Women, etc.

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
Ive been thinking about what she said and why she said it. Im one to talk things out straight away, no BS.

+1. You just got tagged, fight it while you can
While i thought so too, we had a chat about it all and came to a conclusion. Marrige is simply a public decleration of love. And signing a peice of paper or somefing.

With that in mind we both agreed, getting married is wayyyyyyyyyyyy down the road. And is something for when your more of less close to your 30's as marrige for some can just add stress and pressure on the relationship. And having said that we have alot of married years ahead to come, if we were to get married that is, so why the rush. Get this lads, she even said and i quote "yeh, it would be cool just to date for ages, then if we were to get married, it would be special."

The fact we live together and so on...is basically demonstrating what married life is like i think. So like i said...why the rush :cool:

Time to go to the beach, its about one thousand degrees here.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marrige is simply a public decleration of love.
Exactly - plus in our case a good excuse for a 10 day pissup in Fiji with 30 of our mates :p

In my experience it's not a big scary thing, you'll know if/when it's right. The relationship doesn't really change if you've been living together a while. Kids and Mortgages are the things that actually change your daily lives and are a more permanent decision..........

Arete

Likes Dirt
I think that marriage is a bit of a con in this day and age, from a legal standpoint you get the same rights/tax benifets if you are de facto.
Not quite.

US immigration do not recognise de facto relationships. Spousal health insurance in the US considerably cheaper than writing in a de facto partner.

Try brokering a dual professional appointment for you and your girlfriend or having them factored into your moving allowance, or work-arranged housing... (assuming you are heterosexual, these deals are rightly different for same sex couples).

If you are trying to move internationally, or work in the same field as your partner, being married is a distinct advantage in arranging visas and nepotistic arrangements, which is a driving factor in the reason I'm doing it weekend after next... *gulp*

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Marriage. It is a funny thing.

My partner doesn't want to get married because he doesn't want to be referred to as a possession e.g. "My Husband" (Ignore the fact that "My Partner" is the same thing really. You are just being too rational)

I can't stand the thought of how much money it costs!

We had a "We're not getting married" party last year for our 7th anniversary. We had our friends and family over. It was great! (Except that it was supposed to be a surprise for my partner, but he found out)

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We didn't spend a huge amount on ours, the most expensive part was probably the reception but then again the food is generally one of the most memorable parts anyway. Would have been cheaper if they didn't have a minimum numbers requirement because as it was we had to invite a few people we barely knew to fill the gaps (like the jeweller). Got Married in Alice Springs because it was closest to the Tanami desert where we met (and we'd lived in Alice for a bit) plus his parents were in Perth and mine in Canbera so it was pretty fair to make it in the middle;)

It's nice to be married, the whole formality of it, but in hindsight even though we didn't spend a huge amount I probably would have done it on an even smaller / cheaper scale and stuff the idealisms.

Something I certainly would do again is the cake, we shipped a big Ice Cream cake from Adelaide, lol it was delivered to a local butcher for us to pick up. Didn't cost us a huge amount either, Looked great, tasted great and wasn't very expensive either.

Ivan

Eats Squid
We didn't spend a huge amount on ours, the most expensive part was probably the reception but then again the food is generally one of the most memorable parts anyway. Would have been cheaper if they didn't have a minimum numbers requirement because as it was we had to invite a few people we barely knew to fill the gaps (like the jeweller). Got Married in Alice Springs because it was closest to the Tanami desert where we met (and we'd lived in Alice for a bit) plus his parents were in Perth and mine in Canbera so it was pretty fair to make it in the middle;)

It's nice to be married, the whole formality of it, but in hindsight even though we didn't spend a huge amount I probably would have done it on an even smaller / cheaper scale and stuff the idealisms.

Something I certainly would do again is the cake, we shipped a big Ice Cream cake from Adelaide, lol it was delivered to a local butcher for us to pick up. Didn't cost us a huge amount either, Looked great, tasted great and wasn't very expensive either.
My reception cost me under $500 dollars total. I did only have 12 guests, but I told them to drink and eat as much as they wanted.

It would have been significantly dearer if the wedding planner hadn't stepped in and gave us a few hints.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
congratulations, Arete. it's a big step no matter why you do it.

i married the father of my children when the twins were three. we had a mortgage already, and his other son, who was ten by then. built a verandah on the house instead of a big wedding, got married in a sale-rack deb gown on the verandah, i catered a barbie, the local church ladies gave us flowers, my sister made the bouquets. my bridesmaid wore the gown she'd bought for her daughter's christening, a friend supplied live music as a wedding present. for 45 people it pretty much cost us the same as Ivan, about $500. it was a no-alcohol event tho :)

all i really wanted was for us to stand up in front of friends and say "well, we're committed to having a go at this."

thing is, the person i was when i married him at 25 wasn't the same woman who divorced him at 40. we had another child, i grew up, and he didn't change much over the years, he was a fair bit older than me and i guess our long-term goals shifted over time.

in my opinion, marriage or any other partnership is really all about deciding each day to commit to each other and your shared goals.

i sincerely doubt whether i'd do it again now that my child-rearing days are over.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not quite.

US immigration do not recognise de facto relationships. Spousal health insurance in the US considerably cheaper than writing in a de facto partner.

Try brokering a dual professional appointment for you and your girlfriend or having them factored into your moving allowance, or work-arranged housing... (assuming you are heterosexual, these deals are rightly different for same sex couples).

If you are trying to move internationally, or work in the same field as your partner, being married is a distinct advantage in arranging visas and nepotistic arrangements, which is a driving factor in the reason I'm doing it weekend after next... *gulp*
Congratz on getting married Arete!

Although this is just another reason that America is so backwards.

S.

ex offender
Speaking of marriage, I decided to try internet dating. Seems to be a lot like applying for jobs so far, it's fucking tedious writing these letters to photographs on the internet. Haven't had much luck so far (ok got one "that's the best introduction I've ever got" and one other "we have to meet some time!" in the last few days but I think both of them may turn out to be low self esteem goth chicks, or 50yr old dudes with herpes) and it seems way slower than going to a club and hitting on drunk chicks. Haven't really worked out a good approach yet, interested to hear some constructive criticism of a couple of my "cover letters" from the more experienced internet dating types:

#1:

Hello my african-american nigger, I am the average adult dating site male member, and despite not having actually seen you or even a particularly good picture of you, would like to compliment you on your stunning good looks. The reason I compliment you is the same reason I'd usually offer to buy you a drink - in order to substitute kind words and/or money for my total lack of personality. And looks, I forgot looks.

Speaking of looks, I am stunningly good looking. Observe my profile picture of my massive, tanned pectoral muscles, which has conveniently omitted my head just in case you later try to double check whether my photo really is of me.

Unfortunately I can't pretend to offer you any kind of wit, humour or understanding of sarcasm, but I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with me. I don't have any particular way to guarantee it except potentially to offer you a refund if you keep your receipt, but I might just lie and say you just made a fake receipt anyway.

It goes without saying that since I am on the internet, my penis is at least 50% larger than anyone else's. Despite the fact that this causes me to black out when I get hard due to my body not having the extra litre of blood required to keep me both conscious and erect, I am simply amazing in bed. You can tell this is true, because an anonymous guy (me) on the internet told you so.

Feel free to message me back if you'd like to take a drive in my brand new Lexus/Mercedes/whatever it is yuppies drive these days.

Hopefully you've gotten to this stage and understood where I'm coming from - if you haven't picked up the sarcasm, don't even bother replying. A decent pic and some ramblings about yourself would be sweet, along with a list of the 3 best (or just silliest) things you've ever done. Girls who can't actually think of 3 interesting things they've done don't make the cut, no two ways about it - shit boring people are not for me.

with extraneous, verbose and unwarranted erotic regards,
Steve

-----------------------------------------------

Dear madam,

I would like to formally apply for the position of doggy style, advertised on this website recently, via your profile. However, doggy style commonly entails me pulling your hair, which from your photos could pose a significant problem: you appear to have no head. This also makes me question your honesty, as you appear to have ticked the "oral - giving" box with no thought as to how this is going to happen when your head and mouth are both missing, presumed dead. It also brings into doubt your alleged youth and the status of your chronological deterioration from "chick" to "chook" - because I've never seen anyone "running around like a headless chick" before. And before you ask, no, I don't really know what all those big words mean.

So a little about myself for the sake of provoking conversation like an angry bear (btw bears are quite cool and you should make sure you see one in the flesh one day. I don't mean literally in the flesh, cos chances are it would be your flesh it's in, and by that time you're fucked either literally or figuratively). My name is Steve, which must be some kind of astrological coincidence because my horoscope today said I will face challenges and potentially come into contact with new people. This is coincidental because sometimes you meet new people who for some reason attack you just because your dog shat on their lawn. As a result of the potential for such attacks, I have become extremely proficient at self defence and recently built a moat.

I am looking for a girl who ticks the following boxes:
- physically attractive. Goes without saying!
- INTERESTING. Can't stress this one enough - if you actually DO interesting stuff in your life that is somewhat unusual, awesome.
- engaging. No talk, no sex, no questions. Don't care if you look like Angelina Jolie - my attention is held far more by personality than looks.
- independent & ambitious. Preferably someone with a love for travel.
- chilled out and not a total fucking psycho. For example, if you've ever told a guy you were pregnant when you weren't, that comes under the "total fucking psycho" banner, and I carefully bid you goodbye with the hope that you stay the hell away from me.
- doesn't take themselves too seriously! If you can laugh at yourself, fuckin awesome. If not, well you know the drill by now :)

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, we'll see where it goes.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
are you sure you're not a 55yro desperate and dateless man from Coffs? sounds a lot like the emails i delete without even bothering to answer....

very constructive, gotta laugh. if you can't take the p*ss out of yourself, life is pretty sad :p

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sarcasm, wit and cycnicalism... (don't ask me the word)
Atleast you couldn't be a let down in person with the first letter :p

I sent a couple of messages out before I got bored of whatever site it was
Shrieking violet recommended, funnily enough the one I wrote when I was intoxicated and in a "who cares" mood got me a response, and a facebook add, however she doesn't live anywhere near here so I'm safe haha, another advantage of the pub I guess.

Went out tonight to have a couple of drinks and watch a band, band was good, cute south American girl in the crowd was good too, that's where I fail badly...

Bit of background, I was homeschooled and raised by strict Christian parents so I led a very sheltered life, biggest downside to that was when most 15 (or 14, or 13yos) were in school "interacting" with people of the opposite sex and learning social skills, I was at home drawing, painting, breeding chickens, playing piano, riding bikes and in general not socializing, I remember making my first real friends just before I turned 16 (i had freinds before that but only from church and I didnt have any interests in common with them) so I hadn't realized what I was missing, then I started to realise how sheltered I had been, now iv moved sufficiently far away from home to do as I like I realized I have no idea how one is supposed to behave in a club ect, so I just sit out of the way and keep to myself, it's easiest, works fine until a girl sets her sights on me, then it's smiles n winks, which i notice but don't know how to respond to, then if she's persistent you get accidental bumping ect, again no idea what I should/shouldn't say/do, sometimes I'll move to a different spot to see if it was actualy accidental, in the case of the girl tonight she turned up 3 times. It wouldn't be a problem if you could talk but it's always so loud inside that you would have to yell just to say hi, let alone conduct a conversation, so I just sit there and smile

Does everyone just get pissed till they don't care who they go home with and take pot luck or something? As seemed the case with a fair few guys and a couple of the girls

taquar

Likes Dirt
Does everyone just get pissed till they don't care who they go home with and take pot luck or something? As seemed the case with a fair few guys and a couple of the girls
Yeah, alot of guys do this, but only cause they can't actually do any better, or can't be fucked to even try. Both parties being drunk probably doesn't hinder the chances...

Alot of chicks expect guys to make the first move as far as I know. From my experience though, you dont get the best ones by approaching them, just go with the flow. If shes bumping you on purpose, bump back. You'll catch on pretty quick. I wasnt looking for someone when I first met my girl, but about a month before we got together, I knew I liked her. Me being a chicken shit, didnt do anything, but we got together thankfully. Now 10.5 months in, and I can't think of being with anyone else.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Congratulations, and good luck!

On this topic, I'm also walking down the slow path to getting hitched in Germany in the middle of this year. I'm a bit nervous, but I am still 100% certain I am doing the right thing. I've never bounced around from girl to girl much anyway, so settling down in that respect does not bother me.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I just hung up on my girlfriend after she called me 'not a romantic person'

We've been going out for almost two years - in that time I've learnt a lot.. including - I would think - how to be 'romantic'.

Out of the two of us I think I put more effort? into the relationship.. not that it bugs me, i like to.

I don't really know what i'm asking, I guess: Was I reasonable in hanging up? Is she being reasonable in saying that? Obviously she wants me to be more romantic.. but the way she said it - completely out of the blue - wasn't exactly the nicest thing to say.. I tried to ask her what she meant, and i told her that I didn't like what she said. But she didn't really seem to care/grasp my point of view.

Gah, friday night and i'm complaining about my wonderful relationship on the internet.. what a life I lead.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I don't really know what i'm asking, I guess: Was I reasonable in hanging up? Is she being reasonable in saying that?
sometimes things can be taken out of context - i think it's reasonable to hang up rather than escalate a fight that may damage things unnecessarily.

personally, i'd send a text tonight saying something along the lines of "how about we have a good long chat about this tomorrow?" or you know, asap but make a time and stick to it.

most mainstream women have a very media-fuelled assumption as to what constitutes "romance".