2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
Actually, the % of non-Australian riders is about the same as the % of non-North-American riders when it is held in USA/Canada.

We actually have a pretty reasonable international field (of 73) especially when you consider that the total field for the 2009 world champs was 112.

The max Aussie contingent in Canada was 26 in 2008, (and 18 last year).

I'm onto it ...
I guess I'm quite dissapointed to see a no show for US elite men. Great to see the women an age groupers turning up but 3 or 4 in elite wouldn't have gone astray.....Great to see the 73 other internationals made the effort.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Pit Crew needed for International Rider

We have a request from the Russian rider for someone to be a pit crew for him at the race. If anyone wants to help him out, please send me a PM containing your email address.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone with experience at Stromlo able to point out a good place for a 2nd feed zone on the course??
I cannot see anywhere that would be simple for a crew to get out to and back during a lap.
Was great at Canmore as we could walk 500m or so and get to the 3rd checkpoint to check our rider.
Agree on the creek crossing. If it is as cold there this year as it was at the Scott last year, wet feet can GGF.
Also a shame that the 2009 Women's Champion seems missing from the starting list.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Anyone with experience at Stromlo able to point out a good place for a 2nd feed zone on the course??
I cannot see anywhere that would be simple for a crew to get out to and back during a lap.
Was great at Canmore as we could walk 500m or so and get to the 3rd checkpoint to check our rider.
Agree on the creek crossing. If it is as cold there this year as it was at the Scott last year, wet feet can GGF.
Also a shame that the 2009 Women's Champion seems missing from the starting list.
There will be a "neutral" feed zone on top of the mountain - which means the riders get to see it twice per lap :)

It will have water plus some GUs for the solo riders. We are looking at transport options for getting some packs for riders up there - but not their helpers.

The only approved place for riders to get individual assistance from their helpers is in the Dyna Sys World Solo Pit Row.

Last edited:

*rach*

Likes Bikes
There will be a "neutral" feed zone on top of the mountain - which means the riders get to see it twice per lap :)

It will have water plus some GUs for the solo riders. We are looking at transport options for getting some packs for riders up there - but not their helpers.

The only approved place for riders to get individual assistance from their helpers is in the Dyna Sys World Solo Pit Row.

Russ, can you define neutral?
I would expect that to mean no overtaking in it's typical form....

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
I'm not sure if there is anything formal in place, but I'm sure if you post when you arrive all us Canberra locals would be happy for you to tag along if we're riding at Stromlo or around town.
That would be fantastic if anyone is willing to show me about.
I'm getting to Canberra on Monday 4th.

Any locals able to show me about perhaps send a PM?

smokeybear

Likes Bikes

If a rider has a major mechanical, I'm assuming they need to walk their bike back to pit row. The crew can't ride a spare bike out to that spot on the course?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Russ, can you define neutral?
I would expect that to mean no overtaking in it's typical form....
nah... I would suggest it's just that it's not specific or biased to anyone. Not anything to do with overtaking. Probably just a tent with a few misc tools and spare tubes + water and Gu as Russ mentioned.

Cheers
Spoonie

SSDave

Likes Dirt
nah... I would suggest it's just that it's not specific or biased to anyone. Not anything to do with overtaking. Probably just a tent with a few misc tools and spare tubes + water and Gu as Russ mentioned.

Cheers
Spoonie
Sounds like a great spot for me to set up for the duration and heckle!! 2 cracks at each rider per lap!!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers
Spoonie
Spare Tubes + Water + Gu = Fabulous idea -> the fact we pass it twice a lap means that (once you include the pits) there are 3 points on the 20km lap you can sort out any problems... I got a bit nervous when I saw the 20km lap - I normally only carry one spare tube with me - imagine double flatting 10km into the course!

edit: as Dave said probably a bit of a hub for the on track cheer squad

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Mullet's solo course Top Tips...

Okey dokey, having spent a large chunk of the day out on the course I noted a few riders climbing the steep fire trail back to the laser observatory, which is not right. At the firetrail intersection you take the right fork and head right out to Stromlo Rd. If you don't see a new shed being built and Stromlo Rd, you've got it wrong

(see the first image)

Just before you get to the sheds turn left and then left again to stay under the powerlines;

(images 2 - 6)

I was lucky enough to have a hand today (big thanks Pat!) and as a result the new section of trail past the laser observatory is roughly cut in (thanks to ANU for allowing this!). When you go past the Visitors Center (to the right, uphill) you come to a gate. From there riders were set to use the tar to get back to the Echidna firetrail but ANU have allowed us to cut in a track for this event. Immediately before the gate there is a red arrow pointing left, head past the wattle tree and hopefully the line is well enough defined. Stay high from the gum tree and track direct to the observatory (you should see a largish rock, that is your aim point). When you hit the car park skirt around its left edge and aim for the tall dead tree. The trail will be self evident. Remember that the laser observatory is in use so PLEASE stick to the car park as they may be using the laser target downhill from it; and don't freak if you see a green laser, that's what the observatory does! Car park safe, downhill area not.

(images 9-10)

We have also moved the cross over to Echidna Junction proper. On the first pass (orange) you head down the firetrail from the old DH start and into the single trail to Echinda Junction then onto Western Wedgetail. On the second pass (red) from the laser observatory you now stay on the firetrail up past the grave-site turnoff and then ride off to the right of the gate and into Echidna. The off to Rollercoaster and big grins. The last image explains.

Hopefully all that makes sense. I have stuck out a couple of red arrows to help, we can't stick out too many until the event proper. Any questions then PM me or drop it on this list :)

Cheers!
Mullet

Attachments

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any word on a pre race dinner or are we waiting till the Awards dinner to drop our game faces?

p.s. that second photo looks icky/rutted

scbullit

Likes Dirt
We have also moved the cross over to Echidna Junction proper. On the first pass (orange) you head down the firetrail from the old DH start and into the single trail to Echinda Junction then onto Western Wedgetail. On the second pass (red) from the laser observatory you now stay on the firetrail up past the grave-site turnoff and then ride off to the right of the gate and into Echidna. The off to Rollercoaster and big grins. The last image explains.
Hey Bling, How are you doing the actual course crossing? Are you building a bridge or something or just a give way sign?