Powder Coating vs Spray Painting

heavyp

You heard it here first
Had my bike sand blasted, now time to give it another life but whats best powder coating or spraying both done professionally ?

Pros and cons if any ?

heavyp

You heard it here first
out of my price range, the place that sand blasted my frame forks bars and cranks are powder coaters and they offered it to me for 75 buks, but i got quoted about the same from a panel beaters if they had any paint left in the gun.

Just wondered what would look the best, and last the longest

krisko

Likes Dirt
Both being professional spray will present better, think paint job on your car vs metal park benches that are commonly powder coated.

Powder coating is far more durable though. If it was mine I would get it sprayed in your colour of choice then clear coated.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
for a mountain bike powder coating is really the only one to consider. Its durability makes it a much better finish. Paint will chip fairly easily, powder coating won't.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be a little wary of sandblasting etc your forks/fork lowers...
Agreed.
Should never sand blast welded / tempered steel. most blasters will have a quick spray at it which heats the surface they also use rougher blast medium because it lasts longer.
I would always go paint, the thickness and softness of powder coat can hide the starts o cracks.
If its done well it wont be the case but if your only paying 75 bucks imagine they will just go sick at it.

Look up some good paint systems like POR15 paint systems its very hard wearing and chip resistant but hard enough that it cracks if the frame under it does.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Agreed.
Should never sand blast welded / tempered steel. most blasters will have a quick spray at it which heats the surface they also use rougher blast medium because it lasts longer.
Frig you serious ? my frame is chrome/steel ?

Bad how hot are we talking ? its not been send off yet its on the shop but will be sand blasted tomorrow, should i say be careful of the weld or should these people know what there doing ?

Last edited:

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frig you serious ? my frame is chrome/steel ?

Bad how hot are we talking ? its not been send off yet its on the shop but will be sand blasted tomorrow, should i say be careful of the weld or should these people know what there doing ?
If it's a dj frame, then rest easy. If it was an 853 eddy, then I'd worry.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.there is pretty intense friction when sand blasting which creates little pockets of heat.
Maybe just tell them to be careful and find out what they use as a blast medium, se what it would cost to get it done with walnut shells. if its a heavy DJ/BMX frame your unlikely to get enough heat cause the big thick tubing, unless its a ultralite frame.

Chemical paint stripper is always a good option

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah its a BMX maybe in the wrong forum ? Just though be a few more experienced heads in here
Steel BMX frame (some uber thin racing true temper frame excluded), blast away even with garnet. Unless you have some mystical coating on there that will require them to hold the gun still for a minute, the heat build up will be no where near enough to affect the temper.

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steel BMX frame (some uber thin racing true temper frame excluded), blast away even with garnet. Unless you have some mystical coating on their that will require them to hold the gun still for a minute, the heat build up will be no where near enough to affect the temper.
Finally someone is making sense, you guys crack me up!

heavyp

You heard it here first
Steel BMX frame (some uber thin racing true temper frame excluded), blast away even with garnet. Unless you have some mystical coating on their that will require them to hold the gun still for a minute, the heat build up will be no where near enough to affect the temper.
Legend, thanks heaps for that i couldnt stop it anyways the place where im getting it done do powder coating as well some im going for that. WHITE frame/forks/bars/ and cranks.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
out of my price range, the place that sand blasted my frame forks bars and cranks are powder coaters and they offered it to me for 75 buks, but i got quoted about the same from a panel beaters if they had any paint left in the gun.

Just wondered what would look the best, and last the longest
So $115, which is $40 more (are you getting the blasting and coat for $75?), is too much for you to afford when it's getting done by someone who's absolutely professional in all of their work?

I mean, you're going to guys who probably do some large items so their attention to detail might not be as good as a company who only works on bikes for the biking community (ie. they want their rep to stay good with us, so will obviously do good work). Just a thought...

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
One quick piece of (possible) advice. I previously spray painted my el cheapo road bike. It turned out quite well however I did make one mistake which I shall share.

Once they have sprayed the bike, leave it for at least 2 weeks, bare minimum.
I know that after I finnished spraying my bike I left it to stand and fully dry for about a week and a half. It was even left in full sun for a few days. Although this was still not enough to completely dry out the frame. Once I put everything back on the frame, the cable guides which were only slightly rubbing on the head tube. But they have left a permanent indent as the paint was still soft.

So maybe still ask the guys who are spraying your bike how long it will take for everything to dry.

And you also might want to consider spraying on a few layers of clear coat, which will provide another layer of protection for your new paint job. Good luck !!

Also remember that spraying your bike may void your warranty on the frame/fork.