Qualifications

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

Can anyone help me to compile a list of any MTB related quals, could include coaching, maintenance etc
Want to know what the qual is called, who issues it and whom it is recognised by.

For eg; there are PMBI intructors, but i believe PMBI is originally based in USA?
I also know of an australian recognised certified MTB maintenance course issued by NSW police (RTO), recognised as Cert 3/4 within National trades certification (AQF -Australian Qualifications Framework).
Just interested as there seems to be a spate of these quals popping up and all calling themselves industry leaders etc, but as there is no exact legislated requirements specifically for MTB quals, (only the recognition through the accepted and trusted ones by cycling governing bodies - aka sporting organisations), wondering where its all going.
Really, I could start a business tomorrow, call myself an industry leader and issue some quasi certificate in something and people would pay for it. But what would that really mean?

Thoughts? Anyone know of any "quals" ?

Big Hit 2008

Likes Dirt
In terms of coaching there are your levels that are nationally recognised through CA and MTBA as well as courses that allow you to coach non-licensed riders. Austcycle is the most notable of these courses as it is a nationally recognised coaching scheme (similar to austswim). I'm sure there are others out there that claim to be "Industry Leaders" but these two forms of coaching are truly Industry Leaders.

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
When I was looking at this stuff and working in Europe, the Scottish Mtb Leaders qualifications were considered generally best practise, and what I got. Of course the French authorities generally don't accept other countries qualifications, but that is another story!

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/scst-scottish-cycling-smbla

Basically the best practise in the UK for teaching skills and also working as a guide, and managed under British Cyclings banner. It would be great if we had something similar over here that was centralised, rahter than just everyone popping up with their own training and qualifications. Certainly there is nothing a comprehensive or as well respected on offer over here at the moment that I would consider doing over and above (or as an alternative) to holding the MBLA award.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In terms of coaching there are your levels that are nationally recognised through CA and MTBA as well as courses that allow you to coach non-licensed riders.
This is part of my point right here.

That ALLOWS me to coach non-liscenced riders? (and for what ENFORCEABLE levels)

Crapola I call. Anyone can coach anyone. Plenty of coaches ,even from OS that coach aussie riders and dont hold any aussie quals.....
So what ALLOWs you to coach, I mean, where is it legislated?
I give that for certain and very specific things, Ie, maybe to be selected as the AUSTRALIAN COACH of a team, Cycling Australia would only support you if you held a specific qual, but even then, Ive seen different.

To me, its all just marketing hype so far. And for those whom are starting to manage skills camps, guided tours etc, there still is no legislated standards. Its all just whats best practice for their own operation and indemnity maybe. But to have a few people call the shots and call things an industry leading standard etc....I cant fathom it. Nearly all these skills camps etc make themselves sound ridgy didge by saying they are XXXXX certified etc. But I find it meaningless. As an example, if we were to mention RENNIE , for his new coaching skills venture in NZ , I'd say it would be worth attending, just to draw on his personal experience, but I doubt anyone would care even if he wasnt certified. But i bet he will teach HIS standard (lessons learned through own experience) and whether that meets a general standard, well........

But , I am watching with baited breath as things have been developing over time.

Oh and as a side point, how long will it be till all volunteer officials etc will need working with children checks in the sport of cycling/MTB......(or wont we be able to run the junior events/categories without it?)

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Contact GOTAFE Benalla, they run nationally accredited MTB skills through to Instructor level.

martinpb

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Can anyone help me to compile a list of any MTB related quals, could include coaching, maintenance etc
Want to know what the qual is called, who issues it and whom it is recognised by.

For eg; there are PMBI intructors, but i believe PMBI is originally based in USA?
I also know of an australian recognised certified MTB maintenance course issued by NSW police (RTO), recognised as Cert 3/4 within National trades certification (AQF -Australian Qualifications Framework).
Just interested as there seems to be a spate of these quals popping up and all calling themselves industry leaders etc, but as there is no exact legislated requirements specifically for MTB quals, (only the recognition through the accepted and trusted ones by cycling governing bodies - aka sporting organisations), wondering where its all going.
Really, I could start a business tomorrow, call myself an industry leader and issue some quasi certificate in something and people would pay for it. But what would that really mean?

Thoughts? Anyone know of any "quals" ?
I've done the PMBI. The instructors are based in Whistler, but Matt from Bike Techniques has brought it over to OZ.

There's also TAFE quals in outdoor ed, which are good for getting you thinking in a safety centric way, but i didn't find them that useful for skills teaching.

MTBA/CA have a coaching course that is (i believe) focused on preping XC style racers (i'll let you know in a few weeks)

I've read though the SMBLA work and considered doing the course (not as daft as it sounds, i'm from Northern England) but having done PMBI i don't think i'll be following up on that line

I can't comment on Nathan Rennie's teaching, but i have had lessons from world class racers that i wasn't particularly happy with the teaching.

There is nothing really stopping you from developing your own curriculum and teaching methods, arranging for professional indemnity insurance and running your own skills classes as "learn to ride here". Then it just comes down to you. If your teaching is good and people are happy, you're a MTB skills guru, if not...

IMHO over time there is likely to be a move towards a particular standard of teaching, similar to the way that there is a standard for ski instructing.