No 26" Giant Anthems/Trances for 2013?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Cant wait till the DH rigs are 29 only.
Roadie converts haven't got the balls to ride downhill. ;)

The trend for the mass produced bike ranges will be for the bulk sellers, which at the moment seems to be the 29ers, next year will probably be 650b, as the fashion aspect of the new is exploited. The 26er is not dead, but Giant/Specialized/Scott et al will concentrate on whatever has the potential to bring in the biggest biccies.

This leaves space for the intermediate size manufacturers to plug the gaps, and I don't forsee a point where you can't buy a 26" hardtail, just not one with Giant on the downtube.

I still maintain that my 26" steel hardtail is about as much fun as you can have with clothes on.
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head Rone. "The trend" and "fashion" are fairly powerful things when people consider buying a bike. Admittedly, I'll buy a product based on the quality of the build and the parts fitted and I may tend to stay with that brand for my next purchase if I've had good times with it.
What I can't stand is a person who is new to mountain biking who has just been sold a new bike with 29 inch wheels telling me that his bike is better and he will be quicker than me because of his wheel size. If that's the case then you're in it for the wrong reason champ! Start playing in traffic again.

I haven't liked much of what Giant has done over the last couple of years with their dual suspension range and if the no dually 26 inch wheel thing is true for 2013 then they'll lose a few Giant fan boys. God forbid...............

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Who cares what Giant are selling? They're shit anyway.

Most of their top XCO racers have been riding Carbon XTCs, even though they only existed for 1 or 2 model years about 5 years ago.

Giant make average bikes in all types and in all wheel sizes. The fact that they are dropping models is of no consequence, since there are many better, and better value brands out there these days.

Giant are a popular first MTB/rookie bike, because everyone has heard of giant, and while they are not great, they're not that shit either, and they tend to have well spec'd rear derailleurs, so my guess is that they're just trying to simplify options for clueless consumers at the showroom level. "I want an XC bike for $2000" has one option instead of three.

*ducks and hides*

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Most of their top XCO racers have been riding Carbon XTCs, even though they only existed for 1 or 2 model years about 5 years ago.

Giant make average bikes in all types and in all wheel sizes. The fact that they are dropping models is of no consequence, since there are many better, and better value brands out there these days.

Giant are a popular first MTB/rookie bike, because everyone has heard of giant, and while they are not great, they're not that shit either, and they tend to have well spec'd rear derailleurs, so my guess is that they're just trying to simplify options for clueless consumers at the showroom level. "I want an XC bike for $2000" has one option instead of three.

*ducks and hides*
them fightn words. :target:

setonz

Likes Dirt

*ducks and hides*
They're shit anyway or theyre not shit either...... make up your mind sunshine.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
them fightn words. :target:
Yep, often written by the 121st place getter trying to look super cool leaning up against his marine yeti/ black pivot, orange tallboy, white intense, and exclaiming how he cant see any giants around - they must be behind him! (the truth of course, is the top 20% of the field has pissed off, had a shower, and now drinking beer while the ultra cool are still slogging it out ;)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I still maintain that my 26" steel hardtail is about as much fun as you can have with clothes on.
Agreed. But you still need other bikes.I heard no Giant 26" wheeled bikes coming in(guessing they forgot about the Glory).
Trek also seem to be pushing it.
It'll only be for a year, maybe two, then they'll all be selling 650b wheels, well I hope so.

Knut

Troll hunter
The fad will die off, no stress. Mountain bikers want to ride for fun. As far as those who ride for the self promotion of their own image, they dont stay around long enough to care about anyways. Interesting how people still call 26 fast and 29 comfortable after all of the banter.Not phased either way, as long as we are riding.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
The fad will die off, no stress. Mountain bikers want to ride for fun. As far as those who ride for the self promotion of their own image, they dont stay around long enough to care about anyways. Interesting how people still call 26 fast and 29 comfortable after all of the banter.Not phased either way, as long as we are riding.
I'd say the reserve in many situations I've found myself in the 29er is faster and the 26 more comfortable but I wholly agree with the statement as long as we are riding.

I'll keep both in my stable for now becuase really its just horses for courses. I cant see myself ever moving the Anthem on to be replace with the 29er version its just not as much fun. Since when did anyone think Mountain biking was for fitness or competition I've been riding MTB's for 20 years and I've never considered it exercise its riding for the love.

But thanks Giant for knee capping a market.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
They're shit anyway or theyre not shit either...... make up your mind sunshine.
Glad i wasn't the only one confused by that post :crazy:

Wonder what "many better and better value" brands he suggests?

But thanks Giant for knee capping a market.
Thats pretty much what we thought aswell....

And like others have said, i guess its just another way to sell more bikes each year with different models/marketing and people "thinking" they need the latest.... im sure 650B will be next...

willsy01

Eats Squid

*ducks and hides*
Lol......its always only a matter of time before some ignorant soul comes along with the obligatory "Giants are shit" post. Go back to being a poser on your [insertboutiquebrandhere] sunshine.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
FWIW, i reckon this is purely cost driven.

Marketing say we need 70% 29ers and 30% 26ers. production end back an email, saying if we only offered 26ers what number of sales will we lose per 100,000 units? Marketing come back with say 10,000 units less sales.

Production then say there is no profit in the net 10,000 units, so switching to 29ers only will give you x price and maximise profit.

Marketing then goes about promoting the decision as better product, and that now 29ers are suitable for those of lesser height and reach, including ladies, because of some whiz bang design achievement - no doubt their super duper headsize has enabled even less gain in hand height........... ;)

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon Giants are a good bike but if i could afford a bike that did the same as a cheap one i would grab the following: 2Souls Cycles Quarterhorse

I gurantee 100% my riding ability will be just as good if it is a Giant though but it would be good to be rich :)

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
We picked it up today, got home and took it straight out to the local. Wifey is stoked, really glad she went the 26" Anthem x advanced.... she said can't beleive how well it climbs compared to her old bike.... took 5 min of her previous PB for the normal 1:40min odd loop we do :faint2: I'm in trouble now....

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We picked it up today, got home and took it straight out to the local. Wifey is stoked, really glad she went the 26" Anthem x advanced.... she said can't beleive how well it climbs compared to her old bike.... took 5 min of her previous PB for the normal 1:40min odd loop we do :faint2: I'm in trouble now....
Awesome:thumb::thumb::thumb:

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
substance.

the essence of mountain biking is truly being lost...these are key indicators that we as a mountain bike community is being "dictatored" too...way too much focus on sale proper gander...if the shop only has 29er's to sell then you have no choice!...i've owned and ridden for some time a 29er and it does not suit me and never will...but i understand why others ride them.:tape2:

i don't care what you ride...just stay the hell out of my way.

ps ..i'm sure in a couple of years 26ers will make a 'come back'...for a technology/sales expolsion!

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I think a lot of people have bought a 29er to add to their stable. Ofcourse 29ers are going to be more popular sales wise when everyone already owns a 26" and add to that, new people to the mtb scene can be easily swayed towards a 29er as its the latest and greatest.
It will balance out in the next few years. Do we really need a new model every year anyway?