Is the market forcing us to adopt 29ers?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I currently ride an 09 Stumpy for XC and AM duties and after riding a 2012 Stumpy in Whister this year decided that I want to upgrade. After a vast amount of research and many phone calls to bike shops, I found that all of the (medium) 2012 Stumpy Comps have sold out in Australia. So I though I'd spend a bit more money and get a 2013 model. Not possible. In Australia they are only doing the 2013 Stumpy Comp in a 29er. I don't want a Stumpy Evo and I don't want to spend big bucks on a carbon Stumpy, so I'm going to have to look for another brand, which is a PITA because the 2012 Stumpy I rode was the best bike I've ever ridden for that kind of riding.

In the US they are still making a 26er Comp for 2013, why do they assume that we all want to switch to 29ers here?

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The answer is simple - voice your opinion by switching to a manufacturer that supports your wheel size of choice.

wavike

Likes Dirt
+1 Don't want a 29er. I might consider a 650b (Scott genius or Norco sight), but only if there isn't a weight penality. Lapierre seem to be putting out a nice 26 range, but from memory the 120m travel has a sharp HA and 140 is a bit ugly.
Is the reason 29ers out sold 26ers beacause they didn't have enough 26ers available to sell, as Robhely has found there's noooone to be had. Pretty good way be justify 29ers, don't sell 26ers then say there's no demand.

Last edited:

finksta

Likes Dirt
Last year, 29ers outsold 26ers by a significant chunk. It's a numbers reason.
This is true, however I feel that the market is being forced. While looking for a new bike recently I continually felt pressured into buying a 29er. I knew exactly what I wanted, I was after a 2012 26" trance xo because I knew there was no 26" models coming out in 2013. They kept telling me that the 29" was better, would make me faster, was more fun etc etc. One guy even admitted to me that all his bikes were 26" and he had no intention of getting a 29er, but was still trying to convince me that the trance 29er was the way to go.

I have nothing against the bigger wheels and I have ridden a couple, I just prefer 26ers, but every time I walk into a bike shop to have a look at bikes I get steered towards the 29ers when I have told them my preference. Now the result of this for a beginner who has no preference is that they will buy the 29er, so it's no wonder they are outselling the smaller wheeled bikes when they are being pushed so hard.

finksta

Likes Dirt
Oh, and they keep saying how they can't sell 26" bikes, yet they have none in stock - they are SOLD OUT!

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Honestly, terrain dictates equipment use. Sure you can stick it out hard with a 26" or even a 24", but to each his own. I'm in the drawing board to use a front 29" and rear 26", because it feels right.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Terrain and distance, and your height, all dictate what wheel size would be ideal. But most importantly you should pick what's most fun with little compromises in the other considerations. For me that'll always be 26", but for epic rides I'd consider a 27.5. 27.5 is not too much bigger than 26, especially 26 DH rubber, soo it might prove to not be much of a fun feeling sacrifice.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
In 2011 specialized had both 26" and 29er s-works epics. The 29ers sold out in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile you couldn't give away the 26" bikes. I can only assume that experience was a factor in focusing on 29ers (for xc bikes)

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We must have the most choice of MTBs since ever, 3 wheel sizes, 9/ 10/ 11 speed, AM bikes lighter than XC bikes of 5 years ago and more bang for buck IMO every year.
Yes some of the big players are trying to steer the market to big wheels but as stated above we the buyer can have the final say where our $s go.
Remember the uproar when XX came out but no grip shift- riders world wide petioned Sram and finally got their way.

I was interested to read in AMB that Sid Taberlay is riding a 26", HT with QR and 1" 1/8 steerer (stated as 1" in the mag...).
It would seem some pros have not been told it is faster to ride a "modern" bike!

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last year, 29ers outsold 26ers by a significant chunk. It's a numbers reason.
That's only because the majority of manufacturers are pushing 29er's so heavily, and removing 26 completely from certain models. I'm not against 29, I just don't want to see 26 phased out of certain bike types completely.

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
[h=1]fad Pronunciation: /fad/[/h] Definition of fad

[h=3]noun[/h]
  • an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze: some regard green politics as no more than the latest fad

cameron_15

Eats Squid
It's not that hard to understand. Supply and demand.

29ers ARE in MUCH higher demand in the XC/Trail category. This is why major brands are bringing in a very limited selection of 26ers this season. 26" bikes did not sell well when compared to their 29" counterparts. While yes, they might be out of stock of 26" models at the end of the season, the 29ers were snapped up months ago, with some models selling out before they even hit our shores.

Source: I work in a bike shop.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Before i got in to MTB i read up on it and was totally fooled by the 29er theory, Now i am selling it as i am not a XC rider and would rather a twitchy bike that likes to be in the air :)

moorey

call me Mia
The 29ers sold out in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile you couldn't give away the 26" bikes.
Its a hipster world for sure.

Cram your 29ers where the sun don't shine (insert cleeshoy's 'Moorey race results' dig here). People my height and under (<5'8") look hilarious on a 29er, and just seem to look unhappy and bitter,...while still trying to justify how awesome they are. If youre an XC racer, maybe theres merit. If you ride for fun, and don't smoke the cobbler, stick with 26", possibly 27.5 (I am also considering the 27.5" at the front only option)

Keep up the 29" trend i say...it will make the bikes and components cheaper for proper bikes.:clap2: