DSLR's

Kirby.

Squid
First, I'm unsure where to post this so I thought this would be the best place to start.

I'm looking for a Digital SLR, It would be my first, I have used them in the past for school etc.
I was wondering if a Canon 550D would be aiming to high for a first camera? I would also be using the video feature and was also wondering if their are any cheap online stores which you know of.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the website, that was the one i'm literally searching around for right now. Cheers.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did do a quick search and read a few of the other threads on the subject but my main concern is if I'm aiming to high with the 550D?
Not really man, 550D isn't exactly super high up on Canon's line up. They're a nice camera though. What lens's are you considering with it?

Kirby.

Squid
Not really man, 550D isn't exactly super high up on Canon's line up. They're a nice camera though. What lens's are you considering with it?
I was just thinking seeing that it would be my first camera.
At first I was just looking at the standard 18-55mm IS kit lens but then saw the 18-200mm IS lens but that is just a bit above my budget

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was just thinking seeing that it would be my first camera.
At first I was just looking at the standard 18-55mm IS kit lens but then saw the 18-200mm IS lens but that is just a bit above my budget
I'd rate the 17 - 85 as a very good first lens, if you go on my flickr and look at a couple of my sets such as this one and this one they're all taken with the 17 - 85, my newer photos are taken with a 24 - 105 L series but thats sitting well outside the price bracket. Honestly I think the 17 - 85 is extremely under rated, and if you went with that + a 550D you'd be very happy.

Kirby.

Squid
I'd rate the 17 - 85 as a very good first lens, if you go on my flickr and look at a couple of my sets such as this one and this one they're all taken with the 17 - 85, my newer photos are taken with a 24 - 105 L series but thats sitting well outside the price bracket. Honestly I think the 17 - 85 is extremely under rated, and if you went with that + a 550D you'd be very happy.
Just checked out your flickr and the lenses, ideally i'd like to start with the 24 - 105 but as you said thats out of my price range. I've looked at d-d-photographics again and I'm starting to lean towards either the 15 - 85 or the 18 - 55 and 55 - 250 simply because its the cheapest option and a good way to start out. Would you recommend paying a little extra for the 17 - 85?

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just checked out your flickr and the lenses, ideally i'd like to start with the 24 - 105 but as you said thats out of my price range. I've looked at d-d-photographics again and I'm starting to lean towards either the 15 - 85 or the 18 - 55 and 55 - 250 simply because its the cheapest option and a good way to start out. Would you recommend paying a little extra for the 17 - 85?
Honestly, yes I would recommend the extra for the 17 - 85. Some people may disagree but that lens is awesome as a first lens. Also isn't the 15 - 85 MORE than the 17 - 85??

From what I've read the 18 - 200 is extremely similar to the 17 - 85 so it to could be a good option if you want the extra zoom range...

Kirby.

Squid
Honestly, yes I would recommend the extra for the 17 - 85. Some people may disagree but that lens is awesome as a first lens. Also isn't the 15 - 85 MORE than the 17 - 85??

From what I've read the 18 - 200 is extremely similar to the 17 - 85 so it to could be a good option if you want the extra zoom range...
My mistake with the 15 - 85, I meant the 18 - 55.
I'm aiming for this to be under $1500 with a kit lens and then some money for a good quality tripod.
The 18 - 200 is just over my budget but maybe with some bargaining I will hopefully get it for $1500.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I would recommend Digital Camera Warehouse, Canterbury, over d-d-photographics. Pay a little bit more but get a real warranty.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Would you recommend paying a little extra for the 17 - 85?
Can't say I agree with Alec on this one, the 17-85 wasn't a bad lens, but I just never really felt happy with it. The first one I had was replaced after 2 days because the iris froze up, and when I got a working copy it was a bitch to focus. Sure, the USM moves fast, but the thing would hunt like buggery. I also never really found much use for the IS either; I'd kill for it on the longer lens I have now but at that range I found it to be less than useful. I was much happier when I got my Tamron to be honest, and at the end of the day I sold the 17-85 for pretty much exactly what I paid for the 17-50.

I've heard good things about the Sigma 18-50 (I think thats it) too, any reason you're not considering third party options?

Kirby.

Squid
Can't say I agree with Alec on this one, the 17-85 wasn't a bad lens, but I just never really felt happy with it. The first one I had was replaced after 2 days because the iris froze up, and when I got a working copy it was a bitch to focus. Sure, the USM moves fast, but the thing would hunt like buggery. I also never really found much use for the IS either; I'd kill for it on the longer lens I have now but at that range I found it to be less than useful. I was much happier when I got my Tamron to be honest, and at the end of the day I sold the 17-85 for pretty much exactly what I paid for the 17-50.

I've heard good things about the Sigma 18-50 (I think thats it) too, any reason you're not considering third party options?
Pretty much the main reason I'm not considering third part options is I don't know whats good and whats bad and also i would like a Canon kit lens to start of with then expand my collection from there.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Pretty much the main reason I'm not considering third part options is I don't know whats good and whats bad and also i would like a Canon kit lens to start of with then expand my collection from there.
Start reading man. There's a metric shitload of info on this sort of stuff on the web. Maybe it's just me, but when you're working to a budget, the last thing I would be ruling out would be glass from the likes of Sigma and Tamron.

Kirby.

Squid
Start reading man. There's a metric shitload of info on this sort of stuff on the web. Maybe it's just me, but when you're working to a budget, the last thing I would be ruling out would be glass from the likes of Sigma and Tamron.
Hmm fair enough. Didn't really think that far into it at this point in time i was focusing on the camera.
Where to start?

Xplor

Likes Dirt
I would recommend Digital Camera Warehouse, Canterbury, over d-d-photographics. Pay a little bit more but get a real warranty.
Emphesis on 'real' why is d-d photgraphics warrenty fake'? And what "real" about Digital Camera Warehouse.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is everybody's thoughts on the nikon d300?

I would prefer hearing from someone who isn't a profesional camera reviewe like on many sites.

Thanks in advance.