Sunshine Series 2011 - Downhill

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
Can someone please explain this further? I have just gone to enter the event (haven't race downhill in maybe 4 or 5 years) to give it a shot and get back into DH racing and it seems like you can't enter and buy a day licence anymore? Is this true?

I sure as hell hope not :(
yer sorry mate, you cant get day licences for racing anymore, you have to be a full mtba member with a club(not the free mtba membership). just the new rules this yer i dont know why they changed them

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
yer sorry mate, you cant get day licences for racing anymore, you have to be a full mtba member with a club(not the free mtba membership). just the new rules this yer i dont know why they changed them
Cheers for the info. Bloody ridiculous. I understand the need to support clubs totally and am all for this, but I only want to race casually (ie. 1 or 2 a year), and just can't justify full membership for that.

I'm really disappointed that this means I won't be able to race on the weekend. Am surely not alone there either...

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
i have mixed feeling for both sides of the story, cause as someone who is doing a full season i benifit from it and it saves me money, but i would also like to see this sport grow and by not having the day licence it takes out the posibility of people wanting to see what racing is like and the feel of it. but i have to say i hope they do both next season cause it means both partys will be happy

RAC_DH

Likes Dirt
well hopefully the new track has alot better drainage then the last one at the bottom, but either way racing will be sick! so keen
the bottom section that used to get flooded = GONE!!!

the track is probably 1% original, 4% upgrade what was there, 95% New = 100% Awesome

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whats up with sat practice at beerburrum?or is it only sun morn?
There is no official practise on saturday, meaning anyone who wants to rock up and ride the track as if it was a normal day can if they want too. Own shuttles and no marshalls or anything, just like a normal day. Track gets closed at 4pm though for last minute work (think it would be just taping the edge of the track but could be other stuff too).

haydo

Likes Dirt
Thanks to whom ever stopped day licenses in QLD. I'm here from NSWs, and can't justify over $100 for one race. Lame.
Its the same licence in NSW as it is in QLD. In fact, NSW implemented this rule a number of years ago for their State Series.

To clarify, the reason it was done is that Day Licences only cover you for injury you may cause to other riders or spectators. A full MTBA Licence covers you for that, plus, non-medicare medical expenses, $500/week income protection, travel expenses for your loved ones to visit you from NSW, when you're in hospital in QLD, etc. etc.
If you can afford to race and pay for all those medical expenses when (not if) you come off, then Im sure you can afford the $110 membership fee.
It might seem lame, until you're lame and out of cash.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Anyone got headcam footage of the new Beerburrum?

Haven't had a chance to see it before tomorrow.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's it like?

Big jumps/Gnarly sections?

Smoother or more technical?
It's got a few little jumps and the big one up top which has been made very friendly. It's got a rock garden of similar size to the Ipswich one and there's a few areas with square edged rocks. It's tame.. but very flowy and a fun ride.

Also you better be ready to pedal your arse off. It's not totally flat, but theres time to be made pedaling. It's smoother with more burms then the original.

Very busy there today, again, top effort to the track builders! They've virtually built a whole new track with bobcats and diggers. Thanks guys!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Fun track. Nice and flowy. Keep off the brakes and you can keep speed without tO much pedaling. Spewing theres nO day licenses so I can race tOmorrow but I can appreciate it's for the greater good. Thanks to the trail builder and to everyone I bummed a shuttle off. (I'm the Zerode rider, you know who you are).

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
ive got some helmet cams footage but it would take a while to upload and by then i would have been asleep

have to say a big congrats to the builders, they have done an AMAZING job on the track and its sick. keen for racing tomoz :)