After ten years, Stay or Leave?

• Do we stay?

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Do we leave?

Votes: 32 51.6%

• Total voters

0psi

Eats Squid
IMO we should stay. Ideally we wouldn't have gone in the first place, we really have no business being there, but if we pull out now everything we've done and all the lives that have been lost would be in vain.

Bermshot

Banned
A good point raised in why aren't we more informed of the successes? I presume the info is out there but one has to actively search for it. I guess its the old adage, ratings aren't won by good news.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
What exactly is our mission? I must be living under a rock or something because I have never really had that question answered. Also, what is defined as "completing this mission"? It all seems rather open ended, which appear to be giving a nice "reason" to stay "to get the job done" (whatever that job even is!)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Also, what is defined as "completing this mission"? It all seems rather open ended, which appear to be giving a nice "reason" to stay "to get the job done" (whatever that job even is!)
Completing the mission would be to unearth and detain every person who intends or has at least support sthese crazy terrorist groups. That will never be completed, hence the fact the troops must stay and try to control it as best as possible.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I read a really interesting perspective on this a couple of years back. The idea was that if we pull out now, the current extremist movement will take control again and we will be right back where we started. To prevent this, we can only really pull out when that movement is gone. Which prevents pulling out in the next 10 or probably even 20 years. Instead, expose a generation of young people and specifically women to education, equal rights and honest government and suddenly the west doesn't look so decadent and impure. Likewise, the weaknesses in the fundamental deliberately twisted interpretation of the Qur'an start to become apparent and extremism starts to die out. At that point Armed forces can pull out without the nation reverting back to where it was before the US army landed.

At huge expense, the way I see it is we are stuck for a generation at least. Because until the mindset is changed, we haven't achieved anything. I don't think we should have been there in the first place, but now we are this far in we need to stick it out.
that was really well said and i agree 100%.

may all those young soldiers who paid for this war with their lives rest in peace.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive spoken to a few blokes that went to Vietnam and almost to a man they were disgruntled and pissed off. They would express things like "we were there for nothing".
If they leave Afghanistan now then yes they will share the sentiment with the vietnam vets hence why they want progress so they can say "look the afghanis have a better life thanks to us". 10 billion dollars a month is a lot of money to spend to not win.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Afghanistan has been a lost cause for every nation that has sent troops there. From the height of the British Empire to the modern day. I think it's time to leave the place alone and just hope that it's own people will eventually find peace.

We left Vietnam to sort itself out and it's now a popular holiday destination for people the world over. Here's hoping that eventually Afghanistan will find it's own way.

As for the security issues and it's status as a breeding ground for terrorism and drug manufacturing, we'll just have to take that in our stride. Islamic extremism is a sad fact of life these days and it thrives not only in Afghanistan but also in places as widespread as North Africa, the Arabian peninsula and Indonesia. We can't win by military means. Lets just hope that the subversive forces of globalisation and commerce can do a better job. It's worked elsewhere in the world...

scuba05

Likes Dirt
A good point raised in why aren't we more informed of the successes? I presume the info is out there but one has to actively search for it. I guess its the old adage, ratings aren't won by good news.
A very, VERY good point. All we hear about from Afghanistan on the news is when another soldier gets killed, or other such bad news. We never hear any of the good news, like a town bazaar getting back up & running due to it being a safer town, or a family successfully running a business, or new construction projects being undertaken, or farmers converting from poppies over to something different (poppies & subsequent opium is basically what keeps the Taliban afloat). All we ever hear is this soldier has been killed in a roadside bomb/ ambush/ gunfight/ aircraft crash.

This brings the point of, how can we ever see something in a positive light if all we hear is negatives? We can thank our 'tell-all' media for this, who think it is more important about which brand of peanut butter is best for peanuts (read absolutely contradictory story), or how old love the retiree got overcharged $5 on her power bill. Yes, im looking straight at you Today Tonight and A Current Affair. The chaser had every right to rip strips off you on a weekly basis. You are about as useful as a magazine full of blanks at an execution.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What right have we got to be there?
Some of their people have different ideas than us? Their right.

Terror, come on, the US government are the worst violence mongers this century has seen.

Lets leave them to sort their own way of life as they choose.

I read all these bla bla replies here,
"if we leave now lives would have been lost in vain"
They WERE lost in vain!

We have to see "it" through.
What is "it"????

Completing the mission would be to unearth and detain every person who intends or has at least support sthese crazy terrorist groups. That will never be completed, hence the fact the troops must stay and try to control it as best as possible. "
It again, but wtf is IT????

Originally Posted by wespelarno

I read a really interesting perspective on this a couple of years back. The idea was that if we pull out now, the current extremist movement will take control again and we will be right back where we started.
Are you talking about American extremists, who kill world leaders, start unprovoked wars and more?
I used to know an ex Vice Admiral of the Aussie navy who told me the whole thing was only about oil. But what would he know?????

Last edited:

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some of their people have different ideas than us? Their right.

Terror, come on, the US government are the worst violence mongers this century has seen.

I read all these bla bla replies here,
They WERE lost in vain!

What is "it"????

I used to know an ex Vice Admiral of the Aussie navy who told me the whole thing was only about oil. But what would he know?????
I love these types of arguments, how does oil have anything to do with afghanistan?

Bermshot

Banned
I quickly found this, a bit of an insight anyway.

The invasion of Afghanistan is certainly a campaign against terrorism," wrote author George Monbiot in the Oct. 22, 2001, piece, "but it may also be a late colonial adventure."

He wrote that the U.S. oil company Unocal Corp. had been negotiating with the Taliban since 1995 to build "oil and gas pipelines from Turkmenistan, through Afghanistan and into Pakistani ports on the Arabian sea." He cited Ahmed Rashid's authoritative book "Taliban, Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia" as a source for this information.

Rashid, who has reported on Afghan wars for more than 20 years as a correspondent for the Eastern Economic Review and the Daily Telegraph, carefully documents in his book how the U.S. and Pakistan helped install the Taliban in hopes of bringing stability to the war- ravaged region and making it safer for the pipeline project. Unocal pulled out of the deal after the 1998 terrorist attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were linked to terrorists based in Afghanistan.

"The war against terrorism is a fraud," exclaimed John Pilger in an Oct. 29 commentary in the British-based Mirror. Pilger, the publication's former chief foreign correspondent, wrote, "Bush's concealed agenda is to exploit the oil and gas reserves in the Caspian basin, the greatest source of untapped fossil fuel on earth."

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I quickly found this, a bit of an insight anyway.

The invasion of Afghanistan is certainly a campaign against terrorism," wrote author George Monbiot in the Oct. 22, 2001, piece, "but it may also be a late colonial adventure."

He wrote that the U.S. oil company Unocal Corp. had been negotiating with the Taliban since 1995 to build "oil and gas pipelines from Turkmenistan, through Afghanistan and into Pakistani ports on the Arabian sea." He cited Ahmed Rashid's authoritative book "Taliban, Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia" as a source for this information.

Rashid, who has reported on Afghan wars for more than 20 years as a correspondent for the Eastern Economic Review and the Daily Telegraph, carefully documents in his book how the U.S. and Pakistan helped install the Taliban in hopes of bringing stability to the war- ravaged region and making it safer for the pipeline project. Unocal pulled out of the deal after the 1998 terrorist attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were linked to terrorists based in Afghanistan.

"The war against terrorism is a fraud," exclaimed John Pilger in an Oct. 29 commentary in the British-based Mirror. Pilger, the publication's former chief foreign correspondent, wrote, "Bush's concealed agenda is to exploit the oil and gas reserves in the Caspian basin, the greatest source of untapped fossil fuel on earth."
Would the amount of money spent justify the pipeline if it is built?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Some of their people have different ideas than us? Their right
True, assuming a fair and just leadership. But under the Taliban regime nobody had any right to their own idea. Speaking out was a fast way to have you and your family shot. Just because nobody complained didn't mean everybody was enjoying their rights-it just meant nobody was able to complain.

You assume people are in a position to sort it out. A large portion of the middle east has just undergone rebellion and overthrown dictators after a generation of suffering, deprivation and corruption. It took a generation because again, people speak out and the same people just vanish.

American foreign policy is terrible and has been for a long time, but I look at Afghanistan now and how it was, and to me it now looks to be a better place, or at least less bad. The USA doesn't intentionally kill their own with bombs strapped to civilians. They don't deliberately attack hospitals and market bazaars, indiscriminately killing. Basically, that comparison is long worn out.

They WERE lost in vain!
The lives are only lost in vein if nothing is achieved. If progress has been made in the country, and that progress is long term, the lives lost have been lost with benefit to someone-infact an entire population. If we pull out of Afghanistan now, Afghanistan will descend into the chaos it was before we arrived, making the loss of life futile as nothing has been achieved. That comment is borderline insulting to the soldiers who are now died doing their job.

What is "it"????
It has been used in a few contexts, generally if you read the sentence IT makes sense.

Are you talking about American extremists, who kill world leaders, start unprovoked wars and more?
Taken way out of context there. I'm talking about a group of people who interpret the Qur'an exactly as they please, call it a true "fundamental" interpretation and use it to subjugate an entire country by denying them what most the first world calls human rights.

Like I said before, I don't think we should have gone to Afghanistan in the first place, but now that we are there, we need to stay and fix the country properly so that when we leave, afghanistan won't revert to Taliban/dictator contorl

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
[video=youtube;Kc8w0IX4UQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc8w0IX4UQc[/video]

I can't see them handing over the reigns to the Afganistan army any time soon if these guys are representitive of the average joe.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did anyone know that opium horticulture in Afghanistan was at an all-time low under Taliban rule, and now is currently the #1 producer in the world (and at an all-time high)?

Last edited:

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did anyone know that opium horticulture in Afghanistan was at an all-time low under Taliban rule, and now is currently the #1 producer in the world (and at an all-time high)?
Yeah many afghanis rely on the farming of it to survive, the taliban destroyed the crops. Pre taliban it was historically a big producer.