Helmet cam ban on race runs-Awaba?

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all, I noticed at Awaba state champs race officials at the top were not letting riders down with helmet cams like the contour, or helmet mounted go pro. Chest mount go pros were ok apparently? I haven't heard of any official rules or anything, so what's to go on this?

Ps.I did a search but only found the thread about them getting possible banned in the states. If you find one post it and then mods can delete this.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
You are correct about them not allowed on race runs. There is one exception, the fastest qualifier of the elite men can run a helmet cam on his race run.

You have plenty of time to get footage of the track during your practice runs.

This rule is also enforced by the UCI and was enforced at the recent Oceania's.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
The regulations seem fairly straight forward. I imagine the issue will have something to do with the potential risk to a rider in a crash increasing with one of these attached.

I think the fastest qualifier rule only applies if the footage is to be used for TV production (or similar) also.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Wow, that is one of the shittest rules ever implemented. I heard last week that all downhill riders will soon be wearing cotton wool instead of body armor............

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Wow, that is one of the shittest rules ever implemented. I heard last week that all downhill riders will soon be wearing cotton wool instead of body armor............
I heard they want to ban cotton wool as well.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
I think the fastest qualifier rule only applies if the footage is to be used for TV production (or similar) also.
I believe you are correct.

Also, I was told that BMX are looking at making neck braces compulsory in the near future.

Not sure if DH will follow BMX in regards to neck braces, but it is something else for you to think about.

Safety of competitors and spectators is always being evaluated. You can say, " take a cup of cement and harden the f*^] up", but if you hit the cement/concrete enough times, it begins to crumble.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the point of allowing the fastest qualifier, if the rule has to be implemented there can't be any exceptions because it defeats the entire principle of the rule in the first place. I know thredbo wasn't run by Red Ass or NSWMTB but I saw plenty a rider racing with helmet cameras?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The following new regulation was introduced in January this year for UCI Events. I'm a little surprised to see it enforced at a State level race.
4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.

Last edited:

lordflog

Likes Dirt
If a race official were to allow the use of helmet cams, when they knew that this use was contrary to regulations, and a rider had an incident where the helmet cam was involved or perhaps exacerbated the result, I would imagine that this would leave MTBA & the official in an awkward spot.

There's plenty of runs people can use the cams on their helmets for, & for race runs use a chest or bike mount.

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The following new regulation was introduced in January this year. I'm a little surprised to see it enforced at a State level race.
4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.
"Velcro and tape" are allowed, the contours use velcro so does mean they are ok, or does the tape/velcro rule only apply to a helmet camera used by a tv production company.

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Yes, but if the regulation was in place as a safety concern, then why should they be allowed in practice runs or as an exemption when being used on behalf of the TV broadcaster?

T-Rex

Template denier
esky;2354804 this is being done so that they then can sell the footage! would be interesting to see what the riders sign! does it include exclusive rights to the wankers at MTBS? I bet it does![/QUOTE said:
There was no media at Awaba yesterday as far as I could see. I'm not aware of any media deal that Rocky Trail has done for the series.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was no media at Awaba yesterday as far as I could see. I'm not aware of any media deal that Rocky Trail has done for the series.
I saw a crew from NBN filming at the top tripple during race runs. They were also at the bottom before racing began. I think they also did a few interviews.

Rocky Trail seem to be on top of there game!!

jrewing

Eats Squid
This crap gets a person angry.

So who has ever crashed because of a helmet cam fitted. Maybe MTBA can work with the RTA and include deducting points off our road licence if we use one.

Beauracracy as its best.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
Actually, NBN TV showed up to get footage and I believe the newcastle herald newspaper called in to interview some winners.

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
I saw a crew from NBN filming at the top tripple during race runs. They were also at the bottom before racing began. I think they also did a few interviews.

Rocky Trail seem to be on top of there game!!
Mmmm. I stand corrected, thanks VTSS. In spite of being all over the track all day I managed to miss them.

Given the level of confusion this issue has generated, along with the issue of enforcing (or not) long sleeves/elbow guards, there is clearly some work to be done on communicating rule changes to riders.

I will make enquiries with the various authorities and report back prior to the next round, at Ourimbah on 15 May. Watch for a separate thread on the subject of regulations for the NSW State Series.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Right then. That means I cannot allow anyone to wear their camera for the race run at the Coffs Harbour state round..............except the dude who has done the fastest run!!!!!! Of all the people who are likley to be injured by a camera it is the guy who is the quickest because he closest to being on the edge!
How about I ban the media from entering the site?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The following new regulation was introduced in January this year. I'm a little surprised to see it enforced at a State level race.
Is that a UCI or MTBA ruling?

I know there is a "default to UCI" clause in the tec regs but surely this is way over the top and damaging to the sport.

I mean how good is it to check out all the Helmet cam footage to pops up after a race(often before the official results)

If it is a safety ruling then there can be no exceptions.

If it's just UCI trying to exert total control then they can kiss the curly black hairs on my lilly white arse.

and while we are ranting can someone tell me how a thin nilon sleeve is going to protect me in a crash

Last edited: