Stromlo Closed Too

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
How far from Canberra? What type of riding/trails?
About 3 hours from Canberra, You can also visit Bermagui which has a good MTB park, that is about 30 minutes north of Tathra, then 30 minutes south of Tathra you have Merrimbula which I have been told has some nice trails although I have never ridden there.

AMB featured the Tathra trails a couple of years ago.

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
I was about to suggest the Mogo trails before remembering the whole 'Angry Doctor' incident :s. But yeah anywhere along the Sapphire Coast; so Bermagui, Tathra, Merimbula, all these are tops trails. We've got a property just outside Bermi so we ride those trails all the time. They're a nice change up from Canberra's trails, a little tighter and steeper. That said for all I know they could have copped just as much abuse as the Canberra trails have:confused:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as i will be flying to canberra, somewhere that didn't require hours of driving would be good. I did have free accomodation in canberra, so it would have been better if I could have ridden Stromlo.

Rather than head north, which would be too far to nice trails (Ourimbah, Awaba?), I have been looking south at some of the suggestions of Bermagui and the like.
I have also been doing some googling and looked at Thredbo, which is only 2.5hrs drive?

What is the go with this area? Do you have to pay to ride at Thredbo or Jindabyne?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
What is the go with this area? Do you have to pay to ride at Thredbo or Jindabyne?
Not at Jindy, but you will have to pay park entry fees to Thredbo. Thredbo has also had a fair amount of rain. (the river flooded for the 3rd time this year)

mella060

Likes Dirt
Seeing as i will be flying to canberra, somewhere that didn't require hours of driving would be good. I did have free accomodation in canberra, so it would have been better if I could have ridden Stromlo.

Rather than head north, which would be too far to nice trails (Ourimbah, Awaba?), I
Has anybody mentioned Wingello/Appin ?... which are a lot closer to Canberra then the above mentioned trails. Wingello is around 1.5 hours from Canberra up the highway towards Sydney and Appin is around 2 hours drive up the highway.

From what ive read, both offer top riding and definitely worth a look.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anybody mentioned Wingello/Appin ?... which are a lot closer to Canberra then the above mentioned trails. Wingello is around 1.5 hours from Canberra up the highway towards Sydney and Appin is around 2 hours drive up the highway.

From what ive read, both offer top riding and definitely worth a look.
Thanks for that. I actually rode Wingello after Dirtworks this year when we tripped around for a week in a big whooparse camper. My impression of Wingello was nice single track, but lots of fire roads to get there. It was also the coldest place on earth;)

We didn't get to Appin last time, so could be a posibility. How much single trail and what type of riding?

Looking for something reasonable challenging. Really enjoyed Ourimbah last time. Not that challenging, but so much fun!!

hipdos

Likes Bikes
Appin would be perfect for you if you want something a bit more technical than Ourimbah but not too extreme. It is about 95% single track, about a 10 km loop(?).
Lots more rocks, but there is always a line, you just have to work out where it is! You just keep doing laps and it gets better with each one...

Appin is fantastic and handles the rain really well.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
I have ridden Appin, Mt Annan and Wingello all in the last two days. They are all very dry with hardly a puddle between the three of them. Wingello has lots of leaf litter across the trail and Mt Annan was just bloody hot with a lack of vegetation cover. I loved Appin. Its in great shape. It was the first time I had ridden the trail although I will be back for more. Some had told me in the past that it was rough as guts and stay clear. I found it had a variety of trail from smooth singletrack to challenging drop offs. It scored high on the fun metre. Go there!!!!!!!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
My mate was down there a couple of days ago riding the ST's off Dog Trap Rd and they were in good nick, apparently.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Has anyone ridden Superbowl/Coondoo/Cabbage Tree in the last couple of days. Can anyone comment on the state of these trails. I know the Scum race was called off on the weekend although it looks like there has been some very good drying weather since.:confused:

song

Likes Dirt
hey guys i'm going to head over to Stromlo about next week... you reckon most of the trails will re open by then? have the trails been drying up fast?:cool:

krisko

Likes Dirt
Main trunk trail is now decent to ride. Other trails are still closed.

You still have Sparrow Hill and Archer rode (2011 Mont course 14km), Bruce Ridge, Jerraboberra trails all in good nick

dbm081

Likes Bikes
Krisko, any pointers on accessing the archer road trails you mentioned? I rode the new trails at orchard road opposite sparrow hill this afternoon, well what I could locate anyhow.

Cheers

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Majura was a joke a few days ago and with more rain two nights ago I'm sure its worse. Anyone looking at riding there I would suggest you respect the trails and not add to the 15cm bog I saw in a few sections.

I spent 15 minutes there and turned around and went home. Its no good ruining the already damaged trails.

I've been riding Bruce Ridge the last two weeks, trails are in very good nic in comparison to Majura and Stromlo. I'm surprised more people haven't been out at Bruce great single track and an excellent place to do a bit of skills work on the short switch back descents.

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
Stromlo

The tracks are dry but the issue is more around rutted sections and loose sand. Agreed the trunk trail and down sky line and the luge are good, deep creek and the flat sections going back to the main car park are also good. The trails coming down the hill on the back side are rough as but I enjoyed the older trail (i.e not beginners down hill).

Mogo

I rode Mogo the other day and followed the marked course. It was clear and lots of fun till about 3/4 of the way round where we came across a heap of fallen trees on the single track. We hiked it to the next fire road then rode the fire road to snake track. Snake track is in awesome condition.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
I was planning to go there as part of a family trip in a fortnight, any news or info whether Stromlo is likely to be open by then?

song

Likes Dirt
I was planning to go there as part of a family trip in a fortnight, any news or info whether Stromlo is likely to be open by then?
it is open and i'm planing to go in a week except apparently only a few trails are open, the rest a "closed" because of rain damage? i'm just hoping that there's just lots of dry winds and sunshine to restore it to the bone dry trails i love! :cool::cool::cool:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it is open and i'm planing to go in a week except apparently only a few trails are open, the rest a "closed" because of rain damage? i'm just hoping that there's just lots of dry winds and sunshine to restore it to the bone dry trails i love! :cool::cool::cool:
Just returned home from there and the Stromlo trails are dry. The trails that are closed, are due to erosion issues caused by the high volume of rain. I wouldn't think they will be open soon, as they will need to be repaired before they can be ridden safely and witholut causing more damage, due to trail widening from people riding around the damage.