The hardtail riding thread

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha was going to post up a pic of belco to make you guys Jealous :p defiantly worth coming down for, so many lines you could spend days there and still be riding different stuff.

No fucken compact street geo here, only real men could get their balls stuck between the tire and that seat.
i had a laugh :D

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I love going over the bars from a steep nearly canadian footjam to flat....... Fuck my wrists are sooooo sore!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nat, you seem to love narrow bars!
Missed this before, what width bars are everyone running? I was running 670, but the bars I've got now are 690, which is perfect IMO. I'm toying with the idea of getting some BIG bars so I can try them out the 243 + my AM bike. How wide is too wide? I know a fair few people who run 750 on dj/4x bikes, but it I reckon you feel a bit stretched out. Even me at 6'5''.

And that skatepark continues to get better. Canberras is the best city for riding in Australia, the (proper) mtbing there is amazing too (I <3 majura pines).

I love going over the bars from a steep nearly canadian footjam to flat....... Fuck my wrists are sooooo sore!
You need some more travel to soften out the landings patto! :p

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, travel in my wrists? lol, got enough in my forks mang =p haha
Of course in your wrists, where else? After a few dislocations you get a nice progressive feeling before they bottom out. :p

In all seriousness: That's a big bandana in your profile shot on CTN imports.

booth

Squid
You guys able to give me any tips for 3's out of a quarter? Currently i either
A) turn to soon and nearly dye by smacking my front tyre into the coping or
b) get the rotation but land nowhere near the pedals

is it a matter of just looking over my shoulder and spotting the landing or am i missing something?

Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Of course in your wrists, where else? After a few dislocations you get a nice progressive feeling before they bottom out. :p

In all seriousness: That's a big bandana in your profile shot on CTN imports.
Haha, they're pretty sore right now.. Hope i can ride tomorrow! haha, i miss that bandana... don't remember what happened to it =[

You guys able to give me any tips for 3's out of a quarter? Currently i either
A) turn to soon and nearly dye by smacking my front tyre into the coping or
b) get the rotation but land nowhere near the pedals

is it a matter of just looking over my shoulder and spotting the landing or am i missing something?
Look down at your rear axle, i find that helped me a lot, and twist your body as you loook. Start rotating once your front wheel leaves the coping.. A little bit of a carve off the lip helps also. Go on youtube and watch some bmx how to vids ]

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Missed this before, what width bars are everyone running? I was running 670, but the bars I've got now are 690, which is perfect IMO. I'm toying with the idea of getting some BIG bars so I can try them out the 243 + my AM bike. How wide is too wide? I know a fair few people who run 750 on dj/4x bikes, but it I reckon you feel a bit stretched out. Even me at 6'5''.

And that skatepark continues to get better. Canberras is the best city for riding in Australia, the (proper) mtbing there is amazing too (I <3 majura pines).

You need some more travel to soften out the landings patto! :p
Nat, how the hell do you ride with such skinny bars! 690 is ridiculously thin! anything more then 750 is not needed. I'm a fairly tall guy (as you are aware) and anything bigger then 750 just feels weird and makes it a bit more difficult to manouver the bike because it feels like your doing a push up every time you try to pick up the bike. You will not feel stretched out, you will feel comfortable, something you probably haven't ever felt!

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow this thread took off haha

yeh, not sure what my proofs are but the districts would have been about 730 at a guess, i run 750's on my dh bike and they are similar, i can still barspin them, anything bigger then 750 feels too wide and a little weird.

you too patto? i went for a pedal after work and there was dew all over the quater, didnt realise, went for a footjam and my front wheel wiped out on re entry so i fell to flat onto my right hand and busted two fingernails open, popped my little finger out at the joint, and bent my hand/wrist back a long way past where its ment to, pretty sore now :( have slightly swollen knees too but nothing on yours haha, footjams suck

crashing sucks!

broke my bars doing a 180 haha, but i'm sure its more from my many bails, and general hacking, i think i've cracked my frame as well.

ah well

and belco/canberra after nz, so next month :) when its a little warmer over there would be nice!

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i run 710mm on both my bikes. for me its perfect.

yeah when was the last time there were 2 posts in the same minute!
haha never in this thread...

yeh, 710 is pretty good, my older districts were about that, i sold them tho.

12deg is heaps of backsweep btw! is your bmx really that backswept?

yeah both my bmx and mtb have 12 degrees backsweep. it took some getting used to but i like it. though coming from 8 degrees backsweep its a pretty big change so there were a few awkward moments on the first ride

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was about to ask if you were taking up djing alex..

But youre just here to flog shit off :p How much are you chasing?

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so yeh, couple of photos of my bike :)

as it was this afternoon, new forks, bars/stem, seat, pedals and chain.

IMG_7236 copy by rohan batt, on Flickr

custom top cap, as the stock one hit the frame

IMG_7242 copy by rohan batt, on Flickr

new bars and stem :) after riding today i really like the bars, not sure about the stem, it slipped 3 times today, but i managed to ovalize my headtube in the process so its hard to say if my old stem wouldnt have slipped aswell.

IMG_7240 copy by rohan batt, on Flickr

new pedals (well, a couple of weeks new) sooo good!

IMG_7243 copy by rohan batt, on Flickr

as of this afternoon i seem to have ovalized the headtube, and there's a crack where the seat stay meets the seat tube, so its out of action now, will hopefully get a new frame asap :)

and ya... some table action

freedom table by rohan batt, on Flickr

oli on the big hip, this line is getting better and better, i think we'll start making it bigger soon.

IMG_7285 copy by rohan batt, on Flickr

also if you dont like me posting photos all the time let me know!

bit of duct tape and she'll be right ;)

if you need to borrow a frame im not using my leaf for now and ive got the bb pressed in so your welcome to pick it up or meet up somewhere. my rooms getting a bit crowded with bikes anyway so itll be good to have some breathing room for a bit

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the offer man! But all being well I should have a majesty frame by Tomorow, then it's just a matter of finding the time to build it, Unfortunatly white is the only color left :(

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the offer man! But all being well I should have a majesty frame by Tomorow, then it's just a matter of finding the time to build it, Unfortunatly white is the only color left :(
just my 2c worth but White with black parts = OffGuts !! :clap2: hahaha

yeah, its all about the stealthy look :). paint stripper and clear coat can solve that issue though...

woo getting a fork on monday then hopefully i can get the rest of the parts for my leaf build on thursday :) just to confirm; bmx hubs work on the identiti rebate fork, right?

if so that means fly bikes female front hub laced to a mavic en521 with straight guage spokes. and all black, of course.

Last edited: