Sub 2kg 26" 100mm Frames...

nimmersatt

Likes Bikes
okay, serious weightweenie alert here. Looking at lightweight frames to build up a sub 10 kg XC racer. (26 fully, about 100mm travel)
Obviously there's other criteria in the selection process but as a technical exercise I'd like to see what's out there sub 2kg (including shock, excluding everything else)
Here's what I've got so far:

Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon (L) + Fox RP 23 = 1.86kg (claimed)
S-Works Epic 26 (L) + Specialized Brain = ??? (it looks insanely light but no weight published)
Focus FSL 1.0 + Rock Shox Monarch = 1.95kg (claimed)
Felt Edict Ltd + Rock Shox Monarch = 1.85kg (claimed, bit sceptical about this one)

Got any others, or can you confirm a weight? Let me know. Much appreciated...
cheers

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
You forgot what is probably the lightest

Cannondale Scalpel - 1560g, Large frame with rp23 shock

Last edited:

Shaman

Likes Dirt
Merida 96 or 99 Team with DT Swiss Shock. Not personally confirmed but supposed to be in the 1800-1900g weight range.

If by any chance you are after one feel free to PM me.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
A rocky mountain Element is 2.1kgs. Checking MTBR.com I found a XL with seat collar quoted at 2.17kgs

http://forums.mtbr.com/rocky-mountain/rm-element-frame-shock-weight-731309.html

Ross the owner of iRide Bikes has an element 120mm (frames the same as 100mm except for a longer linkage and slightly longer shock to get the extra travel) and his weighs 10.5kgs total if I remember correctly, it's equipped with XX, fox forks, and DT Swiss Tricon wheels running DD Racing Ralph tyres. So he could easily get sub 10kgs with a slight lighter wheel set, RS SID forks and Schwable EVO tyres

Hope that helps with an option

Quiggs

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Also check out the weight weenies website over at starbike website. A European site with many ppl with an unhealthy obsession of build stupid light bikes for some inspiration.

nskz

Likes Dirt
I just bought a Blur XC carbon the other week, 1920g with kashima RP23 and seat collar - Medium. Is the Scalpel 'real world' 1590g? That is insane...although the rear end on that thing looks road bike spec :eek:

nimmersatt

Likes Bikes
Blur XC

The blur is definitely the front runner at the moment. Especially since I recently saw one running 650Bs. Nice to know you've got that option too. And who knows, they might even change the dropouts for the 2013 model.
Might have to arrange for a test ride on the Merida though. Sweet looking bike....
And re the scalpel. Travel is only 80mm and not a fan of the zero pivot idea. Also this build will have a DT XRC 100 at the front and I think it's frowned upon to put anything but a leftie on a scalpel :)
Cheers...

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Also the yeti asr c is another good option, just over 2kgs inc shock but has the integrated seatpost which saves a bit, will build up well under 10kgs with a modest build

All said I would go the blur for sure, particularly if you are going custom build

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for the bmc, ive now ridden a fourstroke, speedfox and a trailfox and they all eclipse every other bike in their respective classes. I compared the Fourstroke back to back with a scott spark and it was easily better. I reckon it was better than the blur too.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

nimmersatt

Likes Bikes
This is getting interesting. I knew this was the right forum for this question.
You might have noticed that the spark was not on the list. That's because I recently got to try one for a full day (2011 model though) and it didn't really convince me. Could have been the setup but I found myself spending more time on the twinloc lever than anything else.
any shops in Sydney stock BMC?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is getting interesting. I knew this was the right forum for this question.
You might have noticed that the spark was not on the list. That's because I recently got to try one for a full day (2011 model though) and it didn't really convince me. Could have been the setup but I found myself spending more time on the twinloc lever than anything else.
any shops in Sydney stock BMC?
The shop I work for does bmc, there's limited availability off the top of my head. PM if you want to talk more.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

bh78

Likes Dirt
Santa cruz blur XC large

My 2010 is built to 9.9kgs without being silly.

Full XTR 10x2 trail including pedals
Magura mt8 brakes
Selle Italia slr tt sadle
Easton ec90 finishing kit
Fox 120mm RLC forks, rp23 shock
American classic race wheels with Scwalbe RR 2.25 tyres set tubeless with two scoops of stans

Great bike. Under 9kgs is possible, however, would ruin the ride. Crap maxxis 285gram tyres, dt Swiss flexy forks, eggbeaters and other stuff I don't want.

Remember you need to ride it!

nimmersatt

Likes Bikes
@bh78, you didn't say what frame :)
my current bike comes in about 9kg, however that's with a scott scale hardtail which is less than 1 kg. most parts will come across to the new build. one or two upgrades(cranks and gears) and theoretically I should be under 10.
btw, been riding the DT XRC 100 with a 9mm RWS thru bolt for the last 6 month and they've been great.

bh78

Likes Dirt
@bh78, you didn't say what frame :)
my current bike comes in about 9kg, however that's with a scott scale hardtail which is less than 1 kg. most parts will come across to the new build. one or two upgrades(cranks and gears) and theoretically I should be under 10.
btw, been riding the DT XRC 100 with a 9mm RWS thru bolt for the last 6 month and they've been great.

As per the title. SC blur xc size large. Glad the dt Swiss forks worked out for you.