TMBC Track Building Day 28/8/11 XC Extension

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
The TMBC will be holding a track building day on Sunday the 28 of August from 9am until 3pm at the XC extension. (hours are flexible but between these hours volunteers from the club will be there to answer questions and give direction).
Volunteers to meet at the Amos rd gazeebo at 8:45 if arriving later we will see you on the extension, if you need a lift or tools for the day post up and somone will be able to assist.
The aim for the day is to hopfully complete the track to a ridable/council approved standard.

Some of the key jobs will be
-Complete all Brushcutting/line trimming
-Establish corners/berms
-Benching
-Setting the pipes in the gully
-Log and stump removal
-Erosion control
-General track grooming

Currently the track has been mostly cleared apart from a part at the top, most of the benching has been completed apart from a bit near the bottom, most logs and stumps have been removed, there is quite a bit of work in the berms particually in 2 of them, and the bad gully will need a fair bit of work.

Long story short we will need all the hands we can get to get the work done so if you can contribute even a couple of hours on the day it would be greatly appreciated and all mountain bikers will share the benfits.

Last edited:

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should be able to come give a hand. Can I suggest though that instead of knocking off at 3.00pm that we push it out maybe to 5.00ish. I will likely be able to attend after my kids go to sleep around 1.00pm and can give 4 hours of work.

I have some good ideas for the track after having just ridden what I think would be some of the best singeltrack in the world. Canadians can build tracks and are prolific at it. Some towns I visited had over 100km of singletrack with a base of 20 members doing all of the work.

Trail Building Books

Hi Chaps
The IMBA trail building books have arrived from Ground Effects. I can bring them to the Downhill race this Sunday if anyone wants to check them out before the maintaince day. Lots of useful info.
MPM

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
xc extension build day

As far as times go I think flexability is the key to getting people out there, I am trying to make myself available for the better part of the day hoping that we will nearly get it completly finished. It would be good to think that people will be coming and going from early morning to late arfternoon, whatever time people find themselves available. I have found that organizing a group of people to show up anywhere at a specific time is nearly impossible.

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
I'll be there.

I'll bring my line trimmer.

Steve -- can you bring along the club roll of trimmer line? I am all out of my personal stuff.

Matt

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey it would be really great if some of the DH crew could come help on this one on Sunday. I have a handful of blokes lined up but really need some numbers to get this one done. If you are a DH rider reading this you may think why would I bother helping out with the XC track. I guess the main motivation being that once it is complete the volunteers driving this maybe able to drive more events that you can ride/ compete in at a local level. Also lets not forget the number of XC riders that volunteered on the weekend to help with the DH Race. The likes of Jason, Matt, lloyd etc.

Please come give a hand so we can start riding a new track.

jock

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

Can't make this build day as I'll be at the coast. Would love to come along in the future though, don't mind a bit of xc here and there.

Also, I think I have 2 club whipper snippers here along with a couple of rakes. If someone wants to come take them off my hands before the build day you're more than welcome. I'll be around most of tomorrow and then Friday morning.

Let me know your plans,

Jock

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Trail building

Time to get this show on the road then, a few things need to be organized for sundays trail day.

Access through the gate on amos rd - have we got keys or do we need to contact council?
The pipe for the gully is at the top of the track but do we need cement or anything else to finish the job.
Any tools that people have that belong to the TMBC will need to be made available or brought along.
Trailbuilding books for reference.
Someone to give direction, organize and point at things.
A 4by/ute to get people/equipment up to the trail.(I might be able to help here but won't be able to confirm until saturday).
If rain sets in are we just going to postpone to the following weekend?

Anything else or other ideas post up.

I will be bringing a line trimmer, brushcutter, shovel, hoe, rake, chainsaw and anything else not bolted down.

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Hi Pete and others
I was going to ring council and see if we could borrow a couple of brushcutters --
but I am not sure now -- I don't actually think there is much brushcutter work left is there?

Or is there still some up the top?

Get back to me ASAP -- I'll have to ring tomorrow.

Thanks

Matt

sherman

Likes Dirt
Time to get this show on the road then, a few things need to be organized for sundays trail day.

Access through the gate on amos rd - have we got keys or do we need to contact council?
The pipe for the gully is at the top of the track but do we need cement or anything else to finish the job.
Any tools that people have that belong to the TMBC will need to be made available or brought along.
A 4by/ute to get people/equipment up to the trail.(I might be able to help here but won't be able to confirm until saturday).

I will be bringing a line trimmer, brushcutter, shovel, hoe, rake, chainsaw and anything else not bolted down.
Hey Pete,

We have a key but Council will need to be called and ask if we can go into the park.Only two cars are allowed in there and they must have the magnets we have displayed on either side of the car.
Also if it is wet, we are not allowed to take a vehicle in at all. If it is only light rain we receive, it still isn't too far to walk into the track.

I am also a maybe at this stage as I may be going to the coast as well.

Cheers
Jiel

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pete,

I am happy to direct the building in the afternoon if you want me to. I will be there from 1.00-5.00pm.

We will need a chainsaw and safety equipment if this can be organised or maybe a ranger who can help with this.

I will bring a rake, hoe and maddock which will be the most help for what is left.

We may not get it all done on Sunday but if we can make a good start and maybe do the key areas and have a plan for anything leftover then attack it again maybe the following weekend.

If it is raining definately call it off. We worked in the rain there once and that was enough.

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
The bulk of the work for sunday will be benching, berms, the gully job and finish brushcutting from the top down as well as a quick once over with the line trimmer to get rid of grass and rubbish left over from brush cutting.
I have asked Matt to chase up safety gear for the chainsaw from the council and if Jiel can let them know of our intensions for the day.
With the bad gully I'll bring a hand saw to cut the pipe and are we going to just back fill with rocks and dirt or are we going to go to the extent of cementing the up side of the pipe section?
That would be really good if you could direct things in the arv Ryan, a bit of experience will go a long way.
I do agree that we might not get it all done on sunday but if we can get a good crew down there we will certainly get it ridable..

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Chainsaw warning

HI All,

I tried to get onto Chris -- the other ranger I have met there. Could
not get him and was put through to Mark Ready (not sure of the spelling).

This resulted in a warning that noone who is not a council employee should be using a
chainsaw.

He is going to get someone to ring me tomorrow who may be able to come down and do the chainsaw work required.
I will be very difficult to catch tomorrow -- an all day meeting with a funder for work, so I can't really take phone calls.
So we will see how it works out!!

I have been reading the track building books, and will bring them along.

Kind regards,

Matt

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Inclinometer and spirit level

Hi All

If you have either of the above -- bring them along.

I might be able to borrow an inclinometer -- but am not sure at this stage.

These are both fairly important for making some decisions on the track construction.

Kind regards,

Matt

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HI All,

I tried to get onto Chris -- the other ranger I have met there. Could
not get him and was put through to Mark Ready (not sure of the spelling).

This resulted in a warning that noone who is not a council employee should be using a
chainsaw.

He is going to get someone to ring me tomorrow who may be able to come down and do the chainsaw work required.
I will be very difficult to catch tomorrow -- an all day meeting with a funder for work, so I can't really take phone calls.
So we will see how it works out!!

I have been reading the track building books, and will bring them along.

Kind regards,

Matt
Was Mark aware that we only want to clear the trail of fallen trees? I can understand why he would be uncomfortable with anyone falling a living tree & the liability issues that it could create. But falling anything that would require a chainsaw would be poor design anyway.

I should be down there at some stage on Sunday, but just have to work it around some family commitments.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
I can put in a day on the hill on Sunday (dawn to dusk), will bring Rake Hoe/Maddock/Shovel/Crappy Wheelbarrow......let me know how the chainsaw thing goes.......

Can someone bring their bike to see how the "flow goes" when we are benching/berming.

Cheers
John

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Not sure how the system works but is the club able to send an email out to all members to notify/remind them of the trail building day. Not everyone reads this forum every week and some people may not be aware of current activities.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Matt,

A Garmin has gradient in it if that helps. I assume you want a spirt level so that the benching is slightly off camber to allow shedding of water.

Hi All

If you have either of the above -- bring them along.

I might be able to borrow an inclinometer -- but am not sure at this stage.

These are both fairly important for making some decisions on the track construction.

Kind regards,

Matt

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure how the system works but is the club able to send an email out to all members to notify/remind them of the trail building day. Not everyone reads this forum every week and some people may not be aware of current activities.
Done. You should have mail :clap2:

Hi guys

Can't make this build day as I'll be at the coast. Would love to come along in the future though, don't mind a bit of xc here and there.

Also, I think I have 2 club whipper snippers here along with a couple of rakes. If someone wants to come take them off my hands before the build day you're more than welcome. I'll be around most of tomorrow and then Friday morning.

Let me know your plans,

Jock
If anyone wants the gate key, vehicle decals and tools mentioned above, you need to organise something before lunch time today. After that they'll be locked away at home until we return next week.