making my bmx lighter

Riding Hoares

Likes Dirt
hey my bmx is to heavy for me to do anything descent on it at the moment. can i have some advice on how to make it lighter the cheapest way possible. P9020347.jpgP9020349.jpgP9020348.jpgP9020350.jpg.

man, firstly i would get rid of the giro and just run either no brakes or only a back brake, this will save it some grams, also if you were using it for dj, park street etc. I would run a much smaller sprocket, these are only some of the things that wont break the bank.

Cheers,
Sam:D

*edit* By the way, lose the relectors.

luke_30

Likes Bikes
if you get a smaller sproket you will also have to shorten your chain so theres a little bit more weight saved, also try plastic peddles they are only like $30 odd depending on which brand you choose to go with, cut your seat post and slam it wont be saving alot but every little bit counts, definatly only run rear brakes if you want brakes, other then that cant really help you sorry mate

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow bmx fellas asking how to save weight, i guess there are weight weenies amongst all of us, though what does it weigh right now? 5-8kg?

ride a 26" dj for a bit then come back to the bmx and you will fly for miles.

you could also look at a seat with integrated post. (plastic one)

Last edited:

Riding Hoares

Likes Dirt
haah i also ride an stp which is probably about the same weight. yeah i think i might cut my seat post take my gyro off and take the front brake off

luke_30

Likes Bikes
how much does your bike weigh atm???

it would have to be close to being around 14 15 kilo mark ???

Last edited:

luke_30

Likes Bikes
that should be prett close to what i run mine at i think i have never really checked. it shouldnt be too hard to ride though.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WHAT 13kg serous :confused: my dmr is just on that in at 15kg, and there is not very much light gear on it

luke_30

Likes Bikes
yeah thats what i thought too when i first started thinking about weights off my bike.

put it this way one of my mates has put together the lightest bike i have ever felt(other then bmx race bikes) and it weighs in at just over 10 kg

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even so, im still shocked that there is very little difference between the 20" and 26" given that my frame is not a kick in the ass off a BMX sizing. there is 2.4kg of naked wheel set, dmr crank set that is just shy of a tonne.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
If you get a smaller sprocket, your gonna have to go a smaller driver too, otherwise your gear ratio will be out.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
:take off front brake and make the rear brake dual cable with the gyro
:Different seat, maybe something like the Eclat Complex fixed angle combo
:smaller sprocket (only downside if you get a 25 tooth you need a new rear 9 tooth hub to match the ratio,but you could always just get a 28 tooth and a ten tooth driver )
:plastic pedals

Thats about as far as you can go without spending loads