The New Dad thread

simon80

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the congrats guys!

With regards to all the stuff you need for a new baby, I have a few tips that might help out considering I only just went through all this very recently.

Cot/changetable/bassinet/toybox/ect - Ebay is gold for this stuff. Considering that most babies only use a cot for a relatively short period of time, plus the main wear on it wil be teethmarks, you can get near new stuff very cheap. Even if you get what you want in a colour you dont want, most of this furniture requires very little paint. I bought change table and matching toybox off ebay for 0.99c. It was brand new but with with a stained timber finish. I just primed and painted it for the cost of a tin of paint. As for a cot, I ended up buying a grotime rollover http://www.grotime.net/products/rollover
The beauty for me was that it transforms from a bassinet to a cot, toddler bed, day bed and full size single bed. The only extra you need to buy is a mattress for the full sized bed.

Pram - get what is practical and check it for size in your boot.. We went with this one http://www.valco.com.au/ProductItem.asp?pid=100&bid=17&sid=575&page=1&nm=Moving with one
It was on sale for around $400 and for its price point was great value. Big wheels, quick release 360 swivelling front wheel makes maneuvering in tight spaces easy.

Carseat - Personally I wanted to see the seat I was buying. This is one area i didn't mind spending $$ considering the value of its cargo. I bought one that can be adjusted whist fitted to the car rather than having to be removed first. Also, by law you are required to have it professionally fitted and certified. I negotiated with the retailer and got them to install it for free.

Baby showers provide heaps of stuff. As do families. My parents got us a baby bjorn and I cant wait to give it a try. We ended up with so much stuff that my wife's friends all chipped in and bought her a trendy nappy bag. Totally unnecessary to spend that much but if you need nothing else I guess why not?

Start stockpiling nappies. Even better, do what I have been doing and slip a few in the bag every time you visit the hospital. Its suprising how many you need each day - up to and exceeding 10 apparently!!

Sorry to go on. Hands up who can tell I'm in the hospital waiting for my son to amuse me when he wakes up again??

workmx

Banned
1st birthday

My daughter just turned 1 year old.

Eating her birthday lunch...

Same attitude as before...! :cool:

Pete J

loves his dog
Just thought i'd dig up one of the best threads ever here on Far... errr, Rotorburn.
We have number 3 coming along and he/she should be here within the next few months. Yay!
I gotta say that Rod (RCOH) was spot on when he said that having kids was the hardest thing you will ever do.
Despite all of the work involved, i am over the moon with our kids.
Things haven't come easily but it has all been worth it, being a dad is the best! :D

RCOH

Eats Squid
Congrats Pete!

3, as they say, is the magic number. My twins are 7 in May, and my daughter 2 in July. Work + School +Wife's uni + Wife's work + day care + weekend activities makes for a hectic week (not to mention time for riding or catching up with friends), but whilst it is hard work it is very rewarding (as you know). I think parenting comes down to good time management - something which I am not too good at!

All the best mate - you'll be fine.

Pete J

loves his dog
Thanks! 3 is the magic number for sure. :D
Time management sure is the key, especially if you have implemented a routine based lifestyle.
We decided long ago to do certain things at set times, mainly so that the kids have a sense of security in day to day life.
It's also important that they get enough sleep and that we get to have a break as well.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks! 3 is the magic number for sure. :D
Time management sure is the key, especially if you have implemented a routine based lifestyle.
We decided long ago to do certain things at set times, mainly so that the kids have a sense of security in day to day life.
It's also important that they get enough sleep and that we get to have a break as well.
Pete! It's been a long while mate but that's awesome mate, congratulations!

Hope the missus, the two bairns and Rotorburn's favourite Jippo are doing well. A dozen e-beers to you sir.

Pete J

loves his dog
Cheers Dave!
It has been a long while indeed, i've been away from pretty much every forum i previously frequented.
I made the decision to spend less time on the innernet and then hey presto, 2 or 3 years just whizz by...
How is your 'list' coming along? I'm guessing that it is rather impressive by now! :D
And your daughter, how old is she now? Must be close to 3 years old if i'm not mistaken.
Our son turns 4 in August, our daughter just turned 2 and number 3 should be here some time in May.
Unfortunately Jippo doesn't live with us anymore, we found him a new home just recently. :(
My wife has had a pain riddled pregnancy (again) and the work involved in taking care of 2 kids and a dog became too much.
Whenever i was at work, she would have to walk with Jippo and the kids up to twice a day. Which doesn't sound so bad if you didn't know what Finnish weather is like.
Having to dress 2 kids (and herself), then walk the dog with a double pram in the snow and cold is really hard work.
Throw in another kid and you are looking at mission impossible. Some days you can't even walk very easily by yourself, let alone with the pram and dog in tow.
I am gutted about him not being here but i also know that this was the only solution. Luckily, we managed to find him the best home possible.
Anyway, here's to my mate Jippo! :D

Attachments

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know what you mean, time is flying by.
Mate I'm gutted for you, but under the circumstances I understand not being able to keep him at home. He's a big unit compared to the puppy photo's from years ago, probably all fur considering the climate.
I still get to use the interwebz for stuff like this when the little person isn't watching ABC kids shows online, our little grub is 2 going on 12, she's a handful but a lot of fun.
The beer list has suffered terribly since becoming a Dad, only up to 1508 and loads more to add but haven't had the time or money to be honest. Balancing 2 jobs, uni and a 2 year old is difficult at best. C'est la vie.

Pete J

loves his dog
'Only' 1508, hahaa. I like your attitude!
You sound like a busy man, hang in there mate.
Here is a pic of our Emma hanging out in the 'sandpit'.

Attachments

doosh

Likes Bikes
We've got a kid on the way, due in October, and it is officially time to freak out. Before we found out we bought some land and organising a builder to put a house on it (first home), and have got our wedding in May/June, so it feels like absolutely everything is happening in the next 6 months.

Luckily the mrs' family is pretty well off, so her mum is going nuts buying stuff in anticipation of the baby, but goddamn this is going to be an expensive 7 months. Anyone got any tips on where I can save some money, or any good products (prams, car seats etc)? We went into one of those baby superstores and of course everything with the biggest price tag on it was the mrs' favourite. I'm more looking for handmedowns and ebay specials, but she's not a fan of second hand baby goods.

Also a related joke I heard this week:
You always hear women say how painful childbirth is and how nothing a man experiences can come close to that pain, including getting smashed in the balls. Often 2 or 3 years after the first child has been born a woman will be considering having a second. You never hear a man say "Jeez, I wouldn't mind getting another kick in the nuts".

^^ ain't nothing wrong with hand me downs, just have to tell her that the kid has worn them a few times and that's it. It's like new and in a month or so your kid will be grown out of them too.
My little parcel came in on the 1st April, she is so tiny and hardly fits in to any of the clothes we have.
Somethongs we have brought new but more then most are second hand, my cjick is picky on things too but a tight arse too.
I have my brothers old dressing table and crib at home and we brout some other things second hand too.
Pram was new, car seat new there the things that I wouldn't buy second hand that's about it..
All the best with the new delivery, enjoy the free time whilst you have it...

And a question for the other dads.

Does anyone use those baby monitors?
My chick is scared to leave the baby sleeping in another room whilst we make dinner/what not...
I was looking at maybe getting a uhf walkie talkie set, would be good to use them after baby is bigger too if you know what I mean?
Does any one use or have use anything that could reckonmend a good set?

Also amazing just how unfunctional a persons brain can be with out a few days sleep

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
And a question for the other dads.

My chick is scared to leave the baby sleeping in another room whilst we make dinner/what not...
I was looking at maybe getting a uhf walkie talkie set, would be good to use them after baby is bigger too if you know what I mean?

Also amazing just how unfunctional a persons brain can be with out a few days sleep
Yeah, we have one with the video camera built in, freaking awesome as you can turn the sound off and just watch, the thing lights up with movement. I highly recommend them.

+1 for hand me downs of clothes and toys. Ours grew out of his clothes so quickly, it was a waste to buy anything. The only clothing you should buy are those Onesies and Singlets.
Also, think about the pram, very hard!!!! how much space does it leave in your boot, does it fit in the boot? How much does it weight, your partner maybe strong but lifting an 11kg pram in and out of the boot every time takes it's toll. Like your MTB, the lighter the better. The McLaren strollers are really good, but you get what you pay for. We have a 3 wheeler Mountain bugger aswell, fantastic off road, sucks if you want to push it in a straight line! (That can be said for all 3 wheelers.)
Car seats, don't get me started on these god aweful necessities. Have it installed by a professionals, and what what he does so you can do it yourself next time. This is farkin critical.
When the kid is facing rearwards, the front passenger has bugger all room, even in bigger cars so I'm told. I'm unlucky enough to have an Impreza so my knees connect to the dashboard when I ride shotgun!

If you wanted to save money, you shouldn't have had a kid!:single_eye:

Ivan

Eats Squid
schneller schneller said:

we have been using the hisense baby monitor mainly for the breathing monitor. We can hear her if she cries, but the thing goes into alarm if it cant detect breathing, and seems to be pretty accurate. That thing gives me and my wife piece of mind

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Also, by law you are required to have it professionally fitted and certified. I negotiated with the retailer and got them to install it for free.
Actually, this statement is incorrect. I have yet to read any information that states in needs to be fitted by a professional and certified.
Baby Centre.
RACV Site.
Education.vic.gov
Vic Roads.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Note: I highly recommend you get a professional to fit it first, and watch what they do so you can fit it yourself properly the next time it's needed. Buy a spare tention clip as well, just incase you need one down the track which eliminates the need to remove the one in your car.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for the video monitors, they are awesome if you want to check on the kid without going in there and disturbing them. As a bonus, you get funny footage. We had the cam hooked up to the PVR and recorded our daughter beating the hell out of the camera with a stuffed giraffe. Still cracks me up years later

For car seats, a good option is to hire the newborn capsule. You only need it for 4-6 months and they can be hired way cheaper than buying (and the hire place fits them). You can then splash out on a seat for the next 4 years or so. Alas seats are generally a get what you pay for deal, we went with the top of the safe-n-sound range. Not cheap but we had it for ages and it did seem heaps more comfy. They have really good head support with an insert called AHR (active head restraint). We did notice a difference when we had a hire car with a cheaper seat.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stepping up for a second one, the missus is far enough along now to let everyone know.
I'm stoked, our first will be three when the next one comes along and she's looking forward to a little brother or sister.
Counting down to January, better get some riding in now.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Stepping up for a second one, the missus is far enough along now to let everyone know.
I'm stoked, our first will be three when the next one comes along and she's looking forward to a little brother or sister.
I am in exactly the same boat mate, no.2 is due mid december, little man turns 3 in Jan. He's cuddling my wife's belly and saying 'hello baby' to his little brother/sister, very cute. Trying to smash some ride time in before things get too crazy, work is dogging my efforts though..

RCOH

Eats Squid
Great news Dave, hearty congratulations to you all.