Video makers 'post here'

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Any reason, in particular? Mostly just for ergonomic reasons?

Also Olly, what you said, I agree with to an extent, but there is the whole issue with the zoom/focus rings too, which play a HUGE part in DSLR filming, moreso focus of course as autofocus isn't really an option.

I have a lens which uses the front element of the lens to focus, and then L series glass too, focusing via the dedicated focus ring on L series glass, or any other lens with a reasonably sized dedicated focus ring, for that matter is a lot easier than using the front element that is typically found on kit style e-fs lenses. So although you may not be selling yourself short optically in not buying L, you may find (well I do anyway) that getting a smooth shot is a lot harder by using cheaper glass, with manual focus configurations such as focussing via the front element.

To a very minor extent, this does make a difference. But they're basically all rubbish for focusing manually (including the L lenses). I wouldn't even consider this a relevant factor because it's really comparing apples to apples.

If you want a lens that you can focus manually, properly, get one with a long throw like the zeiss primes. Expect to pay big $$ for them though.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
To a very minor extent, this does make a difference. But they're basically all rubbish for focusing manually (including the L lenses). I wouldn't even consider this a relevant factor because it's really comparing apples to apples.

If you want a lens that you can focus manually, properly, get one with a long throw like the zeiss primes. Expect to pay big $$ for them though.
In light of this; would you say that the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar is worth so much more than the canon 50mm 1.4? Got my eyes on one of the two, leaning toward the Zeiss because I'll probably never need to buy another 50mm after owning it.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
DD, if you really can't be arsed with it all then just get the 18-135 kit lens as you probably can't be bothered changing lenses and this will pretty much cover the whole range.
No point going for a more expensive prosumer cam just because you don't have to (cant) choose the lens.

Zeiss lenses are NOT needed! Yes they are nice, but for DD's sake let's not confuse things.
Older MF lenses like Helios, Takumar's, Soligor etc do have longer throw and are easier to focus with while being very affordable but I wouldn't be discouraged by the kit lenses just because of this.

If you can be arsed doing a little ground work and want to learn a little more about shooting and If your budget is really tight, go for the kit 18-55, you will use this only when you need the wide angle you get with 18mm. Any focal length less than 28mm is hard to find in old MF lenses. Then, grab a 28 or 35mm, a 50 or 55mm and an 85 or 135mm MF lens of all around f2.8.

You will then have all your bases covered with some nice cheap MF glass. And the good part of this approach is that you don't have to buy it all at once. Yes, the kit 18-55 is not ideal bit if you only use it for it's wider (18-28mm) range then focusing is not as much of an issue.

Yes, it can be a little confusing but having option is a good thing.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
So basically you're saying, in light of saving roughly $2000 I don't give a shit because I don't want to spend the time to work it out?
I'm under the impression good lenses cost atleast $500+ sometimes up to $1000+, and I'd want to be getting the best quality out of the camera, and you need to have good lenses for that, right?
So the way I see it, I'm going to want to have two lenses, a zoom and a more "static" lense. Let's just say the lenses cost $800 x 2 = $1600...
So, from there, you still need to get the camera body, that's another $1200+ atleast.
Then you have the issue of audio. I've heard that the audio is fairly flimsy, and that it's worth investing in a RODE Vid Mic, that's atleast another $300.
Next is memory cards, let's jsut say $50 for an 8GB card, if you're lucky. For what I'm doing I'd need 2. That's another $100 to pile on.
Then there's extra batteries, don't have a clue how much they are, but I'd say it would be a couple of hundred. We'll jsut say $200...

All up that's just over $3400, give or take a few hundred depending on pricing.
For that money, I could be buying a nice video specific camera, something like a HDR-FX7, if not with money to spare. Obviously some of my calculations may be a bit off, I just did that all of the top of my head. But for what I'm doing, having a video specific camera might be the best way to go about investing my money.

If you have any adjustments to my calculations, please feel free to correct me, I really guessed the majority of that.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Gym Junkies - Teaser

Well we have been slack recently, and we still haven't finished our next film "Gym Junkies". So here's a short teaser for it.

[video=youtube;dhtsmMr_RhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhtsmMr_RhE[/video]

comments appreciated.
enjoy

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
In light of this; would you say that the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar is worth so much more than the canon 50mm 1.4? Got my eyes on one of the two, leaning toward the Zeiss because I'll probably never need to buy another 50mm after owning it.
Well, since I own one I would certainly say 'yes'. The Canon 50 1.4 isn't bad, but the zeiss is in a world of its own. It is more so the colours, contrast and bokeh that make it really stand out (and sharpness of course). I would take it over a Canon 50 1.2L any day. For video work it's a no brainer, the focus ring is unreal.

If it's a bit of a stretch, the sigma 50 1.4 is actually very good too. I wouldn't really bother with the Canon.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I'm under the impression good lenses cost atleast $500+ sometimes up to $1000+, and I'd want to be getting the best quality out of the camera, and you need to have good lenses for that, right?
So the way I see it, I'm going to want to have two lenses, a zoom and a more "static" lense. Let's just say the lenses cost $800 x 2 = $1600...
So, from there, you still need to get the camera body, that's another $1200+ atleast.
Then you have the issue of audio. I've heard that the audio is fairly flimsy, and that it's worth investing in a RODE Vid Mic, that's atleast another $300.
Next is memory cards, let's jsut say $50 for an 8GB card, if you're lucky. For what I'm doing I'd need 2. That's another $100 to pile on.
Then there's extra batteries, don't have a clue how much they are, but I'd say it would be a couple of hundred. We'll jsut say $200...

All up that's just over $3400, give or take a few hundred depending on pricing.
For that money, I could be buying a nice video specific camera, something like a HDR-FX7, if not with money to spare. Obviously some of my calculations may be a bit off, I just did that all of the top of my head. But for what I'm doing, having a video specific camera might be the best way to go about investing my money.

If you have any adjustments to my calculations, please feel free to correct me, I really guessed the majority of that.
For about $1200 you can get a body and lens kit (which includes an 18-135 IS lens).
Get a 50 1.8 prime on top of that, $150
RODE Videomic is about $150
Cards, $100
Extra battery is about $100

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
@Downhill domination, lenses don't have to be that expensive. Even a 60D or 550D with older cheap primes will be far better than an FX7. At least you can upgrade the lenses on a DSLR if required unlike the FX7 which you are stuck with and need to upgrade the whole camera at once. The DSLR is a great option as it's modular and those old lenses will outlast many camera bodies.
Even with the FX7, if you want good audio you still should invest In a decent mic and you will still need a few extra batteries. You probably won't get an HDV deck so will use the camera to ingest your footage onto your NLE. This adds wear and tear to the head and maintenence costs. Not only that, but shooting MTB can get dirty and dusty and crap on your heads leads to more maintenence, dropouts etc. These aren't dealbreakers for the FX7 but things to consider in the long run.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here are some prices (roughly) of the things in my kit

Canon 7D Body - $1700
Canon 24 - 70 2.8 Lens - $1600
Rode Video Mic - $150
Canon battery grip $280
3 Canon batteries - $260 (not including the one with the camera body)
LCD eye cup - $100 (I just got this, highly recommend)
32GB Card - $100
16BG Card - $60
50mm Lens - $200
Backpack - $100
FireWire Card Reader - $100
HD GoPro - $460

not cheap, however, this kit isn't as basic as you can go, and everything in it isn't needed for everyone, but all of this stuff is great and I couldn't film without some of it.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jakey are those prices based on buying in Australia or somewhere like B&H in the states?

While on this topic if you guys had plenty of money would you choose a 5Dmk2 or a 7D for DVD production?

I have two old Nikkor lenses, a 50mm 1.2 and a 24mm 1.2 could these be used for video with either of the above bodies?

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jakey are those prices based on buying in Australia or somewhere like B&H in the states?

While on this topic if you guys had plenty of money would you choose a 5Dmk2 or a 7D for DVD production?

I have two old Nikkor lenses, a 50mm 1.2 and a 24mm 1.2 could these be used for video with either of the above bodies?
Those are prices from eBay Australia, some from Canon stores online on eBay with full warranty. Some stuff was from china such as the back pack, but everything for the camera it's self was from an online canon store/ dealer. I didn't want to use knock off batteries or lenses, or anything for that matter. I got the Rode Video Mic from eBay also, as it is an Australian product it was no worries getting one what a warranty either.

I would go the 7D, which I did. I watched many contrasting videos and reviews and over all the 7D won in my books.

Couldn't tell you if those lenses could be used.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Ok, so if I am reading correctly, as long as I manage my money well, It could be a good idea to go for a 60D?
Does anyone know of a zoom lense that will be ideal for around $500, ideally, I don't want to be spending anymore than that for a lense.

Far out I wish lenses were generic, could all fit to each camera, and were a hell of a lot cheaper!

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Far out I wish lenses were generic, could all fit to each camera, and were a hell of a lot cheaper!
I wish it could be like that with everything! Dad would have purchased a new Camaro then. haha.
Also all my T90 Lenses would work with my 7D.
Not to mention Mac to Windows...

But back to your lens question, for that price your not going to get the best glass. However I understand the money issue. Does it have to be zoom?

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt

I'd choose a 5D... not sure about the lenses, but I'm sure you could get some converters.

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
Ty..
I've been doing a bit of research and i am going for a Canon 60D with a 18-135 kit lens. This is mainly because at the moment i am not prepared to spend money on something like a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L USM or similar.. Honestly, i don't think the people watching my films will be able to tell much difference between the two different lenses. (This is depending on who is watching but for the time being, the 18-135mm lens or somthing similar should be fine for my needs)
And you would be suprised how cheap stuff is on the interent.. You can save hundreds compared to your local camera store..

I'll most likley be purchasing my equiptment from http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=3118

Only problem is its a grey import.. meaning you can't just send it to your local canon store if you have a problem with your camera.. It has to be sent back to where you purchsed it from but this doesn't seem like a big problem for me..

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
PersonalIy would not bother with ANY L series lenses (as your widest lens) with a 24mm - ??mm range unless going for a 5D. On a crop sensor (550,7,60D) that 24 turns into a 36mm - ??mm. Not really wide enough. The ultimate zoom for crop sensors is a 17-55 2.8.

Ultimately, if you make a great film the fact that it was shot on a kit lens rather than a Zeiss or L series is not going to matter. DSLR's do give you the possibility of shallow DOF and it's great for story telling/being able to direct the audience to where you want in the frame. That is why I would say go for a DSLR if you are into film making. If it means you can only afford the kit lens then fine. If you put the kit lens in the hands of a great DP then they will get great results.

Don't get too caught up in the kit. Buy what you can now and make films!

Last edited: