An Open Letter To Chain Reaction Cycles

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I feel for the LBS's and support mine when I can but asking the government to tax us some more... hoping to drive the price up and send us running back into shops to pay inflated prices is not going to fix the problem.

Do you not think we pay enough tax already.

They announced on the brekky show this morning that download now officially passed the 50% mark of all books/movies/music.... so for every video store, book store and music shop its adapt, reinvent your business or shut up shop.

Sadly for the Aussie bike shops the prices are too high to start with and with cheap parts readily available online and youtube telling you step by step how to do it yourself it's getting harder.

If nothing changes with the business model here very soon, let's just pray that when the shit does hit the fan that the greedy people setting/driving the high prices crash the hardest.

BTW: in 2007 the government put the import threshold up from $249.99 to $999.99. Even at the 2007 limit it still wouldn't make a lot of difference.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
article mentions that Stanmore Cycles shut down last year . From what i was told, it wasn't due to hard financial times.
Apparently the owner ( Bob ) was 66, wanted to retire and travel, while he still had the chance .
If that was the case why didnt he sell the shop/business to contribute to his retirement fund?
I think you were told porkies!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BTW: in 2007 the government put the import threshold up from $249.99 to $999.99. Even at the 2007 limit it still wouldn't make a lot of difference.
AH I knew it was different, bought some forks years ago and had to pay tax, but the next time I looked it was $999.
Thing is even if it was $0 things would still be cheaper. I just bought (well recently quite a few pairs) a new pair of running shoes from eastbay, even with $50 for post, they cost me $180, wack on the 10% ~$200, they sell here for $260, thats win, win for me.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yep, it's all CRC's fault. What a bunch of C#%nts.

If Australia suddenly became the cheap place to shop for people in Europe or the States, Aussie businesses would have the decency to not ship to them to protect that countries local shops wouldn't they???

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it was not for CRC i would not be doing this, I help shops that don't rip me (i play dumb) but 90% don't mind ripping so Fark The LBS!! Fark them sideways!!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yep, it's all CRC's fault. What a bunch of C#%nts.

If Australia suddenly became the cheap place to shop for people in Europe or the States, Aussie businesses would have the decency to not ship to them to protect that countries local shops wouldn't they???
I assume you were being sarcastic?
Aussie retailers would not only ship to them, they would jack their prices up and come up with some lame excuse the it is more expensive to ship them here then back OS.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I assume you were being sarcastic?
Aussie retailers would not only ship to them, they would jack their prices up and come up with some lame excuse the it is more expensive to ship them here then back OS.
Yep, I was definitely being sarcastic.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where is this thread going? Are they evil or not?

PS, Johny Holmes dies years ago

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What happens when most small local bricks and mortar retailers have gone broke, shut up shop and the AUD$ starts to creep below parity and beyond. Will we be at the mercy of e-tailers from overseas? Will Australians be paying top $ for all things bicycle related, and everything else that can be purchased online, because the majority of local competition has been decimated by e-tailers from abroad?

jrewing

Eats Squid
What happens when most small local bricks and mortar retailers have gone broke, shut up shop and the AUD$ starts to creep below parity and beyond. Will we be at the mercy of e-tailers from overseas? Will Australians be paying top $ for all things bicycle related, and everything else that can be purchased online, because the majority of local competition has been decimated by e-tailers from abroad?
manufacturing starts up again and they cheer and we complain...but that'll be 20 yrs away

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You'll still need bike shops in operation so the suckers who feel as though they are forced to buy from them have a place where people will fit the parts........but I get your point.
What if bike shops didn't exist at all in our country and we have to pay whatever the going rate is online? Well, you'd probably do exactly what you did before online purchasing was such a great resource, you'd buy it without having to compare the price because it was the only option. That is how it existed when online sales weren't available and you had to buy through your bike store.
Without a local bike store you'd have guys like me making a few bucks on the side fitting parts for people that they've bought elsewhere knowing that some reliable and competent guys on the tools that do actually ride bikes are still around. Big Dozer's bike repairs, soon to be ABNed. ;)

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome idea Dozer. D11 Bike Surgery. Dial xxxxxxxxx to get your ride dialed by Dr Dozer. Fark, I reckon people would pay for your business to wash down their bikes as well. I know I would as I am a lazy kent when it comes to washing my bike post ride

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Awesome idea Dozer. D11 Bike Surgery. Dial xxxxxxxxx to get your ride dialed by Dozer. Fark, I reckon people would pay for your business to wash down their bikes as well. I know I would as I am a lazy kent when it comes to washing my bike post ride
Too late, these bike shops have seen an opportunity, teamed up with Wiggle and already provide the service.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sc/service-point

Innovate or die, something Aussie retailers need to learn.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My wife and I have a good agreement: She does her housey jobs for a couple of hours while I do the outside and wash the bikes and cars. Shit me, everything inside and out is spotless by the end of a weekend! I'll gladly clean a bike up for a small fee, it's easy when you "Dozerise" it. ;)

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
don't forget wiggle is opening a store here soon, if crc does too, and they open a few then lbs may well be going down.
So these shops that CRC and Wiggle are opening will be bypassing local importers/ distributors and will honour warranty?

If this is allowed to happen then why haven't all the smaller local shops gotten together and joined forces and done the same giving them more buying power. Kinda like IGA supermarkets do?