lend a hand building these new trails.

This newly formed club needs members and money to help to make this a reality and we also need the women / man power to help build trails. All who believe that they can help make Lystefield a better park to ride please become a member of LDTR and lend a hand to make this a reality.

When
Saturday 8th May 2010: 8am - 12.30pm (trail building) meet at Trailmix 8am
Please advise if you are available to lend a hand.
www.lysterfieldmtb.com

Thanks Olly ( LDTR Member)

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
A chainsaw certainly makes building some things easier but is hardly a necessity. You also lose some of the artistry involved (woodwork) when you drag a chainsaw into the mix. I do take my saw out a fair bit, but also tend to use a handsaw and chisels a hell of a lot too, they're more portable and I find more satisfying to use, you can really make things fit nicely, even to the extent of not needing nails or screws - sure it takes longer but the end result is often nicer to look at.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Good to see Olly's comment here, I was just coming to say the same thing.

If you'd like to participate or join in discussion about the trailbuilding there, and keep track of working bee dates, you are welcome to come chat at http://lysterfieldmtb.com/forum/index.php. I posted some photos there today of the new look track above Trailmix that benefited from a recent workshop there.