VIC Southern Exposure 24 hour MTB festival 20-21 OCT

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
After the demise of Redesdale's Garmin 24 hour it looks as though Southern Exposure have been quick to step up and anounce thier 12 race has grown up. It looks like Victoria will have a 24 hour race in 2012 after all. Woo Hoo! Sounds awesome.

akashra

Eats Squid
Couldn't think of a better organiser to host it. Props to Mick and the crew for stepping up and filling the void for an event where there's an obvious demand.

cooken

Likes Dirt
That's great news. Southern Exposure was one of my favourite races last year.

Fingers crossed for a SS solo 24 category.

akashra

Eats Squid
Second last Saturday of every October. It's evolved over time - the first year it was a very physically demanding (upper body) course, but not so much anymore. Gone are the very steep weight-distribution climbs. It's a course anyone can ride, totally suitable of being the first enduro you throw a person at. There's sections of sand that cause some challenge at speed, and extended blind corners especially at night that add significant challenge.

The event itself is fantastically run, you'll have no complaints about the organisation.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Second last Saturday of every October. It's evolved over time - the first year it was a very physically demanding (upper body) course, but not so much anymore. Gone are the very steep weight-distribution climbs. It's a course anyone can ride, totally suitable of being the first enduro you throw a person at. There's sections of sand that cause some challenge at speed, and extended blind corners especially at night that add significant challenge.

The event itself is fantastically run, you'll have no complaints about the organisation.
Location??

Pearla

If the course is similar to last years 12hr it's an absolute ripper. It seems fast everywhere without much climbing.

Hoping there will be a 2 person 24hr category.

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
The sandy soils in the area (as its a seaside location) mean that there is better drainage of rain. I saw another one of their events in an earlier year and yes, they're up there with the rest when it comes to organising and running races. At Eumeralla there are good facilities too.

fergo

Likes Dirt
The sandy soils in the area (as its a seaside location) mean that there is better drainage of rain. I saw another one of their events in an earlier year and yes, they're up there with the rest when it comes to organising and running races. At Eumeralla there are good facilities too.
The sand in the wet will do a set of brake pads every lap though. We rode there one night and it was pis.ing down - there were streams flowing down the track and all three of us ran out of brakes to the point where we were rotors on backing plates.

The sand in the wet will do a set of brake pads every lap though. We rode there one night and it was pis.ing down - there were streams flowing down the track and all three of us ran out of brakes to the point where we were rotors on backing plates.
I ride the area two to three times weekly - even during rain and puddles! Saying after one ride you burnt your brakes? Havent had to replace pads in over 6 months!

fergo

Likes Dirt
yes. I asked the same thing at Easter and the scout camp managers are happy for us to enter anytime. With the track unmarked, you may need a gps!

throwback

Likes Bikes
24hr Cancelled due to lack of interest? !!

This came as a massive surprise.

All our crew got a call or an email from the organisers yesterday saying that they were scaling the event back to a 12hr because they have had such poor take-up for the 24hr.

We were all stunned, just naturally assumed people would jump all over it. Clearly the VIC MTB scene doesn't really want a 24hr at the moment. The Surfcoast event is absolutely ideal for a 24hr so I struggle to think that people were put off by the venue.

Any thoughts?

Has everyone gone cyclocross mad and abandoned their MTBs?!! Noticed that a couple of the Marathon events this month are looking a bit under subscribed as well

Tibbsy

Squid
There is no other 24 hrs left in Vico?? This really surprised me! The course is perfect for a 24hr and a really well run event as a 12hr. Still looking forward to the event, but would have loved a 24hr on that course!!

Looks like it will be the Scott next year!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I was lining up to do this 24 but injury has me out. Sad to see it go.

Maybe it struggled for numbers for the 24 because of too many choices of categories. 3, 6, 12, 24 and a 6+6 categories I believe.
Also it is only a week after the Scott. And any serious 24 races will be there.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Was suprised to hear the cancellation of the 24 hour category also. Doing a 24 is a really a 2-3 day thing - perhaps people don't have the time anymore?

The Vic MTB calendar has so many events choose from now - from enduros, stage races, CX, marathons - a 24 hour style event has alot to compete against now. The Surf Coast race is also scheduled to be on the same weekend as Round the Bay - I imagine some riders would have had to choose between the 2.

Surprised? I think I was more surprised there were no 24hr mixed team categories on offer. But there was a 40+ and 50+ male & female 3hr solo. ? Ok. What about $20 per person, per night for unpowered, public toilet camping-added to the (lube required) entry fees?
So you get your social team of 6, mixed gender, racing against teams of 6 dudes, paying $780 entry, plus $240 for a campsite?

Err...I should qualify this by adding I've raced this event 3 years running and love it.

sossy

Saucier
I have ridden this event every year it has run, sadly, I wont be there this year. I simply can't justify the $$$ for the race entry this year. I know there are plenty that will pay, and more power to them, but for me, it was $100 for a 3 hour ride and somewhere to put up a tent. might head down the road to forrest that weekend instead and pay less than $15 for the campsite for the night and ride as much as I like.