Phone upgrade. Vodafone - 19 Months in

user name

Likes Dirt
My experience with 3/Vodafone:

I had a dodgy nokia for a while and claimed warranty on its faults, came back fixed. A month later the same faults arose claimed warranty again and had it 'fixed' again... month later same issue, so thats 3 claims now and despite my whining Vodafone still wont replace the handset for equivalent value. im being told my phone ($49 per month) is now only worth $19 per month so i can have it replaced with a $19 phone and pay $49, thats fair right?

One call to the TIO (Telecommunications industry ombudsman) explained it all to them and BINGO they give me two things, a phone number to Vodafone in Australia and a TIO complaint number. Apparently after 3 warranty claims you are eligible for a replacement phone so i rings up vodaphone and the lovely aussie lady sorts me out with a phone of my choosing from the $49 range. Also a complaint number makes all the telco's really sit up stop feeding you bulls**t and fix the issue.

My advice: Ring the TIO and sus them out for the most appropriate high horse to ride.

http://www.tio.com.au/

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Buy a cheap unlocked phone and use your sim in it for next few months. IMHO Tel$tra have a much better service in rural areas. I won't go back to vodafone, as last time I dealt with them I was transferred to a call centre in the middle east! Ad where I live vodafone gives crappy service. Telstra has lifted their game.

Plow King

Little bit.
Thanks for the replys guys!

And thanks alot for the offer too Old Softy. Like most Australian families we also have many a phone farting all over the place.

I just looked at the TPG website and thats pretty damn good value. If I bought a note 2 new off Kogan it'd set me back $620. Then I'd put my sim in that until the contract ends in 5 months. Then switch over to TPg @ $35 a month.

So. It would be $1520 in total for the next 2 years including buying the phone outright. which includes the next 5 months of vodafone payments, the phone and 19 months @35 with TPG.

Alternatively it would be $1530 With vodafone for the next 24 months. which is good because I don't have to find $620 outright but the TPG plan is much better value...

Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Thanks for the replys guys!

And thanks alot for the offer too Old Softy. Like most Australian families we also have many a phone farting all over the place.

I just looked at the TPG website and thats pretty damn good value. If I bought a note 2 new off Kogan it'd set me back $620. Then I'd put my sim in that until the contract ends in 5 months. Then switch over to TPg @ $35 a month.

So. It would be $1520 in total for the next 2 years including buying the phone outright. which includes the next 5 months of vodafone payments, the phone and 19 months @35 with TPG.

Alternatively it would be $1530 With vodafone for the next 24 months. which is good because I don't have to find $620 outright but the TPG plan is much better value...

Hmmm. Decisions decisions.
Alternatively get the new Kogan sim. If you bought a 12 month pack I think it works out at about $30 a month, and that gives you tons of calls, plus 6Gb data per month! They're using part of the telstra network too. No NextG speeds, and not the full rural coverage, but it couldn't be worse than Voda.

Check out Vaya too, another Optus based MVNO, and you'll get a decent sized cap from them for about $12 a month.

They're the two I'm looking at at the moment. I would have moved already but I've got a complaint pending with Optus, so if they credit me some a free month or two I'll hang with them until I have to pay again.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Does it annoy anyone else that most carriers seem to quantify call time in monetary value? I mean they say you get $300 of "value" for $40... What are they basing their value system on??? the cost of mobile calls in the early 90's or if you were to make the same call on a sat phone. Comparing land line rates to a mobile you're getting more like $10 of "value" for $30 based on call rates.

Plow King

Little bit.
Alternatively get the new Kogan sim. If you bought a 12 month pack I think it works out at about $30 a month, and that gives you tons of calls, plus 6Gb data per month! They're using part of the telstra network too. No NextG speeds, and not the full rural coverage, but it couldn't be worse than Voda.

Check out Vaya too, another Optus based MVNO, and you'll get a decent sized cap from them for about $12 a month.

They're the two I'm looking at at the moment. I would have moved already but I've got a complaint pending with Optus, so if they credit me some a free month or two I'll hang with them until I have to pay again.
Yeah I looked at that when I was browsing through the checkout. As soon as my plan runs out I'll definatly concider it. I went into vodafone again. They told me the same thing. Altgough this time they told me to call up tell them my phone is fucked and I need a new one and if they dont give me one I will just go prepaid.

Does it annoy anyone else that most carriers seem to quantify call time in monetary value? I mean they say you get $300 of "value" for $40... What are they basing their value system on??? the cost of mobile calls in the early 90's or if you were to make the same call on a sat phone. Comparing land line rates to a mobile you're getting more like $10 of "value" for $30 based on call rates.
Im guessing they compare it to prepaid?

Cheap and nasty beaters come with semi decent spec's these days.

http://www.cellphonemic.com/mtk6577-android-phones/n9330-1g-ram
Cheers for that crofty. But past experiences with people with fake iphones and fake androids and such. I'd rather just pay the extra. The difference in ergonomics and general smoothness in huge.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
cost to repair?

I had a similar issue, my iphone4 stopped charging and the screen was smashed with 2 months left until I could upgrade. The payout fee was something silly like $400. I ended up getting a couple quotes to get my phone fixed and it ended up costing me $120.

Now my phone looks/works like its brand new again so when I do upgrade in a couple months I will have a perfectly good phone as a spare or sell it for whatever the going rate is.

Plow King

Little bit.
Well after all that fking around they still can't help me.

They won't upgrade my phone 2 months early after 19 Months on a contract. even though it won't work and you won't repair it.t so I'll take my thousands elsewhere, get better value and not be locked into a contract.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Well after all that fking around they still can't help me.

They won't upgrade my phone 2 months early after 19 Months on a contract. even though it won't work and you won't repair it.t so I'll take my thousands elsewhere, get better value and not be locked into a contract.
And vodafone wonders why its losing market share....

Did you take a look at whirlpool for all your phone and internet info? http://whirlpool.net.au/