Video makers 'post here'

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whats the best HD camera these days for DVD production? Thinking of moving up from my old VX2100. Filming MTB and motorsports.

3 - 4k budget.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
whats the best HD camera these days for DVD production? Thinking of moving up from my old VX2100. Filming MTB and motorsports.

3 - 4k budget.
If you're talking film specific, the Z1 is up there, but even still, the Canon 7D is becoming on of the most popular cameras for filming on the market. If you were to spend money on good lenses, that would be the way to go I'd say.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing is that the canon range 5D / 7D / 1D etc... are all still primarily digital still camera's first and video camera's second, so they are not as convenient as what a video camera is to use to actually record, but they still put out amazing image's. I myself own a 7D and then a range of film camera's, and the 7D is great to just grab really quickly and go and shoot something, but I would prefer to shoot with film anyday over digital :)

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes reading that article there seems to be quiet a few limitations with the 5D and some of the stuff I video I can't really ask the guys to do it again.

I'm hearing you on the film camera, I have a Nikon FE, some of my photos below.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?173012-Vietnam-amp-Cambodia-in-Colour-film

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?171731-Vietnam-in-Black-amp-White-Film
I remember looking at those quite a while ago, when I get around to actually shooting something worth while on my camera's ill put it up, they are also video film camera's not still by the way, should buy a still film cam, that would be sick!

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I have to say I hadn't really considered a still photo camera even though I was aware they made good video these days, my mate who does a lot of my compositing has a 5D and he has produced some nice video but I'm still not sure how easy to use these are in the field compared to a video camera.

This article sums it up I guess

http://www.ozdox.org/news/canon-eos-5d-mkii-the-dslr-as-video-camera-is-it-a-revolution-or-what/
That was a great article, thanks for posting that one up.
Seeing as I never shoot pics, and never really want to, I think I'm just going to get a video specific camera next.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
If you're talking film specific, the Z1 is up there, but even still, the Canon 7D is becoming on of the most popular cameras for filming on the market. If you were to spend money on good lenses, that would be the way to go I'd say.
I don't really think the Z1 is up anywhere, anymore.

I would love to see the death of these cameras ASAP. IQ, dynamic range, CCD sensors, colour bleeding, chromatic abberation, horrible flare lines, low bit rate, rubbish/impractical codecs and tape format...all bad.

The form factor is the only thing that these cameras still have, and a decent 5D/7D setup with an IS lens is very easy to use.
VDSLR's produce sharper, cleaner images with better codecs, higher bit-rates, much better control over DOF, beautiful flares, less noise and a huge dynamic range advantage.

If you know your way around cameras, are confident in what you shoot, and have the ability to focus manually...the VDSLR revolution is a no-brainer.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But what are the limitations of the VDSLR for filming fast moving objects? I need to be able to zoom in and out quickly without losing focus, from what I read the VDSLR is not capable of this?

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
But what are the limitations of the VDSLR for filming fast moving objects? I need to be able to zoom in and out quickly without losing focus, from what I read the VDSLR is not capable of this?
Zooming is fine, although a mechanical zoom and not a servo zoom. If your aperture is high enough it will not lose focus. The biggest downside to a VDSLR for fast moving objects is the rolling shutter, which makes the image skew and wobble at speed.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt
The biggest downside to a VDSLR for fast moving objects is the rolling shutter, which makes the image skew and wobble at speed.
You can fix Rolling shutter in post fairly easily now olly.

And your right, the old Z1's and small imager video cameras will die out soon, I believe they already have. VDSLR's are taking over for now, I just hope they improve Dynamic range, compression algorithms and bit-rates in the near future. Fingers crossed that Red will get there shit together soon.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Contemplating whethere to throw a demo reel up for 2010 now, or after the national series. I intend on travelling to every round and doing a lot of filming over Summer, so it be a bit of a shame to leave it out as I can really see myself getting my best footage so far, with a lot of diverse opportunities.
What do you guys think, quick throw up? Maybe a minute or so long, of the off-season in Australia?

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Contemplating whethere to throw a demo reel up for 2010 now, or after the national series. I intend on travelling to every round and doing a lot of filming over Summer, so it be a bit of a shame to leave it out as I can really see myself getting my best footage so far, with a lot of diverse opportunities.
What do you guys think, quick throw up? Maybe a minute or so long, of the off-season in Australia?
I wouldn't mind seeing it :)

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Zooming is fine, although a mechanical zoom and not a servo zoom. If your aperture is high enough it will not lose focus. The biggest downside to a VDSLR for fast moving objects is the rolling shutter, which makes the image skew and wobble at speed.
Can you link me to any videos showing some fast moving action shot on VDSLR? I'm finding lots of videos with nice shallow DOF but those kinds of shots get old pretty quick in an action sports DVD and I also notice the shots going in and out of focus very easy.

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Can you link me to any videos showing some fast moving action shot on VDSLR? I'm finding lots of videos with nice shallow DOF but those kinds of shots get old pretty quick in an action sports DVD and I also notice the shots going in and out of focus very easy.
Search: Coastal Crew.