Muscle Recovery

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
So I had my 40th a few months back and one of the things I have noticed is my recovery time between hard rides is a lot slower.

Basically taking 4-5+ days to recover from hard rides. Basically sore muscles.

Did a 6 hour enduro (solo) on sunday and still performance impaired(thur).
Went for a flat easy road ride yesterday and really noticed it.

Any tricks to improve this recovery time?

I have a healthy diet. Lots of leaf and vegetables, First few days I increased my red meat intake for both protein and amino acids.

Lots of water,

What else should I try?

Update
I am taking Protein / whey (2 x 2 scoops/day) after big rides for a few days and muscle eaze (1 tbsp/day)
Nothing else!

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
So I had my 40th a few months back and one of the things I have noticed is my recovery time between hard rides is a lot slower.

Basically taking 4-5+ days to recover from hard rides. Basically sore muscles.

Did a 6 hour enduro (solo) on sunday and still performance impaired(thur).
Went for a flat easy road ride yesterday and really noticed it.

Any tricks to improve this recovery time?

I have a healthy diet. Lots of leaf and vegetables, First few days I increased my red meat intake for both protein and amino acids.

Lots of water,

What else should I try?
Are you taking any supplements? I take Whey protein straight after gym/riding and always makes me feel better - helps muscles recover.

Currently I am looking for fast recovery too and also found Beta-alanine....

Beta alanine is an amino acid that is found naturally in the body. It is essential for the efficient working of muscles, as it reduces the acidity of muscles during and after exercise. It is not involved in the production of protein in the body. Beta alanine is used frequently by athletes to increase strength and endurance, improve energy and to reduce and delay muscle fatigue.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
stretch stretch stretch
and magnesium helps relieve DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
also when you finish your ride dont just stop, just go find somewhere flat and gently go and spin your legs out for 5 or 10 mins, gentle gentle, just nice slow pace where you hardly have to exert yourself, it will flush out any leftover/excess lactic acid
you see pro athletes doing this, eg swimmers after a race will go and swim slow gentle laps to flush out lactic acid, and pro cyclists get on the spin bike/trainer/whatever its called and just turn the legs over gently

0psi

Eats Squid
Choccy milk right after a ride. No shit, works.

Try grabbing a foam roller or the Trigger Point Therapy equivalent and using that a few times a week.

Putting your legs up immediately after a ride helps too, like right up. Lie on the floor with your butt against the wall and your legs straight up so all the blood drains out of your legs, about 10mins give or take. Idea is that blood pools in your legs along with all the other nasties like lactic acid. If you drain (for lack of a better word) the lactic rich blood out of your legs and replace it with, erm, fresh(?) blood you'll recover quicker. Pretty shite explanation but you get the idea.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
^that's all good advice from 0psi. Chocolate milk is generally as good as a protein shake. Not sure exactly why the raised legs thing works, but it feels great afterwards. Foam roller or equivalent is awesome.

Beta alanine looks beneficial, but from a cost:benefit perspective I'd go with BCAAs instead.

0psi

Eats Squid
Beta alanine looks beneficial, but from a cost:benefit perspective I'd go with BCAAs instead.
If you a taking a protein shake there's often no need for it as there'll be a decent BCAA mix in there already. I'm currently on the Blackmores protein powder which has a pretty good BCAA profile as it is. Pays to read the back of the pack as I was still putting my BCAA mix in there for a while and chances are I was just pissing it away as there's only so much your body will take on.
These days I just top it up with a little creatine (no idea why but I swear it helps recovery) and Carnitine but that's only because I'm trying to strip that last bit of fat off.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a 6hr + race a recovery ride the next day is esential for me, esecially after a solo 24, just a real easy spin 40-60mins.
Recovery drink with some protien straight after race/ ride.
Vit. C and E for antiox
foam roller
If my muscles are REALLY sore after a race i will take a few Iboprufen which lets them relax much quicker.

I am always surprised how quickly i spring back after a long race, i think maybe my body could go harder if only the mind would let it....

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Putting your legs up immediately after a ride helps too, like right up. Lie on the floor with your butt against the wall and your legs straight up so all the blood drains out of your legs, about 10mins give or take. Idea is that blood pools in your legs along with all the other nasties like lactic acid. If you drain (for lack of a better word) the lactic rich blood out of your legs and replace it with, erm, fresh(?) blood you'll recover quicker. Pretty shite explanation but you get the idea.
Same thing for rock climbing but in climbing you can do it mid climb. Lactic acids are helped out and you can further aid this with a shake or gentle activation of muscles.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
protein - an important part of this is the timing - within 30 min of race end - thats why the protein shakes are so popular - they are easy to get on board early after the race - you only need 20g or so of protein straight after - beneficial with 40g or so of carbohydrate as well.

magnesium - has evidence for helping, take a tab before race and after, then once daily for a few days

electrolytes generally need to be replaced (assume you use sport drinks so this shouldnt be the cause)

Light riding - .75 of your LT, 45min - do not push or go on group rides for a few days after

Finally - nothing at all wrong with a week rest - i did the capital then convict this year, did a ride on the wednesday between and that was it - felt so good for the convict it wasnt funny -reckoned i could have done 45min faster if i'd tried

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over 30 your body no longer produces testosterone and your recovery time goes through the roof, It is a week rather than days like when you were young. Unless you go to thailand.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
If you a taking a protein shake there's often no need for it as there'll be a decent BCAA mix in there already. I'm currently on the Blackmores protein powder which has a pretty good BCAA profile as it is. Pays to read the back of the pack as I was still putting my BCAA mix in there for a while and chances are I was just pissing it away as there's only so much your body will take on.
These days I just top it up with a little creatine (no idea why but I swear it helps recovery) and Carnitine but that's only because I'm trying to strip that last bit of fat off.
Free-form BCAA impacts slightly differently to those in a protein powder or food. Can't remember the reason or mechanism, but i can look it up if you're interested.

Agree on creatine, it's also got some scientific support. Doesn't seem to work for everyone for some reason though. I use it, along with some BCAA and carbohydrate straight after exercise. I follow it up about 20 - 30 mins later with some whole food protein and carbs.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Over 30 your body no longer produces testosterone and your recovery time goes through the roof, It is a week rather than days like when you were young. Unless you go to thailand.
I'm pretty sure we are still producing testosterone, albeit in lesser amounts. Interactions with females can boost testosterone levels, so if what you say is correct about testosterone aiding recovery that's a good argument to have wifey climb aboard, while your legs are raised, having a protein shake
:eyebrows:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL wilddemon

Aspirin reduces the amount of cellular damage that causes DOMS and if you are not allergic makes sense after exercise (not while dehydrated) and the next day. Also if you can do it, alternate ice baths and hot water as per the pro footy players.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty sure we are still producing testosterone, albeit in lesser amounts. Interactions with females can boost testosterone levels, so if what you say is correct about testosterone aiding recovery that's a good argument to have wifey climb aboard, while your legs are raised, having a protein shake
:eyebrows:
Ill get her some climbing shoes haha

Riedy

Likes Dirt
Doing stretches on all of sore muscle groups and lots of water mixed with a sports drink poweraide/gatoraide etc...

driftking

Wheel size expert
^that's all good advice from 0psi. Chocolate milk is generally as good as a protein shake. Not sure exactly why the raised legs thing works, but it feels great afterwards. Foam roller or equivalent is awesome.

it would also help blood pooling, obviously we should cool down enough o help the body slowly come back to a homeostatic point but the leg raising id assume is a way to help shift the lactate and reduce fluid retention in those areas?

Foam rollers oh man, get one of those, I first used one in a Pilates class and i can tell you if you think your not tight or your flexible this thing will make you think otherwise, they destroy you but work so well.

You can use things like hydrotherapy too hot cold baths etc
Do you do any recovery rides the next day? these are really good to help shift any residual crap and get the blood flowing a little and increase recovery.
Diet the the obvious, remember diet cant just be post and pre workout it is really 24/7 job if you want to maximize on your bodies ability to recover, focus on eating and fluid building 3 days before a big race, you want to make sure your stores are nice and full, a eating a fluid strategy during rides will help too. Then after you want to get in some good quick carbs and protein, A ratio between 3:1 and 4:1 is ideall. so 20g protein 80grams carbs ( I like to have more protein by studies do suggest 20grams is enough post workout). After the workout its fine to dump those simple carb's down for refueling but make sure you try eat a good meal of complex carbs and complete proteins along with plenty of fruits and vegi's 1-2 hours after you finish. This will give you sustained energy for your recovery, try to keep eating regularly every 3-4 hours of a well rounded meal, this will help keep your body in a anabolic state. before bed lay off carbs but have some fat and protein, this will maximize GH peak (builds muscle and burns fat) insulin suppresses GH. The fat and protein will help provide your body with some slow digesting carbs and protein to try remain anabolic.
Consider types of protein, whey immediately after but casein before bed.

So summary comes down to a good build up before an event, a good over all diet and a good recovery method.
healthy diet
meal timing (including types so whey casein, complex simple carbs)
meal and fluid during events
loading before events
stretching, enough cool down, massages, hydrotherapy, Foam roller, recovery rides.

Hydrotherapy is used a lot but make sure you medically can do them there are concerns with going from hot to cold temperatures some which can result in death. of course so can riding your bike every day but it is important to point it out before you go jump into a ice bath and boiling shower.

As I understand testosterone majorly declines at the age of 40 not 30. it does slowing decline as we get older but it isn't that significant compared to when you hit the big 40. Though yes it will still take some time for you to recover. There are foods that help inhibit estrogen and boost testosterone too if you are that desperate to try boost your levels.

Last edited:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
LOL wilddemon

Aspirin reduces the amount of cellular damage that causes DOMS and if you are not allergic makes sense after exercise (not while dehydrated) and the next day. Also if you can do it, alternate ice baths and hot water as per the pro footy players.
I hadn't heard about asprin reducing cellular damage. I did hear that it thins the blood and allows it to move faster / more easily thus improving the oxygen levels at the muscle, as well as improved travel in the smallest capillaries which improves heat loss and oxygen transfer.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I hadn't heard about asprin reducing cellular damage. I did hear that it thins the blood and allows it to move faster / more easily thus improving the oxygen levels at the muscle, as well as improved travel in the smallest capillaries which improves heat loss and oxygen transfer.
Me neither, and a search hasnt brought up any evidence for me that it has any benefits in sport - lots of this stuff gets tested, and whjile caffeine for instance provides measureable benefits, aspirin seems not to - bit of improvement in comfort but not recovery -post exercise, no benefit during

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
LOL wilddemon

Hot cold therapy is awesome. Icy bath tub then steaming spa back and forth. Feel the tingling and next day your good to go.

Time to weigh in on this...

Disclaimer: Olympic medallist (so just repeating what I do/ have been told)

The suggestions above are all quite good (apart from aspriin, it is a feel good rather than recovery enhancer, but this was stated above too).

Chocolate milk: perfect balance of protein carb fat (reccomended by AIS nutrition).
Milk has more electrolytes than gatorade

Sticking legs in air is really good for recovery post travelling (long times in car/plane), and after hard sessions. As mentioned it is to combat blood pooling in extremities. Same theory as the compression clothing.

The hot cold debate always rages on. Current studies show POST SESSION the biggest benefit is dropping core temperature to kickstart recovery, so only bother with hot if you can't stand doing the cold straight up. Roughly 5-10min in 15degree water is good. Any colder than 12 does not give any extra benefit... dont try being a hero jumping into the arctic!

My suggestion:
Active recovery while refuelling and then cold therapy are the main things to worry about.

CHEAPSKATE RECOVERY
Foam roaller: bloody good for working out tension. My suggestion as a cheap alternative is a short section of PVC pipe -get an offcut from bunnings
Cheap protein powder: skim milk powder and milo
Cheap gatorade: cordial with salt