Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

moto_guy

Banned
Moto riders! What's it like learning to ride a motorbike after riding pushies for years? I want to get my motorbike license and maybe buy a moto. Is it easy to pick up? I mean, I've never been on a motorbike.. ever. I'm assuming after I've learnt the clutch/gears then it'll will feel like a 130kg bicycle, is it close-ish?
For me it was very easy to pick up. If you can ride a bicycle well and can understand how any clutch works you should have no problems.

Its a pretty different riding style comparing moto to bicycle. With a motorcycle you sort of have to work with the weight of the bike to get it to do what you want. Where as pushbikes you point and shoot and just tell it where to go.

Pick a bike from the LAMS list and go have some fun

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet, Yeh I'm pretty good with a clutch & riding bikes so that seems ok. I saw the LAMs list but it's pretty big and so far I've just been googling each bike on the list haha. What's a good moto forum?

Ben.

Banned
May not be the right thread to ask but....

Idea on a first car? P-Plate legal, Victorian regulations..

Looks to spend around 6grand, really have no idea, been thinking a Ford, AU model ute, still unsure, needs to have reasonable amounts of power to carry bikes around to races ect,...

Thoughts?

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
I am not sure if I am just weird or if alot of people get this,
when I first rode a dirt bike when I panicked I would just grab the front brake so the throttle was still locked on with my palm.
On a push bike this would be no problem, but on a moto it usually ends badly

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
Sweet, Yeh I'm pretty good with a clutch & riding bikes so that seems ok. I saw the LAMs list but it's pretty big and so far I've just been googling each bike on the list haha. What's a good moto forum?
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/

Also, DRZ400SM is probably the maddest LAMS bike around.
I can recommend a dirt bike/ motard as a first bike. Those things are built to take a knock if and when you put it down - there are no expensive fairings to damage.

moto_guy

Banned
I am not sure if I am just weird or if alot of people get this,
when I first rode a dirt bike when I panicked I would just grab the front brake so the throttle was still locked on with my palm.
On a push bike this would be no problem, but on a moto it usually ends badly
Yerp your just a spaz :clap2:

Suzuki DRZ400sm's are pretty sick if you are tall enough because they have a pretty high seat height and can intimidate some learners. The Yamaha XT660 motard is also lams approved bit more power then the drz but less aftermarket go fast parts.

If your after a road bike Yamaha XJ6SL is lams approved only because of a throttle restriction. If you take this out you have a full power 600cc bike. Just don't crash it and expect insurance to pay out because it would be deemed modified and unsafe.

Depends if you want a road bike, naked, motard, cafe racer. They all have there advantages and disadvantages. What sort of bike do you want? what do you want to do with it?

Insurance is a killer watch out for age and license excess premiums.

http://www.aussiestreetbikes.com/forum/ is pretty good

strika

Likes Bikes
1995 ZX6R F1 Supersport Racer

This is a bike I bought at the end of the 1995 season. It was raced by a bloke who some will know or some will remember, Troy Bayliss. He came 2nd on it in the 1995 Australian SuperSport Championship. I rode it to nowhere in 1996. I then sold it to a mate, who did nothing with it. He then sold it to another bloke, who raced it twice and parked it. In 2005, I tracked it down and bought it back. It needed a makeover, which has now been done. I havn't ridden it since 2006. But I do like to pull it out of mothballs and go give the young guys a dust up every now and then. I'm no longer fast, never was actually, but can still hang a 62 second lap of Broadford or a 105 second lap of Phillip Island on it. So not embarrassing, but not sharp. :eek:range:

The build was done by Gavin Cosway in compliance of the then current GCR's for Australian SuperSport 600's. It's still legally able to be raced in the SS class, but naturally being a 16 nearly 17 year old bike, it's not as light/powerful/sharp as the current stuff. But, I still love riding it, i've had it so long i've gotten to know it well and I know when it's just about to fall over and I can back it off a touch.....

It has WP rear shock, revalved and resprung. The forks are my favourite component. Some will appreciate this. In SS racing, the forks must remain standard externally, but you can modify springs and valving. So, my suspension guy, who is an ex Australian 125cc GP champ, put low speed compression and rebound in the left leg and high speed compression and rebound in the left leg. So I think it's the only bike of it's era with high and low speed compression and rebound in the forks. It really does work a treat too. Last outing on it turn one at broadford was wet and I was able to hold the front in a slide going in, lap after lap after lap. It truly is full of awesomeness............ :)

There are some other tricky things on it, like a full Muzzy titanium exhaust, carbon firbre ram air pods, roller bearing rearset linkages, hand turned carb needles, modified CDI with no rev limit (makes lots of power, but can bite.... it did last outing and I now have a brand new motor in it as a result... ooops), plus all the other usual bits like 1/4 turn throttles etc. shorter hand made bars, CF fairings etc.,

The white, green colour scheme is from when I owned and raced it in 1996, the silver is how I found it in 05 and did a meeting or two in that shceme, then the green/black is how it was raced last in 05/06 and how it still looks today.... apart from a layer of dust.... :)

Attachments

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
This is a bike I bought at the end of the 1995 season.
Thanks for that awesome post mate, I had a ball reading through that :) The ZX6R's are a great bike.
You don't sound too shabby on the track by any means! What are you riding now?

<Insert random tangent>
In the past five months, my mate has gone through: Kawasaki ZX6R, Yamaha XT660X and a VTR1000.
Not crashed, mind you. Bought and then sold at a profit. He is an absolute freakin' nutter of a rider and I am jealous as hell. I wish I grew up riding dirt bikes from age 3 :p

The XT600X is a bloody good bike for the money. I don't think it should be on the LAMS list though ;)

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
So, my camaro just failed over the pits again. 2 years in the making and it took 3 guys and hour to find 3 issues. On the plus side, it will take me about 3 hours to fix the issues so should be on the road next week.

Also did a decode of the cowl tag, never got round to doing it before. Anyway, turns out it is actually a genuine SS/RS 1967 Camaro, and all the various modifications are factory stock. Meaning it is a relatively rare car. So I'm really fired up about that, and it is definitely changing my plans for the car. Considering a full factory style resto, as opposed to the resto-mod I've been doing. Pretty stoked.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Might as well throw these up on here.

1994 Toyota Aristo...... too many mods to list since I've been building it for nearly 4 years. It threw 298.5KW @ wheels on old crappy ecu / fuel set up on 18psi. With new ecu, fuel, cams, etc, chasing 380'ish on about 25psi.

Also, loving the aristo. I'm not often a big fan of Japanese cars, but that is so subtley executed-the lines look so clean and mean all at once.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, does anyone know anything (well more than me) about car soundsystems? In particular subwoofers?

I currently have two 12" boxed JBLs running off a 1000W Kenwood amp. They've been perfect. They're loud as fuck and go hard. BUT, I listen to a lot of electronic music and I've decided that I want to go for a punchier style sub. When I purchased the system I originally bought two 12" Kickers, but the box wouldn't fit in the boot of my car, so to save space and money (for a new box) I went for the JBLs in a smaller one.

So I have a few questions:

1: What are peoples recommendations for a sub thats a bit more punchy? Less of a round sound and more of a kick.

2: Will the new subs require soldering/complicated installation, or is it a pretty simple system?

3: Is it worth looking on ebay/gumtree/etc for second hand subs, or is everything on there thrashed?

I appreciate your help!

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I got my motorbike licence at the start of April this year. Like many people when I was first looking at bikes I was set on getting a Kawasaki ninja 250 just because they look like the ninjas bigger brothers the 600 and 1000. My dad who has been riding motorbikes since 16 and worked in a Kawasaki dealer was desperately trying to talk me out of buying one. I went down to slacks creek to all the dealers and saw what was on offer. There are a few good options, Honda cb400, susuki gs500, ninja 650L restricted. hyosung make a 650 that looks ok, but its a hyosung...
Out of thoes bikes the cb400 is easily the nicest but thats reflected in price $10,500 brand new and $7,000 - $9,000 used. Its the most powerful with 39 kw to 170kg. I realized I couldn't quite stretch to buying one so I ended up with the gs 500, the gs has 34 kw to 180 kg. they are about $7500 brand new i think. I picked mine up for $5,250 2008 model with <4,000km. I would strongly recommend the gs, I commute 300km a week on mine to uni, cheap to buy, run, service engine is pretty torquey and pretty quick 0-100 in 5-6 seconds so you will still beat just about anything away from the lights.

comparing to the ninja the ninja has 23kw to 150kg so include a 75kg rider and do the math as how much more power the others have. Keep in mind that you will likely drop it so try to avoid a faired bike I dropped mine, just wasn't thinking and it rolled off the side stand all it copped was the clutch leaver bent very slightly and a minute scratch on the underside of the engine. I did chuck my self under it to save it tho which would have helped minimize the damage.
The cb400 and gs500 would be my pick out of the lot, forgot to mention that honda hake a cbr250 but it has like 18kw or something piss weak.

Hope this helps.

The old XR6T was getting a bit long in the tooth and feeling more and more tired (read: like a taxi) as every day wore on.

It has done me mostly decent service for 5 years/146k kms, only let me down a few times (and all of them out of warranty!!)

So, a-car shopping I went. After the lovely experience of dealing with new car salespeople, I ran across a good one, and punched out a deal.

Picked it up yesterday.

Out with the old, in with the new.

MY11 370z Manual Coupe (September build)

List of future mods: Exhaust/Intake/Up-Rev/Oil Cooler/Suspension/18's and semis for track

I figure, I have no children, therefore no need for another sedan/wagon/crew cab ute as per my vehicles in the past.

Besides, if I set the precedent, the Mrs can't complain next time around when I get something real nice! Hehe...

The only thing I wish for this car is that Alfa Romeo had made it, or something very like it (RWD, Manual, Light-ish, Powerful) instead of that pathetic hunk of shite known as the Brera.

Last edited:

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at an ebay motor becuase fixing my gpx's engine looks to be uneconomical both in terms of money and time.

Who's shipped a motorcycle engine interstate before? Who did you use? Rough cost?

HELP ! :D
EGO Couriers, 40kg engine from Melbourne to Queensland door to door was around $25. Ridiculously cheap.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm no longer fast, never was actually, but can still hang a 62 second lap of Broadford or a 105 second lap of Phillip Island on it. So not embarrassing, but not sharp. :eek:range:
Mate you should be racing motoGP with a 1:05 at the Island. Fastest lap around there is a 1:28 on a bike and 1:24 by a car.

Do ya mean 2:05? Im sure yor can break the 2mins barrier.

Nice write up on a cool bike with history.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate you should be racing motoGP with a 1:05 at the Island. Fastest lap around there is a 1:28 on a bike and 1:24 by a car.

Do ya mean 2:05? Im sure yor can break the 2mins barrier.

Nice write up on a cool bike with history.
105 second = 1:45