Angleset headsets.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Anglesets... anyone use them on AM rigs? Tapered headtubes? or at all even?

Thinking of raking out the remedy a degree or two... Mixed results from reviews ive found so far with "noisey" being the common complaint.

Interested to hear...

Liam

Likes Bikes
pushie enterprises have all the K9 offset cups instock.

check your headtube length and see if they have some the fit

they are on facebook.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Mixed results from reviews ive found so far with "noisey" being the common complaint.
Not sure what you mean by noisey, presume thats with the cane creeks and the gimble rattling around or something. For the K9 Angle Reducer Cups (ARC) ... they are just like the usual semi integrated Cups found on all headsets ... so there won't be any rattle or noise with these, when installed correctly. Note: you need an IS compatible headset (specifically the 36 x 45 deg bearings, headset dust cover and races) ... Also come in a frustum (z44/56 top and bottom cups respectively).

The most noticeable impact will be a lower BB and increased pedal strikes ... or need to be more aware of your pedal stroke particularly in tech sections ... if you have the half pedal technique down then you'll be right :)

Go to Insane Cycles or cycotic.com.au, or ask for us at Blackman cycles, Spearman cycles, Edge cycleworks or ask your LBS to contact Pushie (Thanks Liam)

I'd love to slacken my 2010 reign out a little, can it be done?
you need to know the cup sizes of the tapered head tube if its a 44/56 cup then we can help with a K9 2deg ARC.

Alternatively Pushie is bringing in Burgtec's offset hardware ... for both 6mm and 8mm shock bolts ... we're expecting our first delivery mid to late October.

Burgtec are producing the following sizes, so contact Pushie or one of the above dealers to indicate which sizes you'd be interested in so we can make sure we have a few.
19.0 x 8
22.0 x 6
22.0 x 8
30.0 x 8
25.0 x 8

33.6 x 8
40.0 x 8
41.0 x 6

Targeting Trance and Reign owners, Heckler and Bullit owners, Stinky and Stab owners pretty much all the older gen 1 1/8 head tube trail bikes and Canadian Huck bikes :p

Can't wait to try my bullit with a 65.5deg HA

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
MBAction tested two bikes in this month's issue with the Cane Creek AngleSet (Niner RIP9 & Pivot Firebird) - both bike suffered from "a popping noise under hard braking and when hitting flat-edged surfaces". They disassembled, re-greased & reinstalled on both bikes but the problem returned.

Take from this what you will, but adding complication at the headset will likely cause issues over time. That component goes through a lot of stress.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Any of these things work with a Tapered tube?

Have been thinking about seeing what a degree less would be like on my Blur LTc or would one of the burgtec bushes be the go??

Nautonier

Eats Squid
MBAction tested two bikes in this month's issue with the Cane Creek AngleSet (Niner RIP9 & Pivot Firebird) - both bike suffered from "a popping noise under hard braking and when hitting flat-edged surfaces". They disassembled, re-greased & reinstalled on both bikes but the problem returned.

Take from this what you will, but adding complication at the headset will likely cause issues over time. That component goes through a lot of stress.
I run a Cane Creek in a tapered head tube and the first time I rode it I had the popping/cracking noises which I found quite off-putting. I took everything apart and on re-reading the instructions discovered that the gimbals need grease as well. It's been behaving itself ever since.

Personally I would be reluctant to change the HA by 2 degrees, I went for 1.5 and the difference is significant. If you only have the option of 1 and 2 degrees with the K9 I would start with 1 and see how it goes.

scott_swn

Likes Dirt
ive had my cane creek installed on my glory for months. Never had any issue. I installed mine myself and haven't touched it since.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
hmm how much as the cane creek ones are super pricey
Frustum (Tapered) ARCs are RRP $125 ... straight tube ARC are RRP $115 ... see the Pushie Thread for more details ... http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?228865-Introducing-Pushie or head to our facebook page

Will the k9 fit a remedy though? I've checked their site but doesn't really have that much info..
just to confirm from our conversation the remedy is a 56mm bottom therefore K9 have a 4.5" & 5.1" length in a 2deg angle change.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Howdy Bretto

I just confirmed with K9 ... the 5.1"will work, but will likely result in the bearings wearing faster then normal ... so not recommended.
Pushie will be bringing in the burgtec offset bushings and we expect this mid to late October. ... I think I've already spammed the hardware lengths expected, but if you want to measure up your shock hardware and let me know I can confirm if we'll have stock.

The hardware offers a max 1.5deg change in Head Angle ... with micro adjustments available by spinning the bushings. Once bolted Burgtec have advised that the bushings do not spin or flip around, enabling the micro adjustment.

Cheers
Al

matt24

Likes Dirt
this is flogging an old thread but beats making a new one.

I want to slacken the head angle on my specialized status 2 with boxxers. Whats the best way to do it? new headset with a k9 or the cane creek headset?

i have no idea.

thanks
matt

indica

Serial flasher
I went the K9 way and used my existing headset - just the cups were different. I can vouch for this product, for me it has been great.
Whatever is cheaper for you is guess... Do you need a new headset?

matt24

Likes Dirt
rod from crankin pm'd me after seeing my post. waiting to hear back on price on one of the works components angle sets. He has been very Helpful so far. depending on price the k9 is still an option thanks mate.

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its interesting to see how attitudes change with new products......

Im giggling a bit at how 5 years ago, if you put longer forks on a frame and that caused the angle to slacken, everyone screams about how you'll damage your frame etc etc.....but now with angle sets, effectively doing the same thing, altering the angle of forces on the head tube.

Ive never had an issue previously, and plenty of guys have successfully run longer forks without damage to frames.......my how the wheel turns......