Bike fit in Sydney?

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a second hand Ti road bike as an upgrade from my Giant TCR. My research has led me to believe that the frame is roughly the correct size for my 6'3 build (61cm C-T) however I'm still struggling to get the bike setup.

If my arms are "locked" straight when hands are on the bars, does that indicate that the reach is too long?

I've been riding for quite a while, just on poorly fitted bikes.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Sydney that could help me out with bike fitting, without me actually purchasing a bike from that shop? I don't ride competetively so I'm not looking to invest a huge amount of money, I just want some good advice.

Harry.

Last edited:
Harry, try velofix in rozelle, they have two options for setup, both using the body geometry system developed by specialized, one option includes getting checked out by a chiro who reports on your body type, aiding setup.. there number is 9555 4666

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
If my arms are "locked" straight when hands are on the bars, does that indicate that the reach is too long?
Yep. Your arms should have a slight bend when your hands are on the bars, and you shouldn't have all your upper body weight on your hands. They're for steering only, using your elbows in the same way you use them for added suspension on a mountain bike. You should basically be able to take your hands off the bars when you're in your regular riding position and not fall forward.

For a $100 fit go to Bike Addiction in North Manly and speak to Sean. The number there is 9938 3511. For a more complex and comprehensive (and more expensive) fit, speak to Blair at The Body Mechanic in Neutral Bay. He featured recently in AMB magazine and definitely knows what he's on about.

røhvul

Likes Dirt
Steve Hogg at Pedal Pushers.
Some may not subscribe to his methodologies, but the results speak for themselves.

0psi

Eats Squid
Steve Hogg at Pedal Pushers.
Some may not subscribe to his methodologies, but the results speak for themselves.
+1. Most comprehesive fit I've come across. A couple of big names have been fitted by him. Not cheap though.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't recommend the body mechanic enough. id been having all sorts of problems with my back. After getting my fit done for my roadie and mtb my back was instantly better.