Quarq MTB PM

spikenet

Likes Dirt
It does look the goods! I'm guessing its 2x only?

Will be curious to see the price and availability over here in oz.. probably at least 2k??

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Same price as the current sets $au2700 retail. Rings will be 42/28 and 39/26 SRAM standard, double ring only, there will be a X9 version. Available mid to late 2011.

Also Quarq are releasing a re-calibration for the cranks for use with iphones, ipads, itouch

Nice looking set up. Still debating the cost benefit of power cranks on an mtb particularly with 2 race bikes now. What a fantastic dilemma to have. A$ is quite strong now so good time to buy I guess.

BTW Bear I picked up a copy of the Coggan book as suggested, it was a good read mate so thanks for the tip. The new version of the book actually has a section on enduro mtb complete with a 24hr race power profile.

Anyone training with power for the worlds? If so how you getting on?

Will you be recording power/HR data from the race?

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Anyone training with power for the worlds? If so how you getting on?

Will you be recording power/HR data from the race?
Yes.
No.
The info in training is awesome, and have looked at other power files from 24hr events.
Same as with HRM's, most time of benefit is in the first few hours. The rest is more for looking at after the event.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Nice...

Just about to retire my road powertap in favour of a quarq (well, not really retire, more like its going back to whence it came for a little 'refresh' - sigh) so be interested in this at some point down the track for sure - apparently much lighter than a powertap option... I'd guess it'll go on XX cranks as well as they seem to replace the spider...

Good to see some more options - also I note that Garmin has bought metri gear (pedal powermeter people). Be interesting to see what developments that brings...

Yes that's what I figured, the piece I read put forward the concept that most 24hr races are won in the first 6 hours as competitors tire at the same rate and the time gap created early on is maintained. That's a text book answer though and assumes that you get pacing correct in the first instance. I think a power meter would be helpful for a pacing strategy to avoid get too carried away with excitement and blowing up completely. I'm sure there's going to be some fireworks from the gun this year.

The heart rate/power drift would be interesting to observe over the 24hr period.

Good luck with the race. I can't wait :)

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Nice...

Just about to retire my road powertap in favour of a quarq (well, not really retire, more like its going back to whence it came for a little 'refresh' - sigh) so be interested in this at some point down the track for sure - apparently much lighter than a powertap option... I'd guess it'll go on XX cranks as well as they seem to replace the spider...

Good to see some more options - also I note that Garmin has bought metri gear (pedal powermeter people). Be interesting to see what developments that brings...
No the current pic is a X0 crank and also there will be a x9 version. Also if SRAM ain't your bag there will be rotor and lightening crank versions.
However I think these are only available from Quarq directly and their website says they do not currently ship out side the US.

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
I think a power meter would be helpful for a pacing strategy to avoid get too carried away with excitement and blowing up completely. I'm sure there's going to be some fireworks from the gun this year.

The heart rate/power drift would be interesting to observe over the 24hr period.
Yes, it is ideal for pacing. If you don't blow yourself up in the first half, you will find that your power will remain relatively similar (discounting the first lap) throughout, but HR will be waaaaay down.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The Fenzmeister does Quarq in Oz.
On www.ftptraining.com.au
I'm sure an email in that direction will get some answers.
Thanks, but I already own a quarq. I know about the distribution arrangement because I spoke with quarq/ SRAM US before buying my cranks. They are only available through SRAM distribution channels. In Australia that is Monza and Echelon Sports

akashra

Eats Squid
While it's good to see more power meters, it doesn't help anyone when they're all marketed at an identical price point to existing products. Especially since with the Quarq you have to get them to calibrate it any time you change chainrings (much like you need to get Trek to calibrate a PowerTap when you change bearings).
It's unfortunate Saris don't give us the option of a PRO+ MTB so we have to fork out ~$2500 for the SL+ MTB hub.

Given that Garmin just bought out Metrigear, here's hoping that's a sign we'll soon get an SPD compatible ANT+ power meter at a much lower cost.

It's still clear though that manufacturers/distributors of these products still don't quite get it.

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Yes, it is ideal for pacing. If you don't blow yourself up in the first half, you will find that your power will remain relatively similar (discounting the first lap) throughout, but HR will be waaaaay down.
In the words on the infamous Qee Zee "You've changed Jaffandal, you've changed".

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
While it's good to see more power meters, it doesn't help anyone when they're all marketed at an identical price point to existing products. Especially since with the Quarq you have to get them to calibrate it any time you change chainrings (much like you need to get Trek to calibrate a PowerTap when you change bearings).
It's unfortunate Saris don't give us the option of a PRO+ MTB so we have to fork out ~$2500 for the SL+ MTB hub.

Given that Garmin just bought out Metrigear, here's hoping that's a sign we'll soon get an SPD compatible ANT+ power meter at a much lower cost.

It's still clear though that manufacturers/distributors of these products still don't quite get it.
Although the Quarq website and their forums now say that if you torque the bolts to the recommended settings then a factory recalibrate isn't required when you change chainrings so that's nice....

I have a hollow gram crank so happy as... it should end up with a lighter setup...

Of course it means I'll relegate the powertap to the singlespeed which isn't ideal...

This assumes of course I win lotto somewhere between now and the release date!