2012 Snow Thread

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Its getting to that time of year again, things are getting a bit chilly. I saw on Facebook this morning that perisher has covered its self with what looks like 5 maybe 10 cm of snow.

Who's heading where this year? Got any new gear for the season?

I'm heading to Queenstown again this year between 10th of July and returning on the 20th. Staying at Reavers with 4 mates, hired a parado (didn't go much on catching buses last year). Looking at doing 2 days at remarks, 1 coronet, 1 treble cone, 1 snow park, and 2 at cardrona.

Got my fingers crossed for good snow, last year was a bit touch and go luckily there was a big dump the night before we arrived. Cant wait.

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
Yeeew, snow thread!
I reckon, it's been bloody cold in Canberra for the past few days. Hopefully we're leading up to an insane season.

That sounds mad!
I got my Perisher Freedom Pass + skitube late last year (it was an awesome deal with the extra $60 or whatever it was for the train) and a few mates and I are in the midst of planning ski trip to NZ mid July.

Has anyone got any tips for accommodation in Queenstown or an easy way to get to the slopes without a hire car?
Which airline are you flying with, dog boy?

Haha well. For this season I'll be repping one of these:
http://www.beardski.com/store/beardski-prospector-ski-mask.html

Who else has new stuff?

Hew

Likes Dirt
YEP! First time Skiing in NZ this year with the missus. We haven't booked anything yet, but we're going to go late in the season for some spring skiing.

EDIT: Since everyone seems to be going to Queenstown, where would people suggest staying?

It will be my girlfriend and I (both 20), so somewhere not insanely expensive and close to the slopes would be good. Does anyone know of any places to hire cars for an u21yo without a full license? I've done a brief amount of research and I'm not sure if it's going to be possible.

Last edited:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Flying with Virgin blue, got 23kg of luggage which was just enough last year.

As for getting up the mountain I bused it last year. It was ok pretty good for remarks and coronet $5 or $10 return buses every 30 mins or so. down side is that if its a snowy day they have to put chains on and u can wait an hour for a bus. Bus to treble cone and cardrona are about $40 -$50 return :/. figured it would be cheaper and easier to hire a car this year.

Could even give 2 people a lift to where were going that day if needed cause its a 7 seat and there will be 5 of us.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going back to queenstown this year 2nd of august to the 25th, cant wait! Got myself a libtech travis rice pro horsepower 161.5 to compliment my custom for when i want the slightly bigger board, probably more for when i go back country, off piste or helis.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since I've moved back to Aus and no longer living in NZ, I'm heading over for 5-6 weeks from mid June - late July. Got a Snow Park season pass (on sale till the 14th, check it out if you're going to be there for more than 4 days), and will also be doing a few days at Hutt and Ohau. Also looking at spending a few days out hiking/sledding backcountry near Hutt though, just depends on the snow quality.

No new hardware, but having shredded my pants in Hokkaido last season, I'm in the market for a new pair.

Edit:
Since everyone seems to be going to Queenstown, where would people suggest staying?
YHA private room. You're going to be too fucked each night to really appreciate whatever room you stay in. And for like $30 pp per night, it's pretty cheap. As far as 'close to the slopes', this is about as good as you'll get for the price.
I would also recommend heading over to Wanaka for a night if you'd like a break from Queenstown. It's much more chilled and has much more of a 'local' feel than QT. Also, Wanaka has RedStar, which make the best burgers in NZ. If you are interested in Wanaka, send me a message and I'll try and hook you up with some mates for accommodation.

Does anyone know of any places to hire cars for an u21yo without a full license? I've done a brief amount of research and I'm not sure if it's going to be possible.
Nope, not possible. I've got both my Aust and NZ full licenses, and I can't even hire a car when in NZ. But, check out Naked Bus for cheap transport. Once you're in QT, just hitchhike everywhere (includes the slopes).I would suggest hitching for your entire trip, but I figure the girlie wouldn't love it all that much...

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Nope, not possible. I've got both my Aust and NZ full licenses, and I can't even hire a car when in NZ. But, check out Naked Bus for cheap transport. Once you're in QT, just hitchhike everywhere (includes the slopes).I would suggest hitching for your entire trip, but I figure the girlie wouldn't love it all that much...
Do not go Naked bus. Whatever you do, do not go naked bus. Some friends and I used them to get from Christchurch to QT. Bus broke down halfway. They sent a replacement, which then broke down 2/3rds of the way in a town called Twizel, which is remarkably silent hill-esque. The driver was aggressive and abusive towards passengers, especially those who didn't speak english. They made no apology for the fact their buses sucked. They didn't have a replacement that would fit an entire busload, so they sent 1 small bus a few of the more resourceful passengers managed to hire another bus from a motel/hotel thing near Twizel which a passenger drove to QT. The trip took about twice as long as it should have, and for all that even refused to refund the return part of our ticket.

I really wish I had exaggerated any of that...

Hew

Likes Dirt
YHA private room. You're going to be too fucked each night to really appreciate whatever room you stay in. And for like $30 pp per night, it's pretty cheap. As far as 'close to the slopes', this is about as good as you'll get for the price..
Good point. I refuse point blank to share a room with people other than my girlfriend. She took an opportunity to do one of those cheap package deals down at thredbo and ended up sharing a room with disgusting backpackers (this lot were particularly bad) and living on 2 minute noodles all week.

How far is the city from the slopes? I assume getting a free/cheap shuttle is the best option, is there a train?

I appreciate your advice Matty, and others, it's difficult gaining really simple information about a place sometimes.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looking forward to this season at pershier, cant belive the price of the season pass!

still rocking my onepeice airblater suit, but considering a change...to another one ;)

also hove some lovely dc park boots for sale, brand new if someone wants em. designed by neff. size 10.5

Also to get you going, do a vimeo search for "nike chosen". i did 3 seasons at the place they have built the park. missing it badly!

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Planning on heading up to falls this year as i didn't get to last year
super keen to get out skiing again! been so long
I hope it all goes our way and we have a good season :)

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good point. I refuse point blank to share a room with people other than my girlfriend. She took an opportunity to do one of those cheap package deals down at thredbo and ended up sharing a room with disgusting backpackers (this lot were particularly bad) and living on 2 minute noodles all week.

How far is the city from the slopes? I assume getting a free/cheap shuttle is the best option, is there a train?

I appreciate your advice Matty, and others, it's difficult gaining really simple information about a place sometimes.
Closest to queenstown is coronet which is about 25-30min drive from town, remarkables is about 45-an hour depending how rally you drive haha! If you can get one hire cars are pretty good value in qt, for 23 days ours is costing about $800 and we didint even go the cheapest option, dunno about the busses and stuff though, lots of people do use them. Nah no train either. You dont need a car to get around town if your staying close enough, we only used ours for ski field trips and some random night drives.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just picked up a set of ex demonstrator burton 2012 diodes. They are basically brand new (assuming the pics are accurate) and all lovely, shiny carbon. can. not. wait.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just picked up a set of ex demonstrator burton 2012 diodes. They are basically brand new (assuming the pics are accurate) and all lovely, shiny carbon. can. not. wait.
Just for the extra wank factor? ;)

Let us know how they ride. I'm yet to find a set of high-end Burton hardware that I think is worth the $$, so it will be interesting to see if the Diodes are any different.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just for the extra wank factor? ;)

Let us know how they ride. I'm yet to find a set of high-end Burton hardware that I think is worth the $$, so it will be interesting to see if the Diodes are any different.
Their advertising mumbo-jumbo claims the carbon has some important role, but the reviews I read suggest most owners love them. I"ll report in when I've given them some decent use.

And nothing looks as sexy as carbon weave!

callum1

Likes Dirt
i have seen real snow only once before in my life, and there was no skiing to be done on it. However i have just started the planning stage of a boarding trip to either wistler or japan in early feb 2013...should be pretty good i reckon.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Helmet or no helmet?
Never worn one snowboarding before, I think it would feel restrictive and not as warm. Considering getting one tho because I want to hit the bag jump that remarks usually has and I plan on spending a lot of time in the park this season.