2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hell will freeze over before its cancelled... lack of trees means nothing can fall on the track/riders - and it drains pretty well... I'm thinking an electrical storm is our best bet to score a few hours sleep (a la Sydney 24) at night.

I have raced in 2 WSC where it has rained constantly for the entire weekend and the race was not cancelled. Before I started racing them one even had snow during the night but didn't stop the race. Lightning or more severe storms that endanger the racers would be the only thing I could see interfering with the race going as planned. Yes, it can cause deterioration of the track but that is usually accepted and trail maintenance days get scheduled after the event.

Here's hoping we get a break and catch a stellar weekend this year. Long way to come to race in the rain again.

28 days to go. :)

Solo Steve

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Hell will freeze over before its cancelled... lack of trees means nothing can fall on the track/riders - and it drains pretty well... I'm thinking an electrical storm is our best bet to score a few hours sleep (a la Sydney 24) at night.
I have raced in 2 WSC where it has rained constantly for the entire weekend and the race was not cancelled. Before I started racing them one even had snow during the night but didn't stop the race. Lightning or more severe storms that endanger the racers would be the only thing I could see interfering with the race going as planned. Yes, it can cause deterioration of the track but that is usually accepted and trail maintenance days get scheduled after the event.

Here's hoping we get a break and catch a stellar weekend this year. Long way to come to race in the rain again.

28 days to go. :)

Solo Steve
It's cool guys, I was joking. :rolleyes:= sarcasm.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Yes, it is. We're just waiting on the responses to the last list of waiting list offers so we know exactly who is in the race.
Do you have an idea when this will be sorted? ie. next week, earlier, later, or still too many variables to predict when it will be done?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is my mind putting bullshit in my head or will the course be revealled two weeks before the event (so much has been speculated/said in this thread that I'm loosing track of it all!)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Tex.

Also, did anything come of the discussions re: the rather large team dinner. I'm just tossing up whether I will arrive Wednesday or Thursday

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
Film?

107 pages so go ahead and flame me if this has already been mentioned.

It's brewing up to be a great fight/story and unfortunatly I'm not going. As well as sending Twitter updates, will anyone be filming the event? Sort of like that other film with that guy they didn't film till they realised he was going to win... in it :)

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I am just hoping there is no running start as i have fucked my knee and am not allowed to do any type of running for a while. Other wise i will walk the Le mans start,
Especially if we are running in mtb shoes.
Maybe get a pair of those shoes I see kids rolling around, I mean running around in at the shop and hope that the run/walk is on the crit track.
Amongst 400 riders I'm sure you'd just blend into the crowd.:cool:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Here's a great fuelling guide by the 2 time winner of
the Race Across America
I like this guys approach better, specifically:

You really can go and go on a long ride with as powder for power. (I used about 12,000 calories worth of Twinlabs Gainers Fuel 2500). All you need are a scientifically chosen collection of supplements to the powder. Mine included a spanish omelette and bacon, bananas, a sausage and pepperoni pizza, ham and cheese sandwiches, chicken and cheese sandwiches, ice cream, mushroom soup, french fries, a salmon and bacon club sandwich, oatmeal, onion rings, grapes, a blueberry scone and other similar nutrients.
Cheers
Spoonie

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
107 pages so go ahead and flame me if this has already been mentioned.

It's brewing up to be a great fight/story and unfortunately I'm not going. As well as sending Twitter updates, will anyone be filming the event? Sort of like that other film with that guy they didn't film till they realised he was going to win... in it :)
The guys from Oz Dirt Cast will be there... and I'm led to believe that they might even be planning some really cool stuff such as online updates. I think they might even be planning a dvd... but then that's just speculation.

Online race updates?

Following on from the last question. Does anyone know where any online race updates will be posted? I recall a hard to find WSC24 site last year that had regular race updates? I'd like to point friends and family to them so they can stay up for 24 hours staring at the screen :D Ta. Paul.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Following on from the last question. Does anyone know where any online race updates will be posted? I recall a hard to find WSC24 site last year that had regular race updates? I'd like to point friends and family to them so they can stay up for 24 hours staring at the screen :D Ta. Paul.
Pretty sure I've read somewhere that you will be able to get online results, I guess Russ Baker can confirm but I know at the easter solo champs I was able to check progress through Castech I think it was and they were updated like every few minutes.
Any way I believe it will be the same set up for this race?, and I'm sure we'll get a link posted up in due course.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know alot of people are jumping on the twitter bandwagon - I have just recently had the whole thing explained to me, but am yet to take the plunge of signing up

it seems that if we want to make all our updates accessible to the folks at home we need to agree on a common hash-tag (the little # sign - followed by a bunch of letters and numbers) then all the people at home have to do is go onto twitter.com and type in #whateverthetagis and all the messages from people at the event will pop up

May I suggest that anybody taking this route of keeping folks back home entertained/informed append their messages (dare I say it - 'tweets') with the hash-tag #wsc24

Two of my pit crew members have just kitted themselves out with fancy iPhones and they are going to be firing updates on how I'm doing (and whats happening at the pointy end of the race) to everyone who couldnt make the trip down... I imagine rotorburn and facebook are also going to get a severe work out in all the time while I'm on course and they are kicking back and relaxing

-Andrew

Last edited: