Child trailers for single track

shakes

Likes Dirt
slowman, i think that you are onto something. Us vets with kids may not always be able to get out for a ride, but when we do, we haul the kids and a nappy bag!!! Could make us stronger, if not by the increased difficulty, then by natural selection. I don't think I'll be taking on appin with a trailer but a few fire trails would be ok surely. what about those little baby harnesses, where you strap bub on your chest? would this be significantly more dangerous than a trailer?
I would say it's a whole lot safer for the little one than a typical baby seat. The trailer essentially puts the little on in their own cage, so if you mess up and fall off, they still stay safe. I personally think regular bumps larger than corrugations on a dirt road is too large for most little ones under 2-3years old

Seriously though, it's only a couple of years you have to wait, is it really worth the risk of damaging your little one for some small personal satisfaction?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am finding the little guy is most happy on roads and cycle paths where he sees buses, truckes, etc and can stop at a playground for a play.
His older sister did not want to be on the bike much so i am just content to do 5-20k rides with him and we would total over 100ks a week during school weeks. If i lived closer to some tracks i might do more but as it's a drive accross town i don't think i will bother too much to get on the dirt.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
yep, i concur

I would say it's a whole lot safer for the little one than a typical baby seat. The trailer essentially puts the little on in their own cage, so if you mess up and fall off, they still stay safe. I personally think regular bumps larger than corrugations on a dirt road is too large for most little ones under 2-3years old

Seriously though, it's only a couple of years you have to wait, is it really worth the risk of damaging your little one for some small personal satisfaction?
I agree shakes. I got a cheap, rigid, steel mtb and a wee ride and I have been having a great time on it with me little mate (just turned 1 year). I was looking about for a cheap hardtail that might fit the wee ride bar (wee riders will know what I'm talking about) but when I started on the rigid I was too nervous to ride down my (steep) driveway and now walk it down. I don't ride much faster than a jog when he's on there. It's less about riding than spending some time with my boy. Maybe this will change in a year when his neck and head are a bit more developed and can handle a bit of a bump, and he has more awareness to hold his weight a bit with his arms and anticipate or even notice his weight shifting in turns. He seems to enjoy it, looking around but other times just happy to look at his hands in amazement, or looking up at me, and eventually tug away at my helmet strap.

At what age does everyone think a kid might be ready for a tag along? Hope this isn't hijacking this thread. I've been following it and love hearing about other burner's stories about trail riding. I don't (yet) feel comfortable doing this with the wee ride but not going to judge anyone that does. Every child is different and I don't feel confident enough on the trail with the extra 11.4kg (check up was today) of boy and whatever the wee ride is.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow an 11kg 1 yr old, i recon my 3rd old is not much more than that....

I had him on the weeride with dually and he still feels a decent bump offroad. we can stand and unweight they just take all the hits....

I got a tag along for my daughter when she was almost 5, she started riding her own bike a few weeks later and it never got used...She can now ride up to 10km at a time (almost 6).

I have a cargo bike that can take take both kids and their bikes (balance bike for the little guy) and my wife too. We go for a ride and when my daughter is tired we put her bike in the side bag and she jumps on the "family bike" as she calls it. Perfect!

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Dual with weeride?

Wow an 11kg 1 yr old, i recon my 3rd old is not much more than that....

I had him on the weeride with dually and he still feels a decent bump offroad. we can stand and unweight they just take all the hits....

I got a tag along for my daughter when she was almost 5, she started riding her own bike a few weeks later and it never got used...She can now ride up to 10km at a time (almost 6).

I have a cargo bike that can take take both kids and their bikes (balance bike for the little guy) and my wife too. We go for a ride and when my daughter is tired we put her bike in the side bag and she jumps on the "family bike" as she calls it. Perfect!
Yeah he's a big boy. I thought he would have been heavier actually, he was 8.5 at 6 months. And my arms get a good workout if I leave the stroller in the car. I'm 6'1" and wife is 6' so reckon he'll be a big lad.

I got told that you couldn't set up a wee ride with dually. How does it go? I have a 2010 trance, with the bendy top tube. Anyone tried to fit a wee ride to a giant bendy top tube? Usually its the amount of head tube protruding above the top tube, tho I've seen them set up with the bar on headset spacers as well. Not sure how legit this set up it tho...

Just googled cargo bike. Reckon it's about my only chance of getting wifey on a bike :mmph:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Damn weight weenie parents. Don't you ever feed your son Steve? My daughter is 9 months and 8.4kg and is normal weight. So 1 yo and 11kg sounds about right to me.

I'm not sure whether to start her in a rear seat or trailer. Originally I thought a trailer would be the shizzle, but now I'm starting to think a rear seat may be better. It should be lighter, cheaper to buy, easier to maneuver and narrower. I have no intention of hitting single track any time soon with her on board though. I would stick to paths or quiet roads.
The benefits of a trailer seem small. Maybe she could bring a teddy bear along for the ride. Other than that???
I think I'll do up my wife's old shogun metro. It has not been used in 15 years but would be perfect for this. It's even a 29er.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i just checked the 'blue book" and he is 13.5kg.... Yesterday he (mostly) ate 5 choc coated ice creams he helped himself to, would have thought he would be heaps heavier....

I think the wee rider is the best thing ever. I have multiple mounts for mine - a piece of c channel held to the frame with hose clamps, as strong as original mount but able to move it WAY further forward.

This not my usual crew (exept snow white on the back). The Xtra is always a big hit at kids parties.....

DSC01377a.jpg

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At what age does everyone think a kid might be ready for a tag along? Hope this isn't hijacking this thread. I've been following it and love hearing about other burner's stories about trail riding. I don't (yet) feel comfortable doing this with the wee ride but not going to judge anyone that does. Every child is different and I don't feel confident enough on the trail with the extra 11.4kg (check up was today) of boy and whatever the wee ride is.
My 4 year old loves the tagalong, he could only just reach the pedals when he started riding it. Have taken him into Glenrock on the easy stuff and he loves it. He has been riding a balance bike since three and pedal bike since 4-ish, so has a bit of balance for the tagalong. I am always concious of checking if he's ok after bumps and stuff. One time I looked around and saw my older son 'supermanning' - hands on grips, legs out the back, no dramas, just had to stop for him to get back on.

Had both sons on rear seats from quite early, and in the bush a little too on the easy stuff. Was much harder to get out when No.2 came along so we are getting back into it now No.1 is big enough for a 20".

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
OK, my little boy is now 3 months old (and incredibly cute). I see what you guys mean about the head/neck weakness. He is just starting to hold his head up - but there is still a long way to go before he has 'control'.

Anyway the whole child trailer issue is now a moot point. Grandma is so desperate for baby time that my partner and I are having no problems getting out for a ride together (except for the constant rain). I'm still keen for the day when bubba and I can go for a ride together :)

All the posts on this thread have been fascinating though. Thanks for the input!

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
OK, my little boy is now 3 months old (and incredibly cute). I see what you guys mean about the head/neck weakness. He is just starting to hold his head up - but there is still a long way to go before he has 'control'.

Anyway the whole child trailer issue is now a moot point. Grandma is so desperate for baby time that my partner and I are having no problems getting out for a ride together (except for the constant rain). I'm still keen for the day when bubba and I can go for a ride together :)

All the posts on this thread have been fascinating though. Thanks for the input!
Congrats Cypher. You could go out and cure cancer but still consider having a baby you're greatest achievement. That's how good it is IMO.

Enjoy those times when you can ride the single trail with partner but don't forget about sharing your love of riding with your boy either. I got mine a little Netti helmet from Rebel and use it on the weeride as well as pushing him about on the handle-steered-tricycle-thing, you know what I mean. I make all the motor sound effects (but not uphill or I run out of breath) and he just loves it. When I get home from work in the afternoon and pick him up he points outside and makes the motor sound effects, then when I take him down to the garage, and his bikes (I have a JD Bug ready to go!), he gets so excited he kicks me in the balls with those heavy rubber kiddy shoes. Never been happier :)

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
This is our first ride.

Possibly the best $50 I've ever spent.
It's not on a mountain bike, so it will only hit the bike paths. It's fitted to an old Shogun Metro I have resurrected. Love it.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
My goodness it is hard being a competitive parent! Someone mentioned getting their offspring riding at about 14 months. Well <humph!> we shall see about that! :)

My little bloke is now 11 months and we've been trying to get him to move on his trike. He has a good seat and is very sturdy and likes being pushed around (even makes appropriate raspberry/farty sounds too, as if the engine is going).

But try as we might we can't get him to move himself. All the gyrating hips and stamping legs, the general cavorting my partner and I do infront of him just makes him look confused.

Oh well. We still have 5 more months...
This is tongue in cheek by the way...

I still don't have a bike trailer or bike seat yet. Just don't have the time

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
IMAG0227a.jpg

Couldn't resist posting up this pic. Best day ever. Riding around, stopping at the swings, eating snacks, looking at the beach. And remembered all the other essentials too: spare nappy, wipes, sunscreen, sunglasses, banana, and cash for dad's coffee. Perfect way to spend a morning.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nah, sounds totally awesome- as long as the kid loves it.

Even conjuring up the absolute worst that can happen - it surely is safer than going on the road, and no-one batts an eyelid over that!

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Is it just me or does a single track child carrier just sound like a bad idea?
I'm just challenging traditional gender sterotypes by being the dangerous parent! I wont be cottonballing my children.

Hell yeah it sounds like a great idea :) Seriously, how fast do you think I would go?! I have the ability to track stand and when I was pregnant I rode all sorts of trails at a speed that can only be described as a "dead stop".

Cypher

Likes Dirt
We just got our Wee-Ride for the first birthday...and it is an absolute winner! Ok, it is a little awkward getting on and off the bike, but I really like that they little guy is up front. I'm stoked we can go out riding again. BTW the little guy LOVES the bumps!

Photo0112.jpg Here is me at 8 months pregnant riding at Kentlyn :)

2012-10-26 16.59.48-1.jpg Here is us on our first ride!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Nice one Julie ... all that early stimulation with my kids is now getting slowly counteracted by the tellie so get lots of ks in :bounce: