The Gran Turismo 5/ Racing simulator Thread.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mazda Furai - Get some Super Duper Racing Softs, And add some aero-down force, and maybe have a fiddle with the diff' setting if you know what your doing. You the win the Furai from Mazda roadster cup in B-Spec - I believe it's a level 6 race, so if you havent done B-spec it shouldnt take too long to get.

I did, and it was a 5x improvement of that waste-of-money Z1, Won both races first time, 10secs to spare

EDIT: I have reason to think it may have also been able to have a stage 4 turbo fitted to it - That would help signifiantly..

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure I used the method above to win it too. Furai FTW. You win it in B spec / Amateur / NR-A Roadster Cup

Ironically , when you win A spec Like The Wind , you'll get the Minolta 88C-V '89 which when tuned to max is a 1000hp weapon and great for grinding all the big $$$ / xp stuff.

PSN has been down for 24hrs now , I've realised how much I rely on online racing to amuse me. As a result I did heaps of A spec last night....boring as batshit !

Toff

Likes Dirt
Anyone been doing any drifting? Be interested to see some top scores.

If not, here's a running challenge: Tsukuba in sector mode, any car on any tyres.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any tips for winning the Indy superspeedway race in the like the wind series? I'm currently using the Corvette ZR1, race modded and tuned to the shitehouse but just can't seem to get anywhere.
I used the Ford GT LM i won in the last race in that class thing, formula all stars or something, which i won with a GTR. still needed to upgrade and fiddle with the gt's settings mainly gear ratios to get a good enough top speed.

Is anyone else having fun losing their mind trying to finish the sebastian vettel redbull x2010 thing? Ive got silver on monza but even thats taken its toll on my mental capabilities haha

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is anyone else having fun losing their mind trying to finish the sebastian vettel redbull x2010 thing? Ive got silver on monza but even thats taken its toll on my mental capabilities haha
Trying to score a lousy bronze there is beyond me ! I had another crack at it yesterday , still 12 seconds off. I'm resigned to the fact that I will never complete the game because of the Vettel challenge.

Finall got the XR8 Falcon the other day , only took like 1200 game days for it to appear in the UCD.

I'm missing online racing big time , come back PSN !

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Anyone been doing any drifting? Be interested to see some top scores.

If not, here's a running challenge: Tsukuba in sector mode, any car on any tyres.
Full lap mode I think best was aroudn the high 17,000 mark, with that special D1 S2000 car. I'm away from home so I can't try sector mode for a little bit.

I don't like scoring drifts that much, the top scores are always like 30,000 with a TVR Speed 12. More fun to go and do bumper to bumper tandems online.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is ALOT of article out there, that's the first I've seen rumouring of information being leaked, but I would hold it true till Sony says it. PSN has been down since Friday or so.. Some bastard has made sure it coincided with Easter holidays + Spring break in the US and the release of Portal 2/Socom 4 and a few other games..

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully to get more views... From the PS3 thread...

I just stumbled on this thread tonight. I havent tested the theory yet , but if that discussion so far is any indication , there's no wonder some of us have been having trouble getting rid of the understeer issue.

It's a massive cock up on PDs part and something that needs to be addressed in the next patch surely !
Interesting...I'll have to test it out. Pretty big stuff up though! Seems unlikely they would miss that.

EDIT: What. The. Fuck. ('scuse the french)

As far as I know, correct me if i'm wrong,
  • Low front w/ high rear will Oversteer.
  • High front w/ Low rear will Understeer.
and for springs,
  • Hard front w/ soft rear will Understeer
  • Soft front w/ hard rear will Oversteer.

Correct?

Well with an RX7 (FR), 500BHP Sports softs, The opposite of the above is true. No doubt. To double check, a Higher front then the rear with harder springs in the front oversteers ALOT. It's hard to control and is definitely over-steering. Swap the settings around and it understeers.

Seems the replays will look stupid because the settings affect the visuals as they should but physics are swapped. I haven't test on other cars and I've only touched springs and ride height.

I've got some tuning to do....

GT-R Spec V '09. Always had an understeer problem I couldn't fix. Just fixed it with a higher and softer rear. Dropped a full second of my test track! And I suck at the moment... 51.315s Tsukuba.

Shits backwards people!!!
Discuss. Are the ride heights and spring rates back to front?

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good move Steve , I only posted in the other thread because Dozer and Welshy had touched on the subject there.

I've tested this on a few cars now and so far its seems to be right , shit is backwards on the left column of the suspension tuning chart ! Strangely enough , I went to change the settings on my fave green 07 GTR today and the rear is already set 5mm lower than the front. Seems in my frustration to get this thing to turn , I'd stumbled on the "right" settings for ride height a while back and hadn't twigged. All I knew was it improved it and that was that. I'll swap the spring rates around and should be able to take some toe out off it now.

What a balls up.

In other news , wheel users..... any recommendations ? I need to make the jump from the DS3 and build a cockpit. G25s aren't being made any more , G27s aren't fully supported by GT5 (button mapping) and the Thrustmaster T500 RS seems to be the ducks guts. At $700 it would want to be !

Who's using what and are you happy with it ?

Cheers

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Unless you're a real pedant with you're button mapping the G27 works fine, for drift it's a little annoying where the handbrake button is though.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just out of interest what times are you guys getting around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in road cars in practice mode? i.e. lap is not counted if you cut corners etc.

I managed to do a 6.31 last night in the Audi R8 V10 (modified), using a controller

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just out of interest what times are you guys getting around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in road cars in practice mode? i.e. lap is not counted if you cut corners etc.

I managed to do a 6.31 last night in the Audi R8 V10 (modified), using a controller
That sounds like the rough area, I think I do around 6:40 in my GT-R but I'll have a play tonight and see. I think it's time for another time trial comp? Pretty keen

I completed the Laguna Seca 200miles. Went pretty quick, If i was in a faster car I could do it in 2hrs which is half of the previous endurance race lol. The next one looks mad, Indy 500, next couple dont... 9hr/12hr/24hr !

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sounds like the rough area, I think I do around 6:40 in my GT-R but I'll have a play tonight and see. I think it's time for another time trial comp? Pretty keen

I completed the Laguna Seca 200miles. Went pretty quick, If i was in a faster car I could do it in 2hrs which is half of the previous endurance race lol. The next one looks mad, Indy 500, next couple dont... 9hr/12hr/24hr !
I think I did 6:41 in a R35 GTR I have and 6:39 in the Lamborghini Murcielago. I was on an absolute flyer in the Lambo but managed to bin it after the straight and the lap got disqualified...probably would've been low 6:30's! 4wd certainly helps on that track!

I haven't been bothered to tackle the endurance races yet! :p

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
BMW M3 CSL is the most enjoyable to drive on the Nordschleife I've found, lightly tuned so as to not lose the 'personality' of the car and make it feel like every other FR sports car.

We should have a punt at the Nordschleife online, ie all together in one group just setting some hot laps in different cars.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had fun doing a few modest laps on the 'ring with a fully done-out 91' SIR-II Civic. Times aren't too far off some of the others that have been posted...Infact I'm going to post back in 30 minutes.. :cool:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I did 6:41 in a R35 GTR I have and 6:39 in the Lamborghini Murcielago. I was on an absolute flyer in the Lambo but managed to bin it after the straight and the lap got disqualified...probably would've been low 6:30's! 4wd certainly helps on that track!

I haven't been bothered to tackle the endurance races yet! :p
Just put in a few laps, I got a best of 6:45.189 in my GT-R at 650PP. First up my suspension was so hard I just bounced off the track, and then I dropped 5s when I rebuild the chassis and engine lol.

Could be better with more suspension tuning and drive time. 6:41 is hella fast!

BMW M3 CSL is the most enjoyable to drive on the Nordschleife I've found, lightly tuned so as to not lose the 'personality' of the car and make it feel like every other FR sports car.

We should have a punt at the Nordschleife online, ie all together in one group just setting some hot laps in different cars.
I would be so keen for that! I'm free Friday night to play.

That track is so damn fun, Hitting ripple strips just the right way is difficult, staying off the grass with those thousand odd bumps and fast tight track is awesome.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That is insane !

The Laguna race was tough for me , I just can't get comfortable on that track , dunno what it is... ?

I love the M3 CSL ( and GTR for that matter) for the exact reasons you stated. When PSN comes back up we should have a Rotorburn track night , I'll be there for sure.

Re: the Nordschleife challenge... I just did a 6:43.734 in an SLS Merc 595pp. The last bit was conservative because I was on such a good lap , I didn't want to blow it. I doubt I could cut 10 seconds off it though. I'll have another go with a 458 Italia and the R8.