DH Frankenbike (Glory with Dorados!)

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
The Frankenbike, made from bits salvaged from 2 man-caves. What a beast!

Frame - 2010 Giant Glory (L)
Rear shock -Fox RC4 450lb spring
Front shock/fork - 2010 Manitou Dorado Pro
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbars cut to 760
Stem - Funn RSX
Headset -FSA
Grips -ODI Ruffian Lock-On
Saddle - Selle Italia
Seatpost - Thompson Elite
Front brake -Shimano XT
Rear brake -Shimano XT
Brake Rotors- Avid G2 203mm (Will be Shimano Ice-Tech as of tomorrow)
Cranks - Truvativ Decendant 170mm
Chainguide - E-13 LG-1
Chain - Rohloff
Pedals - Shimano M424 SPD
Rear derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear shifter - SRAM X9
Cassette - SRAM PG970 DH
Front hub - Sun Ringle
Rear hub -Sun Ringle
Front rim - Alex FR32 (White)
Rear rim -Alex FR32 (White)
Spokes - Sapim Race (Silver)
Tyres -(front) Minion DH-F super tacky 2.5, (rear) Minion DH-F 3C 2.5
Tubes - WTB
Total weight - ??? haven't put it on the scales yet, she's not light!

Full ride report to come

Attachments

Last edited:

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Spec update, new pics, and ride report

Took the beast out for her first outing last weekend, first time riding Holy Trail, Thirroul and Forbidden. Firstly, those are some unreal trails, they make all the northern beaches stuff seem flat in comparison! Big ups to the locals for showing me an awesome day out.

First issue I had was that I didn't check the reach adjust on the brakes before my first run, last person to run these brakes had the leavers wound all the way out. Consequently had a much quicker first run than anticipated. Apart from that I felt completely at home on the bike, which is not nearly as eager to buck as my previous bike, the aptly named Boot'r. This bike just inspires confidence: I was rolling into some chutes that I didn't think it was possible to make it through, which on one occasion was actually the case! But that was definitely more rider than bike. Due to my mates rear shock dropping its guts he ended up doing a few runs on the Glory and he had pretty much exactly the same things to say, everyone seems to feel at home on this bike.

Now enough of the boring shit and on to the real question: the Dorado's! Yes, they have more flex than Fox 40's; no they're not as light as Boxxer WC's, but at 2973g they're not as heavy as say BOS Idylle's. And let me say that not much can come close in terms of feel, they are by far the plushest fork I have ever ridden. On obligatory car park testing they don't feel anything particularly special, but once you point them down the trail they grip like no-ones business. These bad boys eat rock gardens for breakfast, that said, the only time I noticed noticed any flex in these forks was trying to correct my line mid plough. I know, never a great idea but sometimes it needs to be done.

The only things on the bike that I had to change ASAP were the shitty Code brakes (no matter how much I fiddled they always felt like poo), and the Minion DH-R, yes it's faster rolling than the F but for me consistent feel and all-out grip are more important.

Thanks for reading Guys and Gals, if it sounds like I'm talking out my arse it's most probably because I am. I'm pretty new to this whole DH thing but wanted to give my two cents worth anyway, Cheers guys

driftking

Wheel size expert
Nice bike, I love my codes, that sucks you are one of the ones who cant get them to work...a few people have that issue with avid...

How were the dorados during cornering, did you do much highspeed or shape hard cornering? I ask because USD forks do really well in the rock gardens and straight but when it comes to cornering and side forces that promote torsional movement most lack stiffness.
I know dorado have done the best job and got the fork to work were others haven't but I'm curious to see how they still compared to a non USD like 40 or boxxer in the fast sharp and highspeed corners that produces a lot of sideways force?
Also are you running a angle set? Most if not all glory owners have said getting the HA out to 64 really opens the bikes strengths up....

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Before getting rid of your codes try giving them a real good bleed. Couldn't tell if you had tried that from your post. I've found avids are hard to get right due to the bleed being difficult, but if it's done properly there shouldn't be any problems.

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
High speed cornering is one of my week points so haven't really done too much of it. Going out for a ride tomorrow so I'll see how they hold up then. Sharp corners have proved to be no issue yet. As for the avids, my last bike had 2011 Code R brakes and I loved them. These ones are the older ones and just didn't compare, I had the XT's lying around so I just put them on till I decide what I want long term. Angle set is not installed yet but will be on the cards soon, the frame is actually a bit too long for me so I'm a little worried that raking it out much more will result in some front end wash outs. Bear in mind that the Dorado's are actually longer axle to crown than other forks and as such have already slackened it out.

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Before getting rid of your codes try giving them a real good bleed. Couldn't tell if you had tried that from your post. I've found avids are hard to get right due to the bleed being difficult, but if it's done properly there shouldn't be any problems.
I will definitely give bleeding them ago, they just had this feeling of all or nothing and just some horrible scraping noises in between :-(

driftking

Wheel size expert
Ah yeah I'm currently using the code R I haven't tried the older model, I believe that was the model that lacked modulation which would be accurate to what you are feeling, before 2011 was when we were seeing people pairing the code calipers with elixir levers to get more modulation, the 2011 codes fixed this issue.

Still give them a bleed like you said and see how you go, but given the history with them, most people where ditching them and just using the 4 pot caliper on elixir system.

If its a little big maybe the angle set might be too much offset but might be worth a test if you have the money and find the bike needs even more improvement, glories don't have overly large wheelbase though so it should be fine, the biggest problem is the frame TT been too big.

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Angle set might need to wait for a little while, budget is starting to get pretty stretched. And besides, I was thinking of spending my money on some thing much more useful like getting it powder coated. :decision:

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Angle set might need to wait for a little while, budget is starting to get pretty stretched. And besides, I was thinking of spending my money on some thing much more useful like getting it powder coated. :decision:
I saw a scheme in Wollongong recently that would suit you perfectly....

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Thanks for reading Guys and Gals, if it sounds like I'm talking out my arse it's most probably because I am. I'm pretty new to this whole DH thing but wanted to give my two cents worth anyway, Cheers guys"

For that comment, you have my respect!

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
"Thanks for reading Guys and Gals, if it sounds like I'm talking out my arse it's most probably because I am. I'm pretty new to this whole DH thing but wanted to give my two cents worth anyway, Cheers guys"

For that comment, you have my respect!
Thanks mate, I find that a little self awareness goes along way in a world filled with self indulgent wankers. :tongue: