The Photo Snob Thread

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah yeah, more product shots (and yeah yeah, another guitar):
Halo_stair1.jpg

Dunno if this one will be used either, I've got a brighter model in the same scene, but I'm struggling to get that one right at the moment.

Edit: goddamnit, the blacks look smashed when I see that in the browser, what is FF doing to me?

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Can anyone share their opinion on the Nikon D5100?

I'm currently looking at getting one - 50% used for photography and 50% for video.
I'm an avid amateur videographer (is that a word??) at the moment and am keen to upgrade to something with manual focus among other things.

From what I've read on the net they're a good camera for aspiring amateurs, and is almost identical to the Canon 600D.
From the reviews I've read I think I slightly prefer the images that come out of the canon but a lot of these reviews seem totally biased towards the canon (i.e. the Nikon shots are way out of focus).

The one reason I'm leaning towards the Nikon is that a mate of mine has a Nikon and our plan was that we could buy different lenses and share them with each other.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this? I'd love to hear it :)

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Sorry bro, no idea one the D5100 other than that I hae a D40 and it goes/went extremely well for an ammy cammy (points for trying?).

On that point, at roughly what actuation range will a camera/shutter die? Does quality start to diminish as it's life progresses?

I downloaded Opanda IExif 2.3 and tested it with a shot which said that the camera has had 17080 shutter releases. How accurate is this? Seems a little low for the time that I'e had the camera.
Is this getting too high? Will quality start dropping (not that it could drop too much further, gahh)?

I really don't hae any idea, maybe one of you super technical ones will know. Ango?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Life expectancy of the consumer Nikons is around 150,000 acutations. D2-series is around 200,000 and the D3-series around 300,000.

A replacement shutter for the D3 will usually accompany a buffer upgrade too - nice little bonus there, Nikon :)

Just remember that it's only a rough guide to work off.

The life expectancy of the D700 was often frowned up given it's professional designation yet a shutter life expectancy of 150k.

Just a hint: Default folder sequencing follows your shutter releases and resets at 9999.

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Is that looking across to Rhodes?
Nice pick, yes it is. Not too many people know about these old shipwrecks in the center of Sydney. Lots of potential for shots too.

Just arrived today :)

snip
Nice Callan. Looks like it's time to charge your battery :p

My Son......

Ryan was born on Wednesday morning and so far I reckon I have about 200 images of him.

Cheers

Hux
Congrats Hux, he'll change your life trust me. Enjoy mate :congratulatory:

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
hey all
Been following the thread for a while and love some of the work!
I'm not a pro in any sense nor am i very good at photography i think, but i thought i'd show you some of my HDR photos. sorry about the resolution i had to shrink them to upload and i'm no expert and that either. The photos are of my car, before i tell what kind of car it is (obiviously its a holden but what one), i want some guesses as to what it is. otherwise enjoy the photos

Cheers
Tom

Engine bay 41.jpgSteering wheel dash 21.jpgSteering wheel dash 31.jpg

tu plang

knob
<wrong quote>

You have a half decent eye for composition but the HDR is simply objectionable... IMO.

Last edited:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
TBH I think those first two HDRs look kind of okay, not so much as a technically good photograph but as something that is nice to look at, if that makes sense.. Might have overdone the processing a bit but hell it looks like a painting almost, pretty neat..

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
Is it an EH?, looks like one to me.
Correct! as i said guys i'm no pro at photography or editing, just do it for the memories really, i personally like HDR photography, it looks really cool, but i do prefer good unedited photos like what some of you guys can do! thanks for the C&C.
Cheers
Tom

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Gear for sale:

Nikon D200 body (good condition, 70k accutations), battery, charger, tripod and carry bag - $360
Nikkor 18-55mm (excellent condition) - $60
Nikkor 85 f/1.8 AF-D (mint in box) - $350
Urbangear U60 Camera Backpack - (v. good condition bar some wear under the shoulder straps) - $50

*shrugs*