SCOTT 24 hour 2010

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
You will be allowed to drive your gear in, prior to 2pm Friday arvo. All cars must be removed after that time. We'd like to keep it open longer but there will be so much happening around the village that we can't risk it.
Is this going to be strictly enforced even for all the 4/6 camping areas? Definitely going to be change from the usual - cars typically parked on the edge of the main dirt access road all the way along the camp sites.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Is this going to be strictly enforced even for all the 4/6 camping areas? Definitely going to be change from the usual - cars typically parked on the edge of the main dirt access road all the way along the camp sites.
Yes it will. Those cars you mention are a major issue for access, including for emergencies. They also become an issue come home time as they generally go against the flow (being already packed) and yeah. The poor gate marshals get the abuse...

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
To those who dont know it, how would you describe that section? Whats hard about it? Not really worried, just more interested really.
A descending track, generally with good fall and camber and a few rock ledges not more than 10 inches in height. Many have a smooth option one side or the other.

muvro

Likes Dirt
You will be allowed to drive your gear in, prior to 2pm Friday arvo. All cars must be removed after that time. We'd like to keep it open longer but there will be so much happening around the village that we can't risk it.
Sweet, at least we know for sure and can plan around it. ;)

Better get my butt down there earlier than I was planning. lol

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Yes it will. Those cars you mention are a major issue for access, including for emergencies. They also become an issue come home time as they generally go against the flow (being already packed) and yeah. The poor gate marshals get the abuse...
Thanks for the reply. Valid points, i guess i wasn't trying to have a go or anything, just wanted to find out _exactly_ what is happening. So presumably someones going to go around after 2pm Friday and tell everyone who has the cars at the campsite to move them out to the carpark.

rideabike

Likes Bikes
Once cars are removed from the campsites prior to the 2pm deadline, is there a separate parking area for competitors, or is it everyone (competitors/spectators) for the main car park on your right as you enter the park?

I remember this was a nightmare trying to get out after the world champs last year. Not having a go, just curious as to how the capacity of the car park will hold up. Also, would there be 24hr security guards walking around these car parks? I have heard of cars been broken into at night during 24's at Stromlo which were parked up top.

Cheers

Knopey

Likes Dirt
They sure do :confused: So remember peeps, they're there for fun and to enjoy the weekend just like you :)
Then again Rotorburners wouldn't be the sort to drive at gate marshals :)

nskz

Likes Dirt
So just to make it clear you can't drive a car in say 7am Saturday morning and KEEP it within your 4/6 (not on the road/edge, within) campsite for the entirety of the event?

If this is true and given it's not how it has been previously or at the Mont etc, between 7-10am Saturday morning I'd expect an absolute clusterf@#. Is this widely publicised? Because if not a lot of people are going to rock up Saturday morning expecting to be able to drive their car in/drop off or leave it in there and are going to be throughly surprised when it's not the case. Combine a 2-3hr journey, the anticipation of the upcoming race and wanting to get setup etc and I sure wouldn't want to be those gate marshals....

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info. Glad I looked in this tread as its the only place that I've seen it discussed!

Any idea if you can leave the car on your site if there is plenty of room for the duration of the weekend rather then move it to some distant carpark?
I know it sounds petty but it would make life so much easier for some of us "solo" riders

cheers!

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Rode the published course yesterday. Can't say I enjoyed it at all. There is an awful lot of 'going up' despite no major climbs. The track is rocky and rough and has absolutely no 'flow' except for about 800 metres on the way back to the start - not much out of 18 km. There are so many rocky corners that keeping up momentum is almost impossible. If I was a beginner I would say there is no 'enjoyment' on this track. I believe pinch flats and torn sidewalls will be very common over the weekend. The night lap will be a struggle.

Rode the blue track today - it's top notch - had a blast. :):) The track is in great nick and accolades to all who have repaired the quagmire sections from a month or so back. It is very flowing once you get to the top and the various bermed sections, table tops etc are awesome. Just watch some of those tabletops if you haven't ridden them before. There will be a few tricky sections that may catch a few out but we all were beginners once so a bit of patience will go a long way. Overall should be a fun track for the majority.

(We had time to ride cardiac climb and hammerhead - there were some badly rutted sections there which resulted in one riders front wheel descending into a qugmire and over the bars trick - just after the creek jump and before the last climb to the downhill bridge, so if anyone is riding this section - beware! Not that its even in the Scott).

frensham

Likes Dirt
So just to make it clear you can't drive a car in say 7am Saturday morning and KEEP it within your 4/6 (not on the road/edge, within) campsite for the entirety of the event?

If this is true and given it's not how it has been previously or at the Mont etc, between 7-10am Saturday morning I'd expect an absolute clusterf@#. Is this widely publicised? Because if not a lot of people are going to rock up Saturday morning expecting to be able to drive their car in/drop off or leave it in there and are going to be throughly surprised when it's not the case. Combine a 2-3hr journey, the anticipation of the upcoming race and wanting to get setup etc and I sure wouldn't want to be those gate marshals....
Totally agree. Since 2007 cars have been allowed in the camping areas. That this total change in policy is not mentioned on the official website tells me it ain't going to be policed. I cannot see any issue in having your vehicle within the area allocated for your team. Nowhere in the rules does it say you must camp in a tent.... what if my accommodation is my car??

Blingerific

Likes Dirt

And the result has generally been absolute mayhem, especially at Stromlo. The Mont has been lucky to have less teams but oodles more camping (at Majura and Sparrow's particularly).

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info. Glad I looked in this tread as its the only place that I've seen it discussed!

Any idea if you can leave the car on your site if there is plenty of room for the duration of the weekend rather then move it to some distant carpark?
I know it sounds petty but it would make life so much easier for some of us "solo" riders

cheers!
All cars will need to be removed. With the solo camping this year space is a premium for all. And the camping areas up around Homeview have three tracks going through them that we (the event staff) may need access to at any time.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Totally agree. Since 2007 cars have been allowed in the camping areas. That this total change in policy is not mentioned on the official website tells me it ain't going to be policed. I cannot see any issue in having your vehicle within the area allocated for your team. Nowhere in the rules does it say you must camp in a tent.... what if my accommodation is my car??
This is a very different event. I see many issues with vehicles in the camping areas, they block roads, get parked in front of gates, get fences pulled down to get to areas they are not meant to be in and a myriad of other issues. And when they come into race HQ asking for a broadcast because another vehicle has blocked them in they become an anchor for event staff.

PrOd

Likes Dirt
I will be arriving Friday evening. How far away will parking be from the camp sites? I'm not going to have enough free space to bring a wheel barrow so hopefully it's not too far :(

frensham

Likes Dirt
This is a very different event. I see many issues with vehicles in the camping areas, they block roads, get parked in front of gates, get fences pulled down to get to areas they are not meant to be in and a myriad of other issues. And when they come into race HQ asking for a broadcast because another vehicle has blocked them in they become an anchor for event staff.
So, we can expect to see an announcement on the website, when?????? There will be a lot of riders not reading this forum who will turn up without the capacity to carry their tents and gear from the carpark. The least that should be done is to warn everyone of the change in policy.

orphic

Likes Bikes
Can anyone tell me what kind of team changes I can make at this late stage?

I am down one member in a mixed three and having issues finding a replacement. Can I change it to a pair and be refunded the difference?

mooze

Likes Bikes
Scott 24Hr thread on twitter will be done from HQ using #scott24hr. I'll be tweeting @scott24hr2010

Please feel free to add in as you feel as I'll be covering both WSC and Scott24

drew.d

Likes Bikes
For those guys who have ridden some or all of the teams track... what's your estimate on an average lap time?

And for comparison, what was last years? Somewhere in the vicinity of an hour..?