No 26" Giant Anthems/Trances for 2013?

Marx

Likes Dirt
Giant can change their mind from year to year.
No worries on the lack of 26ers for 2013, I think there will still be options.
Perhaps I’m not doing it right, but 29ers don’t seem to work with me as well as 26ers.
Lets have a “26er” sub-category then.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
While there's no 26" Giant XC bikes yet I reckon there will be a few for 2013.

I'm willing to bet that Giant are making sure they can compete with Specialized's "Early Launch" models: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/earlylaunch ... all the performance XC models put out under this announcement are 29ers.

So Giant are putting out a couple of their 2013 29er models to match, which they can do because they were already ahead of schedule - EG the 2013 Anthem X 29er was shown off at the Sea Otter way back in April. In a couple of months Giant will put out the full release of 2013 bikes as they do every year - and then we'll see 26" XC models.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
While there's no 26" Giant XC bikes yet I reckon there will be a few for 2013.

I'm willing to bet that Giant are making sure they can compete with Specialized's "Early Launch" models: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/earlylaunch ... all the performance XC models put out under this announcement are 29ers.

So Giant are putting out a couple of their 2013 29er models to match, which they can do because they were already ahead of schedule - EG the 2013 Anthem X 29er was shown off at the Sea Otter way back in April. In a couple of months Giant will put out the full release of 2013 bikes as they do every year - and then we'll see 26" XC models.
And if you're wrong can we point and laugh at you?

Capone

Likes Dirt
I asked this question at the LBS and they confirmed no 26in short travel bikes for 2013. Giant is pinning their hopes on the carbon anthem 29er and the soon to be released Trance 29er which they claim will change the game

Thank god i got a new anthem this year and wont have to sell out for a few more years

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
probably Giant is waiting out the year maybe to bring BB30 into the mix with a few other little advances in XC tech, lighter/stronger carbon.

Hopefully they are doing this to bring us a very good bike!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
probably Giant is waiting out the year maybe to bring BB30 into the mix with a few other little advances in XC tech, lighter/stronger carbon.

Hopefully they are doing this to bring us a very good bike!
Unfortunately, they bring out carbon frames because us the consumer is prepared to pay more for carbon than anything like the cost of the stuff - the more they upsell the more profit they make both gross and in % terms.

Changing bikes every year is done for much the same reason, and the cost of changing a model of bike is almost nil compared to most other products - eg change the paint, change a couple of components, and away you go. the components are all bolt on, and readily available

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately, they bring out carbon frames because us the consumer is prepared to pay more for carbon than anything like the cost of the stuff - the more they upsell the more profit they make both gross and in % terms.

Changing bikes every year is done for much the same reason, and the cost of changing a model of bike is almost nil compared to most other products - eg change the paint, change a couple of components, and away you go. the components are all bolt on, and readily available
this is what I was kinda talking about
[video=youtube;mSpx-nPhE-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSpx-nPhE-Q&feature=b-vrec[/video]

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
Giant are a popular first MTB/rookie bike,
Every time I see/hear this, it cracks me up.....What makes an Anthem or a Trance or any bike a rookie bike? .....Price tag?
Does that make a Kmart or Aldi bike spec'd with all XTR an elite racers bike?

Sounds like the same "Roadie disguised as Mtb'er" marketing guff that is trying to convince us we should give up our 26'ers.

itrance05

Likes Dirt
sad to say that after riding giant for 5 years i'm ditching them for specialized,i really think giant has missed the mark this year with their mtb range,after riding the xtc carbon 29er ($3000rrp)this year and what they have for 2013 i think they have gone backwards for that same model and the next model up at rrp $4000 is the 2012 basically with the new frame

Bodin

GMBC
Bucking the trend...

I've ridden Specialized (Stumpjumper) and Giant (XTC & Anthem) 29ers for the last 3-4 years and not even owned a 26er for the last 2 years. But... the last time I had any fun on a bike was a year ago in Seattle riding a borrowed 26" Felt Virtue for a couple of weeks. After failing to recapture that fun factor in the year that has passed since Seattle, I've now sold my 29ers and gone out and bought a 26" Trek Fuel EX. Sure, the XTC was super quick for 100km races and the Anthem was an amazing go-anywhere plough, but it all just felt like "work".

The Trek is NOT a "faster" bike and I'll kick myself next time I want to race, but I'm old and shit now, so fun factor is more important to me than numbers on a clock and 29ers can take a back seat while I get loose on the new kiddie wheels and watch how the 650 rider experience develops - they were, I think, the original MTB wheel size (read up on Marin County and the Repack races if you don't know what I'm talking about...).

FWIW, nobody should be surprised by Giant's decision, even if you don't like it - 29ers do have great qualities and I'm one of those people who is faster across 90% of race tracks when I'm on wagon wheels. So when there have been so many old-time racer-boys with "disposable wealth" (read: "massive credit card debts") like me saying that 29ers made them faster over the last couple of years (particularly in the US), the bike companies have had no choice but to go where the money is.

BUT... I really hope the 26" XC/Trailbike market doesn't completely die - I think Giant have produced some incredibly dialled, great-value bikes in this range over the last 5 years and it's sorta sad to see them made completely redundant by something that's not necessarily a better bike in every way. In the same way that a BMX is epic fun in an urban environment, 26" trail bikes are epic fun on loose, twisty trails in a way that 29ers will never be.

Just my opinion, but I've put my money where my mouth is, so good luck with whatever suits you. Look out for a Trek Fuel EX8 write up in Post Your Ride at some point this weekend. I'll be the first to laugh at myself if I find myself hating the 26" wheels and wanting my Anthem back...

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Not owning a 29er, i must say that i am hearing alot of people suggesting -as you are Bodin- that most of the current crop of 29er's just are not as much fun as a 26er. Looking over the internet at upcoming 2013 29er's however, i get the impression that they may well be beginning to close the gap in the fun stakes. Press releases stating shorter chainstays, slacker head angles and shorter stems as stock promising "26er like handling" may just be one more nail in the coffin for 26er's. I for one hope not!

Bodin

GMBC
Not owning a 29er, i must say that i am hearing alot of people suggesting -as you are Bodin- that most of the current crop of 29er's just are not as much fun as a 26er. Looking over the internet at upcoming 2013 29er's however, i get the impression that they may well be beginning to close the gap in the fun stakes. Press releases stating shorter chainstays, slacker head angles and shorter stems as stock promising "26er like handling" may just be one more nail in the coffin for 26er's. I for one hope not!
The axle of each wheel is still an inch-and-a-half further off the ground, regardless of where you put the bottom bracket or how short you make the chainstays.

I think this factor has an irreversibly negative impact on my ability to corner, so after 3-4 years of trying different things, I'm just jack of it and going back to a wheelsize I know I can ride with confidence.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly, it's nice to see your post after such an absence. :)

Secondly, I've gone back to a 26" dually for the same reasons you did. No question at all about the benefits of the 29er as a cross country weapon. My decision to sell my 29er dually was based solely on what I enjoy riding.

I've ridden Specialized (Stumpjumper) and Giant (XTC & Anthem) 29ers for the last 3-4 years and not even owned a 26er for the last 2 years. But... the last time I had any fun on a bike was a year ago in Seattle riding a borrowed 26" Felt Virtue for a couple of weeks. After failing to recapture that fun factor in the year that has passed since Seattle, I've now sold my 29ers and gone out and bought a 26" Trek Fuel EX. Sure, the XTC was super quick for 100km races and the Anthem was an amazing go-anywhere plough, but it all just felt like "work".

The Trek is NOT a "faster" bike and I'll kick myself next time I want to race, but I'm old and shit now, so fun factor is more important to me than numbers on a clock and 29ers can take a back seat while I get loose on the new kiddie wheels and watch how the 650 rider experience develops - they were, I think, the original MTB wheel size (read up on Marin County and the Repack races if you don't know what I'm talking about...).

FWIW, nobody should be surprised by Giant's decision, even if you don't like it - 29ers do have great qualities and I'm one of those people who is faster across 90% of race tracks when I'm on wagon wheels. So when there have been so many old-time racer-boys with "disposable wealth" (read: "massive credit card debts") like me saying that 29ers made them faster over the last couple of years (particularly in the US), the bike companies have had no choice but to go where the money is.

BUT... I really hope the 26" XC/Trailbike market doesn't completely die - I think Giant have produced some incredibly dialled, great-value bikes in this range over the last 5 years and it's sorta sad to see them made completely redundant by something that's not necessarily a better bike in every way. In the same way that a BMX is epic fun in an urban environment, 26" trail bikes are epic fun on loose, twisty trails in a way that 29ers will never be.

Just my opinion, but I've put my money where my mouth is, so good luck with whatever suits you. Look out for a Trek Fuel EX8 write up in Post Your Ride at some point this weekend. I'll be the first to laugh at myself if I find myself hating the 26" wheels and wanting my Anthem back...

Bodin

GMBC

Secondly, I've gone back to a 26" dually for the same reasons you did. No question at all about the benefits of the 29er as a cross country weapon. My decision to sell my 29er dually was based solely on what I enjoy riding.
Thanks mate - glad to see you're still around yourself. Do you see the funny side of 2 of the original loiterers (dare I say it... "fan boys") in the 29er sub-forum mentioning how we've gone back to 26ers in this thread?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate - glad to see you're still around yourself. Do you see the funny side of 2 of the original loiterers (dare I say it... "fan boys") in the 29er sub-forum mentioning how we've gone back to 26ers in this thread?
The irony is... delicious!* It's a shame that Giant is no longer offering the 26" AnthemX. It was one of the best "bang for your buck" XC racers in the world imho.

I'm really pissed off that Specialized is no longer selling the 26" S-Works Epic in Oz. I'm loving my 2011, and will hold on to it for as long as I can.

I can see both of us on 650 duallies with 4" of travel in 2013 enjoying the best (or worst) of both worlds. :)

P.S: I'm really impresed with what Trek is doing these days, enjoy your beast.

* Registered trademark of Bruce Macavaney

fergo

Likes Dirt

I was just wondering if you and Bodin like the 26" again because its different to what you normally ride. I dont have a giant or 29"er but went from my 5" dually to my hardtail after a long break and loved it. It was like riding a new bike. The lines I took on the dually were even more fun on the hardtail.

I wouldn't like to be on the hardtail for everything and prefer my dually as weapon of choice, but for a bit of fun and being different, I ride the HT.

Thoughts???