Halotherapy

0psi

Eats Squid
Not the kind where you shoot aliens on Xbox but the kind where you sit in a room full of salt.

Anyone tried this? I'm curious as one of the supposed benefits is reduced mucus and I get a seriously runny nose when riding. I'm not really one for new age healing and stuff but rapid fire snot rockets are getting old. Apparently you need to do 6 or so sessions before seeing any real benefits and I'm wondering if this is true of just their way of getting more money out of you before you realise it's bogus.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Not the kind where you shoot aliens on Xbox but the kind where you sit in a room full of salt.

Anyone tried this? I'm curious as one of the supposed benefits is reduced mucus and I get a seriously runny nose when riding. I'm not really one for new age healing and stuff but rapid fire snot rockets are getting old. Apparently you need to do 6 or so sessions before seeing any real benefits and I'm wondering if this is true of just their way of getting more money out of you before you realise it's bogus.
Runny nose could also be a result of teary eye's, Tear can discharge through the eye into the nasal passage.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
haven't tried it - that sort of "therapy" always sounds bogus to me.

mucus is your body's own mechanism for dealing with irritants, whether it's from dust, pollen, or dietary factors such as low tolerance for wheat/dairy etc. i struggle with snot on cold nights especially, seems as soon as the gate drops my nose starts running.

moorey

call me Mia
With that theory I should live to 108.

Acupuncture works wonders for me.

If you do go get it done, I would be keen to hear the results.
If acupuncture works for you, I am sure that halotherapy will also...along with homeopathy, pedomancy and tea leaf reading:eyebrows:

I'd be warey, not of dangers, but of paying for something that is ineffectual. I aren't aware of any genuine scientifically proven benefits, however, i am sure there is plenty of anecdotaland testimonial 'evidence' to be found on the websites of the people running these...

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah them fungi microbes, germs and all that should acctually live in your lungs lol... Get it done, let us know how you feel.

shakes

Likes Dirt
If acupuncture works for you, I am sure that halotherapy will also...along with homeopathy, pedomancy and tea leaf reading:eyebrows:

I'd be warey, not of dangers, but of paying for something that is ineffectual. I aren't aware of any genuine scientifically proven benefits, however, i am sure there is plenty of anecdotaland testimonial 'evidence' to be found on the websites of the people running these...
Over 15years of debilitating Hayfever - Many many many chemicals, and poked and prodded, couple of different surgery's. All that seemed to work was strong sleeping tablets. I also had a very similar 'snake oil merchants' outlook on them too. 6 weeks of being a pin cushion, was the first year since I hit puberty I didn't miss at least a few days of work/school. Last year being the second year, I didn't drop antihistamines like they were candy....

Even if it had nothing to do with helping me, I'm more open to alternative type therapys now.

0psi

Eats Squid
Without mucus you would die way quicker, it is your lungs defence barrier.
Mate at the rate I'm going, I'm going to drown in the shit! It's only really a problem in winter so I may wait till next year to give it a try, just curious if anyone else has tried this hookum.

HA! Love the skepticism.

While many things may be a sham, I can assure you that accupuncture is not among them. Interesting note: they have MULTIPLE peer reviewed studies showing that accupuncture does have benefits. The scary part is these studies acknowledge that while we can prove it does have an effect, the best in the business still cant work out the physiological mechanism behind it, although they are at the "possible mechanism" stage.

A 2 second google (first result) shows one of the many articles I have seen before over the years:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/p...=mechanism-points-to-acupuncture-pai-10-05-30

frensham

Likes Dirt
If acupuncture works for you, I am sure that halotherapy will also...along with homeopathy, pedomancy and tea leaf reading:eyebrows:...
You clearly know nothing about acupuncture do you? Open heart surgery without anaesthetics has been performed using acupuncture. Read up! Remove your ignorance. As for some of the others you mention.....

moorey

call me Mia
There is more evidence that there is either no effect or a placebo effect. Googling mainstream articles doesn't prove anything, any more than anecdotes and your assurance it works.
The placebo effect is very powerful, do if it works for you, don't let me burst your bubble.

Ah, fuck it....pop!!! http://whatstheharm.net/acupuncture.html

frensham

Likes Dirt
HA! Love the skepticism.

While many things may be a sham, I can assure you that accupuncture is not among them. Interesting note: they have MULTIPLE peer reviewed studies showing that accupuncture does have benefits. The scary part is these studies acknowledge that while we can prove it does have an effect, the best in the business still cant work out the physiological mechanism behind it, although they are at the "possible mechanism" stage.

A 2 second google (first result) shows one of the many articles I have seen before over the years:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/p...=mechanism-points-to-acupuncture-pai-10-05-30
The medical profession cannot work out the physiological mechanism behind the placebo effect (amongst others) but because it happens in Western medicine it's valid therapy....

moorey

call me Mia
You clearly know nothing about acupuncture do you? Open heart surgery without anaesthetics has been performed using acupuncture. Read up! Remove your ignorance. As for some of the others you mention.....
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Just had to quote that for posterity.
The burden of proof isn't on me to prove it doesn't work, it's on you/practitioners to prove it does. It's called "null hypothesis".
There is really nothing beyond the placebo effect at play. You can read as many claims as to it's effectiveness as you want, but credible, peer reviewed studies disagree with you.

Sorry to take the thread off topic, OP.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Just going to leave a nice little Tim Minchin quote here...

"Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proven to work?.. Medicine."

As for the original question, (it's already been stated but) tears drain into the nose through a small duct. Getting a runny nose whenever you ride suggests that you're eyes are watering excessively. Are you wearing glasses/goggles when you ride?

I used to have a similar problem whenever I went for a road ride. I switched my riding glasses out for a pair with a slightly bigger lens which prevented wind bending around the frame and into my eyes. Problem solved for me.

0psi

Eats Squid
I nearly always ride with glasses but I may try a pair with more coverage (anyone else have flash backs to the creepy guy in the Virgin mobile ad every time they say 'coverage'?). I'll be honest the tears thing sounds a little wierd but it's not thick mucus it's really thin (like thick saliva) so maybe that's the cause?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I'll be honest the tears thing sounds a little wierd but it's not thick mucus it's really thin (like thick saliva) so maybe that's the cause?
it really does sound like you're getting a similiar thing to what i do, Opsi. i don't have any suggestions other than make sure you have a hanky :madgrin: i haven't figured how to stop it for myself! it's darn annoying being in a full-face helmet on the gate trying to concentrate when the nose won't stop running....

JP

Likes Dirt
In winter I am The Snot Machine 2000! It doesn't worry me that much. I cannot speak for the people I ride with.

Try a saline spray or a netti pot. I use a netti pot at home to clean the sinuses, and a saline spray at work, especially if we have some really smoky, dirty jobs. Dunno if use will reduce snot and mucus but you can try.