Yarra Trails regulars

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That variety vary greatly in length though none are known to be venomous...
I've heard that they may raise up and spit if provoked.

Damn smutty old men we are.

Hey, seriously now, I'm riding somewhere 9:30 tomorrow where there are definitely no snakes of any variety. PM me if anyone wants to have their legs ripped off and lungs exploded slowly.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Which snakes are most commonly found on the YT's?
* Brown?
* Tiger?
* Red Bellied black?
the big cat variety almost excusively along the Yarra- from what Ive seen.
seen only Browns at the Youies
seen Blacks and browns at Lysterfield

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I've heard that they may raise up and spit if provoked.

Damn smutty old men we are.

Hey, seriously now, I'm riding somewhere 9:30 tomorrow where there are definitely no snakes of any variety. PM me if anyone wants to have their legs ripped off and lungs exploded slowly.
You are smutty Stevob - not us - you really know how to send a welcoming invite .............. come riding with me and I will make you bleed and cry like a drunken school girl who was dumped at the formal....... yeah look forward to that.

I will be riding the Youies tomorrow (cant/wont say when) where there is only one snake - named Andy/Steve or Frank (cant remember). He lives at the top of Rockwells Climb and is really old and grumpy with a loud hiss to warn but is a real ladies man.

I rode 40kms on the Yarra on Saturday around mid day and didnt see one snake, 5 bluetongues, 527 rabbits, a platypus swimming in the river below the bridge and three people riding 29ers.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are smutty Stevob - not us - you really know how to send a welcoming invite .............. come riding with me and I will make you bleed and cry like a drunken school girl who was dumped at the formal....... yeah look forward to that.
You're really heading down the wrong path if you found my invite "not so tantalising" John. Concrete pills in the mail for you.:evil:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
You're really heading down the wrong path if you found my invite "not so tantalising" John. Concrete pills in the mail for you.:evil:
yes my soul is sold to the god of cheap parma evenings, cold beer and multiple gears

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose I could have sold it as a light training ride with a few hills thrown into the mix, but then some people might turn up for what may be their last ride on a mountain bike.

Sometimes I prefer to sell it hard. That way people know that they're in for some hard yards, and they're less likely to hate me at the end because I warned them. I really am a considerate rider and will always wait for fellow riders. Quite often I will abandon a fast ride out there to show someone I meet on the trails who is a little lost and I always carry extra water to give to those who came insufficiently prepared.

Having said that, most people who survive come back for more. Simply because there's no comparison.

Happy riding everyone!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I suppose I could have sold it as a light training ride with a few hills thrown into the mix, but then some people might turn up for what may be their last ride on a mountain bike.

Sometimes I prefer to sell it hard. That way people know that they're in for some hard yards, and they're less likely to hate me at the end because I warned them. I really am a considerate rider and will always wait for fellow riders. Quite often I will abandon a fast ride out there to show someone I meet on the trails who is a little lost and I always carry extra water to give to those who came insufficiently prepared.

Having said that, most people who survive come back for more. Simply because there's no comparison.

Happy riding everyone!
you aint a bad guy Stevob..... just slightly deranged but you are in good company. You ride amazing trails, amazingly well on rigid SS bikes at twice the speed of mere mortals. I would ride again with you just be be inspired.

as you were

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eastern Tiger Snake

was reading a few posts earlier and just wanted to post my take on snakes around YTs:

Tigers (Eastern Tiger Snake):
Main snakes are Tigers (mate has worked for council for 20+ years and that's what the crew always see - he looks after parklands from Burke Rd up river) also that's what I have encountered over the years, especially in recent summers.

When:
I see them mostly in the late afternoon early evening 6:00 onwards, usually curled up somewhere along the trail, usually in a sunny patch of trail. Sometimes it seems there are birds on the trail before the snake, don't know if this is always the case but has happened a few times.

Main Risk for Riders:
as we are moving too fast for them to react or get out the way, you have 3 options, stop, run over them or go around them (bunny hop maybe?). If you stop, stay back and it will move on, if you run over one, you'll probably kill it as they are pretty fragile. If you go around one from my experience they have never reacted (attacked) they just move away 10 or 20 seconds later. I have also practiced clipping out the leg closest to snake, can't say it would work but I had a dream one launched at me, of course it aren't going to happen at the speed we ride at!

Don't panic:
This seems to be the main way riders are bitten or hurt - riding flat out - rider sees snake, hits the anchors, falls off bike and lands on snake. Of course leave it alone if you have gone around it.

If you are bitten - your mobile and other trail users are your friend:
Yes you would call 000, now location - GPS???? not sure if they do, ummm - no worries I'm in the crit circuit, I mean the fast flowing section near Bonds Rd, sorry do you know the bit that has nice flowing corners just after the golf course climb? So you better have some key land marks/streets you can get them to, when you say Yarra Trails they'll say what's that - doubt operators have any local knowledge or skills to find your location. Main Yarra Trail? Getting there, nearest street? up shit creek at this stage, other trail user coming along? Hey I'm liking the gay guys now!

Do you move to the main trail? It's not recommended to move (see first aid below), you could be in a situation where if you don't move you don't get found.

Still have to say the main risk for us is ourselves i.e. crashing so the chance of being bitten would have to be very low.

Snake Bite First Aid St. Johns.

800px-Eastern_Tiger_Snake.jpg

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ Nice post MTB. Knut you did a very nice job as well.

Tigers are nocturnal hunters so they do their best work in the evening.

It's so important to remember those emergency markers; How else do you let someone know where you are in an emergency? For all that I've never memorized one. :) Goose!

piker

Likes Dirt
I once quoted one of those emergency marker numbers to an ambulance operator at the You Yangs and they still couldn't work out where I was or how to get there...wasn't a snake bite, just an unconscious and convulsing mtber! They eventually worked it out based on surrounding road names and then the patient woke up a his mate called off the ambos anyway...

Anyway, back to the elapid discussion. I agree, don't fall on a snake!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I once quoted one of those emergency marker numbers to an ambulance operator at the You Yangs and they still couldn't work out where I was or how to get there...wasn't a snake bite, just an unconscious and convulsing mtber! They eventually worked it out based on surrounding road names and then the patient woke up a his mate called off the ambos anyway...

Anyway, back to the elapid discussion. I agree, don't fall on a snake!
well did I tell you about mate who smashed his face into a log at Woodend 2 years ago, initially unconscious with cut lips and chin, maybe broken shoulder, no phone reception, some other riders rode to main road and called the ambulance and he was moved to the nearest road (a named dirt road). Would you believe after 1.5 hours still no ambulance they call mate's mobile, where are you guys? Turns out they were at the Blackwood end of the state forest, injured rider was at the Woodend ... end of the state forest. They didn't have a clue. All up it took about 3 hours to get him in the ambulance.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of system to get ambulance into off-road areas. i.e gps coordinates or something, apart from emergency markers. I mentioned this to ambo mate and he said, no we just use the melway.....

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
......<snip>......
I got the shivers when I saw that photo. So far haven't seen any this year and it hasn't been through lack of riding. I keep thinking the long grass along the Yarra just hides them, which I'm perfectly fine with as well :)

I went for Cup Day dash yesterday around Kew and after years of never seeing anything really dodgy hit pay dirt in the ST opposite the monument climb. When riding along the road saw an odd looking guy walk into the ST in the middle of the road loop. After doing monument climb I crossed into the ST only to come across him and some other guy completely naked....... at the same time I got a flat rear tyre......... I kept going.......... shaking head.......... So there you have it, 3pm Cup Day, not really what I was expecting.

Don't know why I'm typing this, I think it might be therapy............

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I got the shivers when I saw that photo. So far haven't seen any this year and it hasn't been through lack of riding. I keep thinking the long grass along the Yarra just hides them, which I'm perfectly fine with as well :)

I went for Cup Day dash yesterday around Kew and after years of never seeing anything really dodgy hit pay dirt in the ST opposite the monument climb. When riding along the road saw an odd looking guy walk into the ST in the middle of the road loop. After doing monument climb I crossed into the ST only to come across him and some other guy completely naked....... at the same time I got a flat rear tyre......... I kept going.......... shaking head.......... So there you have it, 3pm Cup Day, not really what I was expecting.

Don't know why I'm typing this, I think it might be therapy............
You now know what we have been talking about. Anyone who takes offence to us taking the p*ss in this thread about the raging individuals who conduct such activities in public spaces can seriously bite me.

Should have stopped and asked them to help you with your tyre. You can also yell out - "Park Ranger/ police, what are you two doing there - get out of the park."

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Monday night ride plug

Hey everyone,
Just a reminder for Monday night ride leaving Fitzsimons Lane car park (one next to the bridge at Candle bark park) will be leaving 640pm! Yes, I pushed it back a little to see if that makes it any easier for others to join :) see you there!

As far as lights go, you may need them for the last part of the ride!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
regular Tuesday night ride

Will have to change times abit

meet Birrarung Marr (below Fed Sq) at 5:45pm
pick up in park - end of Gipps Street (across bridge) 6:05pm

see you tomorrow

John

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bicycle Superstore Nunawading Regular Tuesday Night Rides.
Meet at the shop at 5:30 for a 5:45 depart.

We will either head to the Mullum Mullum Single Track or down to Westerfold.
Cruisy pace with plenty of laughs, go as hard or as slow as you like.

Beers back at the shop afterwards.

Yes we are riding tomorrow :)

Josh

leithel

Likes Bikes
Went for a ride on Sunday, I hit and maimed a snake at speed. It was definitely a 'hit and run' type deal. Heard another two rustling off into the long grass as well.... There are def a few around!