Jet Black 24 Hours 2011

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
feeling hot hot hot

Thanks for posting the hot weather reads. Motto for the weekend will be drink like a fish! I raced the Croc Trophy last year and every of the 10 days the temperature was well into the 30s. Preparation is key and I had zero cramps or other heat related problems during the entire race. Learning from that experience here is our plan how to attack the forecasted heat on the weekend:

- as mentioned earlier we purchased water spray guns and will have them at timing/transition as well as on the hill climb

- on top of the climb will be an additional water station in case you run out

- Verofit will have a $20 electrolyte drink canister special. You can get that at the timing tent at registration. You can also stock up on gels and bars at the Rocky Trail Warehouse: http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/index.php
We will bring the purchased products to the event with us.

- we asked the resort to stock up on ice

- most riders are in teams so cooling down in between laps is crucial. There is a river and a pool for that.

- start getting your fluids up on Thursday (!) already. Drinking a lot in the lead up helps a lot. Whenever you walk around the event centre do that with a water bottle in your hand (you will all get one at registration). This reminds you that you constantly need to drink.

- as always at our events: safety comes first. If we think it is unsafe to continue the race we will pause it, however don't expect us to do that just because it is hot.

At the end of the day it is all about having fun and you have to judge for yourself when you are not having it anymore. The night and Sunday morning won't be a problem temperature wise. So it is only Saturday afternoon that might be an issue. If you think that you can race better if you pause for a few hours, cool down and then attack the night and the next day harder that might end up being a good strategy as well as fun :cool:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Errr, where are you getting that from? Weatherzone says 36 nearby.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/wisemans-ferry

Mid-20's as a minimum, sure ;)
Errr, it was the Bureau and that's what it said at the time, i figured it was an error 'cos every other report I had read or heard up until then had said mid thirty's, thanks for the clarification.
The shower or two thing ain't an error, even weatherzone has that. That was more the point as someone had been hoping for rain.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Errr, it was the Bureau and that's what it said at the time, i figured it was an error 'cos every other report I had read or heard up until then had said mid thirty's, thanks for the clarification.
The shower or two thing ain't an error, even weatherzone has that. That was more the point as someone had been hoping for rain.
Bring on the Rain!!! damn I'm a sadist:(

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am a track marshall for this event, not entirely sure what i have to do. Seeing as though it will be 38 on Saturday, with 50% chance of storm, i guess i will be busy helping other cope with the heat, then the storm. Will be a very interesting weekend.

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
I am a track marshall for this event, not entirely sure what i have to do. Seeing as though it will be 38 on Saturday, with 50% chance of storm, i guess i will be busy helping other cope with the heat, then the storm. Will be a very interesting weekend.
Just remember to cope with the heat well yourself, drink plenty of water, hide in shade if possible etc.
Quite often the people not riding forget they need to drink loads as well. :eek::eek:
Maybe you can have the job of spraying us with water. I will be sure to slow down for that one. ;)
But seriously, glad you are helping out, the volunteers are essential to make the event possible.
Jeff.

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Hi all, unfortunately due to being unwell I can't make the race this weekend, and I have booked a Villa for tonight and tomorrow night. If anyone wants to take it off my hands I will happily part with it for some sort of heavily reduced rate. Feel free to PM me or call me on 0412 034 756. Cheers

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
the heat

ok so its 1pm at my place at waverton, temp here is currently 38.9, so at wisemans ferry im guessing its over 40 degrees, anyone know if they are actually racing in this heat? at what point do they stop it due to heat? as much as im a believer in a good cup of harden the f@!K up, isnt it a bit dangerous in this heat?
i did the race last year, and that firetrail hill climb today would unimaginably brutal in this heat, hate to say it but i wont be surprised if there is a serious medical or two today out there
if you are all racing, your mad..... good luck

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heard on the news that it was still 33C at midnight and didn't drop below 27 all night.

Testing conditions!

bakers

Likes Bikes
Heard on the news that it was still 33C at midnight and didn't drop below 27 all night.

Testing conditions!
Think I would have preferred the mud of last year. At least you could put your head down and tuff it out (plus a "few" brake pads).
I was thinking what would of been the strategy this year if I was riding... try to make it to the night than start racing but with 33 at midnight there would of been nowhere to recover.

Well done to those who are out there racing.

Bob

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am. In. Pain. Give me the rain any day!

Overall I believe it was:

1. Bernard Beer 4
2. Ed McDonald's Pair

I believe Jason English took a comfortable win in the Solos, but took some time off the track after Ed's pair and the Bernard Beer 4 broke him around 3am (crazy stuff: a) English cracking b) a pair, a four and a solo contesting the overall)

From memory there were 7 <40 male solos and 5 40+
there were 21 male solo 6+6 solos

Craig aka Mr Enduropulse 's cycling computer recorded a temp of 47 on the climb (so awful in the sun gahhh!)

I for one have neverspent so much time not on the bike (during a race) ever (well except for the 12 hours at last years wash out :p)

-Andrew

P.S. Had a lovely trip over the bars on the fast descent down from the fire road - teared up the whole right hand side of my body. The Pink first aid team were using honey (Capilano not homebrand in case you were interested) as an antibacterial agent under the bandages (where most people would normally use betadine) he said science suggested that was the most appropriate course of action... can anybody comment?

P.P.S. I love that 661 S Bend sooo very much (even though I nearly go over the bars every single time)

Last edited:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Where is everyone? Keen for the war stories (ala Angry Doc a few years back)!

Australia, drawing on my old work (medical company), I think the deal with not using betadine is that it pretty much nukes everything in the wound, both good (healing) and bad bacteria. Unless you were wounded in some very festy circumstances, just using saline or some such then dressing properly is the way to go. As for honey, I have no idea!!

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Back... shattered...

Thought that I'd take it easy and just race in a mixed team of 4 for fun for a change...

Well... team of 4 had turned into a team of 3 by the start line. Oh well, how hard could it be?

Well, it became apparent that our strategy of riding doubles wasn't going to work - one of our team members just wasn't up to riding doubles in that heat (she was going around in the 45 min mark or so...)

I got up to go out for a '4' at 12:30... it was still 30'... then another team member overslept and my '4' turned into a '6'...

Did another 3 laps at around 7:30... came in and my team basically revolted. We pulled the pin at about 10:30 or so - I think we were running 4th in he mixed 4's... I think we were gaining but I just wasn't up to burying myself and doing another triple to try and catch up.

Hard race... highlight was the couple of laps on the crosser - not a bad bike for the course... managed to ride everything (sub 31min lap) but in hindsight should have got off at the 661 descent, rolled the tyre off the rim - managed to get it reseated but it failed at the start of the downhill of my second lap. Fsck thats a long run!

As always... an excellently run event and the venue is great. Not sure I'd want to solo there (and my hat goes off to those who braved it out) but as a team event its great - the fam loved the idea of transition from an airconditioned lounge room!

Sorry for the lack of results but Bernard beer won the 4's and overall. Jason won the solos.

There were quite a few injuries (that rock garden was _nasty_ if you didn't carry a bit of speed into it!)

Zenith

Likes Bikes
What a race, I think every one is sleeping and recovering.

As for war stories, there was lots of crashes, I seen heaps of riders go past me with bandages on or dirt over their backs, my team mates both went over the bars, one of them twice through the shimano banner and down the ditch. I heard there was a broken collar bone for one rider and I did see 2 ambulances leave.

As for the heat, I'm glad I was only doing the 6+6. the climb was a killer, our team had a hose and used it like a cold shower after and before each lap, or jerseys were dry by half way up the climb.

All in all a good ride :)

guyc

Squid
Enjoyed it

I would never have thought I could enjoy an event in that sort of heat, but I did! Was in a team of mixed 4s, we did all just did single laps followed by pool/river/shower and double laps overnight when it had cooled down a bit.

Very well run event, and definitely the most family friendly around.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
P.S. Had a lovely trip over the bars on the fast descent down from the fire road - teared up the whole right hand side of my body. The Pink first aid team were using honey (Capilano not homebrand in case you were interested) as an antibacterial agent under the bandages (where most people would normally use betadine) he said science suggested that was the most appropriate course of action... can anybody comment?
Yep - I imagine that the first aid crew was the same as at the Rocky Trail event at stromlo late last year. I came off quite badly and needed some repairs down my right arm and they put honey all over it. It cleared my arm up within the week. A bit weird to get that kind of treatment but glad its natural and not chemical.

Last edited: