Why do some people remove their shoes when going inside?

Remove your shoes at the door?

• Yes

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I never wear shoes

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

workmx

Banned
I have some Asian friends who always take off their shoes before entering their home.

I follow their lead - "when in Rome, ...".

I can see the benefits: less cleaning (and thus lower power bills), longer life for flooring..., there may be others.

What about you?

MasterOfReality

After forever
I do it cos my missus goes fukin apeshit when I don't :p

This usually happens just after she has mopped the floor (which was recently laid polished porcelain, so its a bitch to keep clean/streak free anyway).

I think its courtesy. We had to do it in my parents house too.

Hell, even tradies remove their boots when they come in.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have always, done it. The few times I have not done it I feel so weird and I hate moping tiles and steam cleaning carpet so its a no brainer for me.

For some unknown reasons all rentals seem to have light coloured carpets and tiles... WHY?

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I don't mind either way, as you say: "when in Rome"

but what do you do when you visit someone, their shoes are by the door, and your feet are rancid? Not that mine are, but i remember being young and not wearing socks for a time... feet can get pretty festy then.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One day you will wear 5.10's in on lino or tiles, and there will be black skid marks everywhere, and then you will realise how smart asians are.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I always take mine off and it feels totally weird to be allowed to wear shoes in someone else's home, almost to the point where I just can't do it. They then show you something awesome "out the back" and you have to walk outside in socks or bare feet and carry the crud back in. Bugger...........
My wife does the bulk of the cleaning at home (I maintain the dog and the outside of our home) so she assumes it is okay to come home from dance and walk inside with her fancy dance shoes on: "Woman, I don't care if the floor was clean at dance! Take your damn shoes off!". This alleviates the amount of whinging when she does clean the floor plus it gives me ammo if she says "Man, this floor is so filthy!". Upon hearing that comment I just sit back in my rocking chair outside rubbing my rifle with the hound pondering the same idea....................

We keep a clean and tidy house so any way of avoiding unnecessary crap on the floor is a bonus.

Gripo

Eats Squid
It's a constant battle at home, I love a clean floor under my feet.....i

I'm always amazed at people who don't remove their shoes inside.....you could have walk through all sorts of "shit" in those shoes.....

Pisses me right off.....shit the inlaws are coming to stay thisarvo they aren't shoe removers, grrrrrrrr

MasterOfReality

After forever
Pisses me right off.....shit the inlaws are coming to stay thisarvo they aren't shoe removers, grrrrrrrr
Get onto it. I don't know wtf goes through peoples heads when they go to someone elses place.

I had a relative from my wife's family come over. He removed his shoes but then sat on our brand new $6k leather lounge - and put his feet up and scratched it with his toenails. Khunt. What was funny about it was that the wife and I both ripped into him at exactly the same time.

He doesn't do it now :)

In fact I think he doesn't even want to step into our house again.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have small kids who spend a lot of time on the floor- outside shoes travel over all kinds of nasties from dog shit to petro chemical based crap- so why should i spread who knows what over my floors where it will go from my kids hands to their mouthes???

it is not just Asians, i spend a bit of time in Europe and many people have guest house shoes to use when you come in the door.

My wife is Austrian so she got me into the habit but it just makes sense. She goes a step further and outside clothes don't go on or in beds...

toodles

Wheel size expert
Unless specifically told to not worry about it, I'll take my shoes off. My place has polished timber floors and one little rock in the sole of a shoe makes a mess of them pretty quickly. I'd hate to be doing that to someone else's floor.

Asians, particularly Japanese, find it very disrespectful if you leave your shoes on.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Get onto it. I don't know wtf goes through peoples heads when they go to someone elses place.
Mmmm yes, the FI recently on a visit plopped down on our 12mth old couch and busted the webbing....no we all sit in his hole.....then drag the steel chairs across my restained deck in the house we were selling....while wearing his dirty shoes inside pre-inspection day...

gard, this is man who I had a lot of respect for.....the older he gets the less he gives a fuck?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
+1 for those who mentioned that you never know what you've walked in outside....i love being barefoot as much as possible so it's a no-brainer for me between what the local dogs are piddling on and my love of bare feet. socks inside are enough in winter.

i have no hesitation in asking people politely to remove their shoes before coming in. haven't had anyone refuse, yet....

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mind either way, as you say: "when in Rome"

but what do you do when you visit someone, their shoes are by the door, and your feet are rancid? Not that mine are, but i remember being young and not wearing socks for a time... feet can get pretty festy then.
If a guest has smelly feet problems, I think i would rather mop when they left .....

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I lived in japan for 3 years, my family picked up the habit there.

It just makes sense, its cleaner, more Comfortable, its nicer moving around the house. When ever i go to friends or family in the country they generally take their shoes off for cleanliness. In the city, most people i know leave their shoes on.. weird.

Granted, the japanese take it a little far. At most schools the kids will take their shoes off inside and wear slippers. And when we moved home, the removalists took their shoes off coming into our house and a guy dropped a couch on his foot.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk 2

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Spanner in works ... what if you had a guest with stinky feet ... or you had stinky feet ... what then ? I believe this is why many people leave their shoes on

*edit ... I reckon you need a "When in Rome" option

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
About half and half at home, not really in a rush to take clean shoes off but definitely don't wear my work boots in the house if theyre dirty. Also have the same idea with bed, generally don't wear outside clothes in bed. Love to keep my bed clean which is why i shower at night and not morning.

Didn't know there were people out there that would be a guest in someones house and leave their shoes on, unless everyone else is.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My parents place: shoes off every time!
Friend's places: I'll always ask.
My place: I rent so I don't care, and I could almost take my shoes off when I leave the house and return with cleaner feet that walking around barefoot in my place (especially the kitchen).

My old housemate (Chinese) used to take his shoes off at the front door, change into slippers, then he would change to a new pair of slippers at his bedroom door.