Moving to/living in Tasmania

NZSNOWDOG

Likes Dirt
We are looking at the possibility of relocating to Tasmania(no idea on where specifically),just wanting an idea on the ups and downs/ins and outs.
Whats the cost of living like,car/motorbike rego,etc.
Places to live/not to.
Good mtb spots(general riding/dh).
Weather generally.
My Wife also wants to know about the creepy crawlys,are they as bad as Queensalnd(huntsman).
Any advice would be appreciated.

floody

Wheel size expert
Whats the cost of living like,car/motorbike rego,etc.
Car rego is $565.55 for an average 6 cylinder sedan, a little less for four cylinders, a little more for V8 and up. This is inclusive of Motor Accident Insurance Board cover, motor tax etc. About lineball with mainland costs (sits halfway between victorian rural and metro costs for example).

Places to live/not to.
Most of the main population centres - Hobart, Launceston, Devonport, to an extent Burnie - are pretty good to live in and well serviced. Burnie and the East/West Coast centres will probably entail somewhat limited options for entertainment, shopping and of course involve greater travel times to the more major centres (think of them like remote rural population centres).

All have their bad suburbs and good ones, different pros and cons so need more specifics to get right into that.

Good mtb spots(general riding/dh).
Again all the main population centres coincidentally have great riding. Meehan Range park, Wellington bikepark, Howrah trails, Mt Nelson, Mt Wellington proper and Mt Wellington foothills trails are all immediately proximate to Hobart.
Launceston has Kate Reed reserve, Trevallyn reserve, and I'm sure plenty else.
Closer to Devonport you've got Paloona, Dismal Swamp and some other more informal trail centres.

Weather generally.
Generally, mild. Referencing the mainland, it gets neither as hot or as cold as Victoria, doesn't experience the humidity of the Northern states or any real extremes of weather.
Probably quite comparable to South Island NZ, though a shade warmer and drier.

My Wife also wants to know about the creepy crawlys,are they as bad as Queensalnd(huntsman).
Generally speaking, no, but the huntsman is certainly a ubiquitous creature. Jack Jumper ants are a pest and some people have serious allergies to them, otherwise, there aren't too many problems with insects and spiders.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
More Bogans in NSW and QLD than Tas any day of the week.
Clearly, you have not lived in Tasmania.
This is true. I reckon the Gold Coast is bogan town, but thats only cos I have grown up here and never really fit into the whole trashy clubbing, drinking and general wankery scene that it is well known for.

Tassie on the other hand (I refer to Launceston, where my bro lives) is a far more modest place in almost all aspects, affordability, people etc etc. However, the nature there is nothing short of superb!

Felixe

Likes Bikes
More Bogans in NSW and QLD than Tas any day of the week.
Clearly, you have not lived in Tasmania.
This ties in nicely with the "where not to live".

Any of the Northern Hobart Suburbs from Glenorchy onwards (Western shore) and Gielston Bay (Eastern shore). Also in Hobart - Rokeby, Clarendon vale, Cambridge, Sorell and Lewisham (yes I know, getting a bit far out). These are bogan hotspots!!

Launceston - Avoid Ravenswood and surrounding suburbs.

Devonport - Avoid all of it. I took my wife on her first trip to Tassie and she got to see the Christmas spectacle in D'port of one bogan smashing in rear window of another bogans car - WITH A FROZEN CHICKEN IN A SHOPPING BAG.

Yes I have lived in Tassie, and it has a shitload of bogans -many who relocate to the Gold Coast!!!

Oh yeah and creepie crawlies - heaps of them. Deadly snakes, spiders of many colours, angry ants and BLOW FLIES the size of light aircraft in summer, swarms and swarms of BLOWFLIES!!

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
This ties in nicely with the "where not to live".

Any of the Northern Hobart Suburbs from Glenorchy onwards (Western shore) and Gielston Bay (Eastern shore). Also in Hobart - Rokeby, Clarendon vale, Cambridge, Sorell and Lewisham (yes I know, getting a bit far out). These are bogan hotspots!!

Launceston - Avoid Ravenswood and surrounding suburbs.

Devonport - Avoid all of it. I took my wife on her first trip to Tassie and she got to see the Christmas spectacle in D'port of one bogan smashing in rear window of another bogans car - WITH A FROZEN CHICKEN IN A SHOPPING BAG.

Yes I have lived in Tassie, and it has a shitload of bogans -many who relocate to the Gold Coast!!!

Oh yeah and creepie crawlies - heaps of them. Deadly snakes, spiders of many colours, angry ants and BLOW FLIES the size of light aircraft in summer, swarms and swarms of BLOWFLIES!!
Ah yes, I forgot about (cough) Rokeby, and Clarendon Vale. At least Glenorchy has a bike park!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
If you end up in Hobart, and in need of a job PM me and I may be able to help.
It's factory work, with bogans, but it's easy work, no weekends and you finish a 3pm everyday so leaves plenty of time for riding. Lemme know if needed.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
If you end up in Hobart, and in need of a job PM me and I may be able to help.
It's factory work, with bogans, but it's easy work, no weekends and you finish a 3pm everyday so leaves plenty of time for riding. Lemme know if needed.
I had no idea you worked here:

And looked as cool as this:

pyorkie

Cannon Fodder
Moving to Tassie

What is Smithton or Scottsdale like ... thinking of buying ........ where in these areas will I need a flak jacket? Sorry Just want to know where in these two areas nice.

Last edited:

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
basically west or south of hobart CBD as far as taroona, or north about as far as lenah valley. other than that you're looking at bogan shithole after bogan shithole (for the most part. and with degrees of shitness. there are obviously exceptions).

there are a few pocket exceptions, but as soon as you leave those suburbs/areas you're right back in bogan/shithole territory. with the exception of tranmere (which is an absolute shit of a place geographically, but great riding) avoid the ENTIRE eastern shore. even lindisfarne is heading downhill. lauderdale is a lovely spot (as is 7 mile beach) but they're absolute shits of places geographically, with no riding and horrible roads (both road networks and the roads themselves). if you can deal with that, be prepared to deal with absolute pure & utter tradie central. i think 90% of lauderdales male population must be tradies. roches beach & acton, which are in between the two and even more of a bitch of a spot geographically are fantastic and you won't be bothered by any scum at all. but it does mean a massive trip to work each day pretty much no matter where you work.

the thing with tassie is that unlike the scum in say, sydney, that just stick to their own areas because they know they're not wanted, the scum here will openly and blatantly hang out any & just about everywhere they're not wanted.

you can't actually go to even a small business complex without some being there, with the exception of the nutgrove beach area.

other than the filth, it's actually a nice place. tasmania would be a fantastic place to live if it wasn't full of tasmanians.

on the topic of stuff to do and the culture: think gold coast, without the surfers, but with melbournes footy fanaticism, but with no games. there is just NOTHING to do of a weekend here, and the result is that people do nothing but get hammered. constantly. every weekend. either that or all the filth here don't want to do anything else and that's why there isn't.

when it's footy season, everyone goes to the pub, sinks beers & watches footy. when it's not, they go out to the clubs and get absolutely blind drunk and just sit around doing nothing. the nightclubs/bars also reflect this bogan culture as with the exception of a couple that actually have dancefloors etc most of them have clearly been designed with the intention/knowledge that people are just going to sit around & drink. not do anything, just talk & drink.

the level of degenerate alcoholism here has to be seen to be believed. it's not like it's homeless people just sitting around getting smashed 24/7, all of them have jobs etc. they just don't know or perhaps care what else to do with themselves. the thoughts for the weekend are "get smashed first and then if we can find something else to do whilst smashed then that's great". otherwise it's just sit around & do nothing.. hammered.

there's more than a few old friends from school i run into on occasion (one even i'd known since i was 6 in primary school) who completely agree whenever the alcohol conversation is brought up. i had a chat to several the other day i hadn't seen in years and the general consensus at uni is to just finish uni & get out of this place. few grads have the intention of staying here.

the uni students, (students are apparently notorious for their alcoholism) aren't nearly as alcoholic as the rest of the population. it's not that they don't like a drink, it's just that they'll go get off their faces only perhaps once or twice a semester rather than every freaking weekend. and those couple of times a semester are only when some kind of even is on such as a society barrel or whatever. not just because it's friday night &/or the footy was on.

friday nights are bogan night on the town. it's clear bogans just can't wait to get smashed & spend the whole week working/waiting to do it.

NB: this is all speaking for those aged about 20-26/27. i don't really assosciate with anyone outside that age bracket. the younger ones are all my little brothers age and i can assure you that people just aren't improving in their cluelessness every year. the kids are getting ruder & ruder and more & more clueless.

Last edited:

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
The sad thing is that these days that's the norm... 20-27 year olds on the bender... every weekend... practically everywhere (in Aus).

This question should probably be reserved for a new thread, but (in general) do Aussie blokes within that age bracket actually have any hobbies outside of watching the footy, sinking piss and fb? (oh and gym - occasionally)

Now obviously everyone on RB does, having cycling as their hobby, but so many of my old mates have the above 3 things as their hobbies, but are they really genuine hobbies?

Anyway, as 77 mentioned, Tassie is a great place... but its a shame of what is becoming of its youth!

b0ing

Likes Dirt
That, is amazing!

seventyseven

The sad thing is that these days that's the norm... 20-27 year olds on the bender... every weekend... practically everywhere (in Aus).

This question should probably be reserved for a new thread, but (in general) do Aussie blokes within that age bracket actually have any hobbies outside of watching the footy, sinking piss and fb? (oh and gym - occasionally)

Now obviously everyone on RB does, having cycling as their hobby, but so many of my old mates have the above 3 things as their hobbies, but are they really genuine hobbies?

Anyway, as 77 mentioned, Tassie is a great place... but its a shame of what is becoming of its youth!
i don't think they ever had much hope.

i used to work pubs in bar work. the pubs are simply where all the old folk do the exact same thing (mindlessly drink, talk & watch the footy. otherwise just mindlessly drink & talk).

on the topic of older vs younger well, the younger ones just haven't had the opportunity as much. and they've got things like cars to keep them entertained.

all those things that you get to do/have as an adult are awesome at first & then the novelty wears off in a couple years. once that happens & people become bored of them (i'd say around age 20-21 or so) that's when the real alcoholism starts.

combine that with the fact that most are much further into their apprenticeships/qualified, or just earning consistent coin through other means, it means that there isn't even the monetary barrier to the boozing anymore.

can't half tell i'm getting out of this place soon enough can you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmyhAF0f9w

video of what happened after "tassie nats". the annual drag event held at the only dragway.

Last edited:

seventyseven

just reading the mercury this morning.

apparently the average tasmanians wage is $37,000. edit: 2008 wage, backed up by the ABS. no shit.

that explains a lot.

Last edited: