Graves 2011 Yeti 303 WC Team Issue

heavyp

You heard it here first
I was expecting change, obviously not.

Weight without pedals is 41 lbs 14 oz. I'm sure before the first WC round there will be some additional changes, ti spring etc.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I hope to see that bike put the rider on some world cup podiums this year.;)

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I prefer last years colour scheme. Still a nice bit of kit though.

I'm sure Graves will pin it this year regardless of the colour of his cycle.:)

heavyp

You heard it here first
Really who gives a shit about weight ? 40lb is sweet in my book always WAS always WILL be a lot of the top guys dont even know the weight of there bike they just ride it.

Back in the day the brooklyn machine works was meant to be amazing and it weighed 66lb and other put these massive moto seats on there bikes making them 50lb+ but then everything came back down to around 40-44lb.

The pro's can have these carbon ultra light bikes as if they break it
1: They get a nice new shiny one and
2: if they did break it none of us would ever hear about it!!!!!
But if this happened to us mean taking it back to the shop waiting waiting more waiting and maybe a new one if not just cheaper.

Put sam on a bike or anyone that weighs 35lb change some things make it 40lb and i bet him and you would be banging out the same times.

Its called a FAD just like that apple thing i like to call the iFad, swings and roundabouts people!

wintortree

Likes Dirt
sweet bike

thats a sweet bike. wish i had one.
i agree the frame must weigh a bit. it so blinged out with top end gear.

i give a S*#t about weight. pedaling a bike across a flat section which often happens in australia makes a huge difference in how much your bike weighs. also how the bike moves under you is effected by weight. im pretty shore the pro's know everything there is to know about the bike there on. including the weight. its there life.

to say that sam hill or anyone would do the same time on a heaver bike is crazy. were all trying to go as fast as we can and often a race will be won by less then a second. so if you can get that out of pedaling a lighter bike wouldn't you want to try to give yourself that extra edge. your talking about 2 1/2 kgs. that is massive.

try this out get yourself 2 1/2 kgs weights and carry the on your front and go ride. you will notice it strait away and prob hate it.

Carbon is the next step in the progression of bike building. they are making them stronger with the added advantage of being a lighter weight. you can also get directional strength with carbon allowing you to make areas that need more strength without over building a frame.

sweet looking bike the yeti is

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The pro's can have these carbon ultra light bikes as if they break it
1: They get a nice new shiny one and
2: if they did break it none of us would ever hear about it!!!!!
But if this happened to us mean taking it back to the shop waiting waiting more waiting and maybe a new one if not just cheaper.
And why would it be more susceptible to breaking if it where carbon exactly?

Bike look's the goods by the way!

heavyp

You heard it here first
And why would it be more susceptible to breaking if it where carbon exactly?

Bike look's the goods by the way!
My grammar is shocking i meant carbon and ultra light bikes like the mondraker so included ali in there sorry.

About the weight im not buying it never did never will (except if it is a tank like i was taliking about BMW style with a 66lb chromo beast), ive had 40lb bikes and broken bits and pieces and changed things as I can not afford to go and get bits straight away so will dig through the shed or even a tire change like a wire beaded michelin wildgrippers from over 10 years ago that weighs a ton and it feels no different.

Fair they have there bikes that dialed that they can notice the slightest change, but what i was getting at is 5 runs on a 35lb bike and 5 on there heavier say 40lb bike and over an average i bet theres nothing in it.

Maybe time for someone to try it on here or a mag using freelap ?

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
If this frame goes to market, I'll buy one! There...I said it.

RCDH & Kore23, I'm heading to the darkside!:cool:

RCDH

Likes Bikes
I will agree with the whole light bike thing. Pedalling a bike over a long flat section is unquestionably easier on a lighter bike. This bike is on the heavier side, but I don't think that's everything, nor the vital element of a race winning bike. Anyone who has ridden one of these will know what I'm talking about when I say they are fast and just plow. Anyone who hasn't ridden one, is simply missing out. Words cannot describe it, you just have to ride one.

Back on topic, this bike is just hot. Glad they brought back the team '07 colour scheme, that was always my favourite. As for this bike in production, Sorry 24, I believe they made 10 main frames and 12 swing arms for the team this year. Nothing yet on production, if there is going to be one.

Bring on '12 when Graves is back on the DH bike full time. It'll be good to see him pin again like he was back in '05.

BKelly

teh fast
My grammar is shocking i meant carbon and ultra light bikes like the mondraker so included ali in there sorry.

About the weight im not buying it never did never will (except if it is a tank like i was taliking about BMW style with a 66lb chromo beast), ive had 40lb bikes and broken bits and pieces and changed things as I can not afford to go and get bits straight away so will dig through the shed or even a tire change like a wire beaded michelin wildgrippers from over 10 years ago that weighs a ton and it feels no different.

Fair they have there bikes that dialed that they can notice the slightest change, but what i was getting at is 5 runs on a 35lb bike and 5 on there heavier say 40lb bike and over an average i bet theres nothing in it.

Yeah your right, weight doesn't make any difference at all. Ever wondered why XC riders don't race XC on DH bikes or why roadies have gone from steel to alloy to carbon? Harder to pedal and excellerate mainly due to the extra weight of wheels/tyres/frame/suspension ect maybe? :rolleyes:

The bike looks awesome by the way, really liking the colour!

Last edited:

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Yeah your right, weight doesn't make any difference at all. Ever wondered why XC riders don't race XC on DH bikes or why roadies have gone from steel to alloy to carbon? Harder to pedal and excellerate mainly due to the extra weight of wheels/tyres/frame/suspension ect maybe? :rolleyes:

The bike looks awesome by the way, really liking the colour!
Ever noticed how those guys... like.... pedal up hills and stuff?

BKelly

teh fast
Ever noticed how those guys... like.... pedal up hills and stuff?
Ever noticed how many if not most DH tracks in Aus especially, have a lot of flat sections and even some uphills? Same thing, turning pedals turns back wheel. The heavier the wheel/tyre/bike the harder it is to excellerate and seeing in DH especially you slow down for many corners and excellerate out of them, this is where time and effort/energy is lost or saved. A lighter bike will also be able to slow down faster which will also save you time allowing you to brake later and so on.

Hey, I'm happy for you guys to run heavier bikes if you think it makes no difference.

You should maybe also tell all the top riders in the world in whatever discipline and all the bike and component manufacturers that they are all going the wrong way by making stuff lighter all the time!

Last edited:

BKelly

teh fast

So your saying that if a bike is much heavier it does make a difference but only a little heavier makes no difference? How does that work?