Save outlooks!

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Having just checked out a vid on Youtube (as I have NFI where the track actually is), I can't see a Bulldozer being much use in that area without major environmental damage occurring.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is it being knocked down? The petition doesn't tell us much.
I'm not in the know but I don't think it's ever been a legal trail, more so one that was known to exist and people in power have just turned a blind eye/let it exist.

For those people who have never seen/heard of outlook, check the links below to see the top half of the main track plus the large drop that's built to the side of the track that joins on part way down. Sorry, would only let me embed one of the links but make sure to check out both as they show different sections of the track. A serious amount of time and effort has been put into the track by some very dedicated builders which has produced some very impressive results. Definitely a one of a kind location with nothing else like it in at least south east Queensland. For anyone who reads [R]evo, it was featured a few issues back for the High Summer photo challenge so it's a well established venue within the mountain bike community.

[video=youtube;qpeuCjvRD9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpeuCjvRD9s[/video]

http://vimeo.com/28225440

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
You boys aren't mucking around are you? Scary to think that jumps are always a lot bigger in person than on video. What a sick spot!

Having just checked out a vid on Youtube (as I have NFI where the track actually is), I can't see a Bulldozer being much use in that area without major environmental damage occurring.
Liability is always a greater concern than environmental impact for councils. Plenty of tracks in QLD have been dozed with massive environmental impact. For the older SEQ DH'ers, they may remember a track called Dayboro. The council ploughed acres of land, including native vegetation, what grew back was lantana....

Please share the above link with as many as you can, we are currently well short of sufficient numbers to raise the councils attention.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I signed.
Gotta say though. Videos on the net with location names and showing buildings etc are a huge nail in the coffins to "blind eye" tracks.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Liability is always a greater concern than environmental impact for councils.
This is the NSW Legislation (refer to Div 4 & 5 in particular) ... however, I'm sure QLD & other states will have something very similar as most states tend to follow each other and this came about after Insurance industry pressure (from my understanding anyway).
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/cla2002161/

This piece of legislation has now been used by the Blue Mountains City Council and Sutherland Shire Council to justify that there are no legal impediments to approving MTB trails. note: although Knapsack has DH and Menai has wooden features its not to the same extent as what you seem to have. However, if I were you I'd argue its the same risk as a Skate Park or Beaches in big surf. With appropriate signage "its user beware"

Good luck with it

Outlook Karl.jpg
I signed.
Gotta say though. Videos on the net with location names and showing buildings etc are a huge nail in the coffins to "blind eye" tracks.
Thanks everyone! Keep those votes coming.

The Gold Coast City Council have been on a serious "illegal" track deconstruction mission for quite sometime now. We have lost several well established tracks in the area. You would think posting videos with locations and identifying structures would be an obvious no-go...however common sense is not very common these days. ;)

Last edited:

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
I'm not in the know but I don't think it's ever been a legal trail, more so one that was known to exist and people in power have just turned a blind eye/let it exist.

For those people who have never seen/heard of outlook, check the links below to see the top half of the main track plus the large drop that's built to the side of the track that joins on part way down. Sorry, would only let me embed one of the links but make sure to check out both as they show different sections of the track. A serious amount of time and effort has been put into the track by some very dedicated builders which has produced some very impressive results. Definitely a one of a kind location with nothing else like it in at least south east Queensland. For anyone who reads [R]evo, it was featured a few issues back for the High Summer photo challenge so it's a well established venue within the mountain bike community.

[video=youtube;qpeuCjvRD9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpeuCjvRD9s[/video]

http://vimeo.com/28225440
that is some seriously crazy stuff! :O

Freeo

Likes Bikes
Please sign the petition I love this place even my wife signed it and its not her favourite place as I spend to much time there

mikenz

Squid
If I was to post the link on my Facebook an get my mates to sign it would it be valid if the people that signed it were in new Zealand????

Faceit

Likes Bikes
Dam council, hows a bloke like me supposed to step up his game with no mental jumps to look up too, everyone needs to sign this the boys out there have put in years and years of work.