Level of trust of buyers....

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got a PM from a rotorburner whom wants to buy a seat clamp from me.
He has a Zero post count.
I asked for a phone number to see if hes legit, to send my bank details but got this reply:

"i do but you need a mobile number which i can give you but wont work for 3 weeks. i live in indonesia and work out of darwin(6 on/6 off) so i didnt want to freak you out with a overseas number. i still have access to my internet banking here and have a po box in darwin which is where i will need it sent. if your keen to send me your bank details in an email i will be happy to deposit the money and send you my postal address, i bank with ANZ. pearse.steven@gmail.com is my email. if you are skeptical that im not a real person(hahahahaha) check out POTD from last week and you will see my mate posted some fotos of me here in bandung.
ok mate if not i will send you my aussie number in 3 weeks. cheers

regards,
steve"

He may well be legit, and Im not bagging him, but as theres no show of him being a forum user, and as I have no trust yet to give him my bank or paypal details, anyone else know who ktmsteve is?

Im happy to wait the 3 weeks as he suggests.....

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'm more wary about this as it is only a seat clamp like how easy are they come by and they are cheap, you would think he would just grab one from somewhere else instead of going through all the crap. Do we have a post limit on buying as well, I think that while there may be some negatives associated with it i think most users might agree with the idea of a 5post count for a buyer, Let them see the selling section so those who wish to use email or phone numbers can still be contacted to keep the newbies available for buying but they cannot reply on RB. Therefore those who want RB contact only can have a bit more piece of mind with users buying off the site requiring them to have 5 decent posts.

I briefly remember hearing about another user on here and a similar story about a Indonesia job and Aus location? could be wrong and he could be legitimate but it seems sketchy.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Just for my education, but what can someone do if they have your bank account details? I assume they need more than that to steal funds.??

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just for my education, but what can someone do if they have your bank account details? I assume they need more than that to steal funds.??
They can steal your identity........the favourite thing in places like Indonesia....

But Steve does seem legit , in another PM, he talks "Aussie", and once I have more info from him, Ill probably have no issue even going paypal.

But the sad thing is that while he may be legit, there are many others out there that arent.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
But the sad thing is that while he may be legit, there are many others out there that arent.
I bought some 5/10s off a regular on here about a month ago. Paid on the day, they haven't arrived. 2 weeks ago he promised to look into it, as he knows the PO manager, but he now won't return pm's, emails or posts in his thread. And, yes, hes been logged on numerous times in last few weeks. Shit can get lost in the mail, but it's the lack of communication I'm pissed about.

barron

Likes Dirt
I'm still fairly new to these woods and have benefitted greatly from RB generally and the trading forums. I'm also accepting of the informal sale process which is undertaken on most occassions with the buyer carrying the lions share of risk (identy fraud not included), and would not expect RB to take any responsibility for sale failures. But does anyone know if there is a process within RB to flag issues with sellers/buyers? would be a shame to allow problem customers to dupe multiple users, as the above post may be an example of.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've sold a few things to people with a zero post count before and was also a bit sceptical at first (one had been a member for a few years with 0 posts!) since they were not cheap items. If this guy is legit then he would not have a problem providing you with a bunch of details, how hard is it to supply a name, address and contact number when you are sending pm's anyway? I would give him your mobile number and tell him to give you a call next time he's in Darwin.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Ask him to email you his AU drivers licence or passport details?

What sort of seat clamp is it, something rare? If it was i wouldn't be surprised that some searching the net stumbles across it, creates account to make a purchase.

I only pay cash in person and inspect the item before I pay, it means I only buy local - or travel, and I will never have anything seedy happen, besides being robbed, raped or murdered.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Well, i don't gamble and have limited faith in my fellow man, I know to many people who have been burnt - although not in 2nd hand bike bits.

Wife's in Queensland for a week, got the motorbike in the lounge room, the lawn mower engine on the dinning table, my bicycle collection in various states of rebuilds in the study, been washing all the various bits of crap in the bathroom... when she gets back and I ask her to help me clean it all up, her killing me probably won't be irrational at all.

moorey

call me Mia
Well, i don't gamble and have limited faith in my fellow man, I know to many people who have been burnt - although not in 2nd hand bike bits.

Wife's in Queensland for a week, got the motorbike in the lounge room, the lawn mower engine on the dinning table, my bicycle collection in various states of rebuilds in the study, been washing all the various bits of crap in the bathroom... when she gets back and I ask her to help me clean it all up, her killing me probably won't be irrational at all.
I believe we share a wife and a secret "cats away, the mice will play" habit, lol. Shooda seen my living room recently while batching.
However if she discovered I used the Le Crueset to bake my contaminated brake pads......

moorey

call me Mia
Back on topic, I buy and sell SH bike and 4x4 shit like its going out of fashion, 95% interstate and unseen, and never been burned. The shoes WILL come, I'm sure, just the communication drought is frustrating.
Been burned once on eBay, but if I'd read sellers ratings and comments I cooda avoided that.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find I like to deal with people with lots of posts just because the communication is much better as you know they are here pretty much every day and are contactable. Further if they are posting they are more of a known character and someone else will know them.

FYI, people can do a fair bit of harm with your bank acc details, and it is a good idea not to publish it to people whom dont need it.

There are a lot of cases of people sell online and the process goes as follows:

selling XXXX item
buyer wants item and asks for bank account details
buyer wants it shipped overseas
money is confirmed in your bank account
you send item
1-2 weeks later your bank has frozen your account for fraudulent transactions. (the person whom has paid you has transferred money from an account they have stolen)

at the end of this you end up with no item and no money.

Personally I prefer to go meet them in person and look at the item..if its what I want then cash in hand..at least you can also suss out if its stolen goods as well. I'm not implying that Steve is an un trust worthy person, nor that these goods are stolen.. just wanting to add my $0.02 of advice..

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
Get him to pay into paypal, you only have to give him an email address. No realistic chance of being i.d raped via this method, although nothing is ever 100%secure pp is very good.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Get him to pay into paypal, you only have to give him an email address. No realistic chance of being i.d raped via this method, although nothing is ever 100%secure pp is very good.
To further it if you are using something like hotmail where it also creates a profile for your email just make a separate email for paypal and transactions, lock the thing down, use initials not names and make everything private with no information on it. That way even if they have a email address the email they have will be virtually unusable even if they manage to hack into it. Just do what you can to lock it down, I think you need to give a name though to create the account but as a display name you can have what ever you want.

Willem Petrovsky

Cannon Fodder
When you think about it, I had Zero posts, but I have used this forum a lot to buy items, remember that you cannot post or reply in the trades section until you have gained access to it. Thus, I still have to PM people to buy their items, just because of their Zero post count doesn't mean they are not a trustworthy buyer, but yes i agree one hundred percent on the whole Indonesia thing.