Straya Day

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Oh, out of curiosity, why do you think we are "damn lucky to live here"?
- I don't have to worry about warlords kicking down my front door and cutting my sisters arms off and raping her while she bleeds to death in front of me
- My kids have access to quality public education
- I and my family have access to a good public health system
- When I was on the dole for a short period last year, I could still afford to rent a decent house, with a pool, near the beach, and eat well. Not sure where else you could have that
- I don't have to worry about being kidnapped, or my son, and forced to be part of a militia or geurilla group
- I live in a City with a solid sense of community, even though it is 500,000 strong
- If I make it a priority, I and my family will never have to go without anything they deserve and desire. My lifestyle and wealth is not determined by my government or religion, the only limiting factor is my willpower and willingness to work. Some people are more willing to work than me, and more motivated, but just don;t have access to the means to generate this for their families
- I am not limited to only have two children
- I can roam my entire country freely without having to pay bribes at military checkpoints
- My media access is not limited and censored by the government (I know the news is censored, I am talking about being cut off from the world like North Korea and China having limited search capabilities on their internet)
- I can access clean beaches, forests, mountains, rivers all within minutes from my front door
- We still have land, lots of land that has not been ruined with contaminants yet
- I can walk down the street at 3am in the CBD and not worry about getting mugged or shot
- No worries about thrid world diseases
- Clean water and electricity straight into my house
- We don't have the same unemployment/social security problmes like they do in some other first world countries
- I can wake up and know that I have a secure job, and if I didn't, I know that I CAN get one if I really want
- We don't have civil war, religious war, or any other frontline fights happening within our borders
- It is not compulsory to go into the military
- The gun laws here aren't lax. I had to go through hell and high water to get mine
- It's not illegal to grow veggies in my front yard. You should see my strawberries. As big as Dozers knob!
I could go on but I don't reckon anyone could be bothered reading

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Decent healthcare, no one's tried to yet (successfully) invade us...general isolation geographically can be a plus (granted, also a minus). People are generally quite friendly, we have an absolutely amazing variety of beautiful land features (the reef, mountains, deserts, beaches to name a few), and we're not so overpopulated that we can still move around and explore so much more of this country. Great education outcomes for majority of the population, lowest unemployment rates of most first world countries right now and hey- Farkin came from here, can't be all bad!

Happy Australia Day to all, no matter where you came from!
Just read this after posting above comment. This is basically the same as I was saying.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Yes. This.

I was going to mention our real culture, and it's fading away in my original post but I was hesitant as I anticipated it turning into a sh*t fight.

I love this one the best.

Burnum Burnum – takes possession of England on behalf of the Aboriginal Crown at the White Cliffs of Dover. 26 Jan 1988
PLS - If you want to post any racist comments regarding this post, go somewhere else.

Last edited:

mason33

Likes Dirt
Yes. This.

I was going to mention our real culture, and it's fading away in my original post but I was hesitant as I anticipated it turning into a sh*t fight.

I love this one the best.

Burnum Burnum – takes possession of England on behalf of the Aboriginal Crown at the White Cliffs of Dover. 26 Jan 1988
PLS - If you want to post any racist comments regarding this post, go somewhere else.

"Our real culture" It is not my culture, I'm not aboriginal. Your posts are irritating.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
- I don't have to worry about warlords kicking down my front door and cutting my sisters arms off and raping her while she bleeds to death in front of me
- My kids have access to quality public education
- I and my family have access to a good public health system
- When I was on the dole for a short period last year, I could still afford to rent a decent house, with a pool, near the beach, and eat well. Not sure where else you could have that
- I don't have to worry about being kidnapped, or my son, and forced to be part of a militia or geurilla group
- I live in a City with a solid sense of community, even though it is 500,000 strong
- If I make it a priority, I and my family will never have to go without anything they deserve and desire. My lifestyle and wealth is not determined by my government or religion, the only limiting factor is my willpower and willingness to work. Some people are more willing to work than me, and more motivated, but just don;t have access to the means to generate this for their families
- I am not limited to only have two children
- I can roam my entire country freely without having to pay bribes at military checkpoints
- My media access is not limited and censored by the government (I know the news is censored, I am talking about being cut off from the world like North Korea and China having limited search capabilities on their internet)
- I can access clean beaches, forests, mountains, rivers all within minutes from my front door
- We still have land, lots of land that has not been ruined with contaminants yet
- I can walk down the street at 3am in the CBD and not worry about getting mugged or shot
- No worries about thrid world diseases
- Clean water and electricity straight into my house
- We don't have the same unemployment/social security problmes like they do in some other first world countries
- I can wake up and know that I have a secure job, and if I didn't, I know that I CAN get one if I really want
- We don't have civil war, religious war, or any other frontline fights happening within our borders
- It is not compulsory to go into the military
- The gun laws here aren't lax. I had to go through hell and high water to get mine
- It's not illegal to grow veggies in my front yard. You should see my strawberries. As big as Dozers knob!
I could go on but I don't reckon anyone could be bothered reading

I guess your right. Cant find a single thing worthy in you post that make it worth celebrating Australia day.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Our real culture" It is not my culture, I'm not aboriginal. Your posts are irritating.
Are you saying you can't acknowledge the original inhabitants of our land/country? Not trying to antagonise you, i'm just curious, because surely you have to acknowledge where it all began to appreciate what we have?

I remember watching this as a young fella, and thought it was incredible.

Burnum Burnum was a family friend, and he spent Christmas with us when I was about 4-5. My mum said that my dad and him stayed up all night playing with a train set that they bought me...

Anyway, Australia day can still be a good thing, just because it is often hijacked by idiots.
It is important to remember that quite often, the sensible majority are just drowned out by the idiot minority.

Happy Australia Day to all.

brad353

Likes Dirt
reply deleted
as much as i'd love to unleash a tirade of horrible descriptive words on you, i think it would only be pointless. we all saw your initial post. there's one simple word to describe you with though- idiot. you're an idiot. go away and don't come back.

and harmonix, seems there are plenty of things as far as you're aware that are great about this country. pardon the pun, but it seems you're doing some serious back pedaling, as well as trying to divert away from your initial post with the comments on what generations of the past did to the aboriginal people. generations of the past..... how about what the current generation has done to try to make it up to them, for something that (this will piss some people off maybe, but it's not my intention) we didn't even do. hypothetically, if your dad was to murder someone, do you think you should go to jail for it? your late diversion tactics are irrelevant mate. the majority if not all of those countries with "rich cultures" at some point invaded and slayed the original inhabitants. welcome to human nature 101. i can't say this for a fact, but i'd bet that australia has probably done more than any other country in the world to make it up to our natives, another thing we should be proud of.

c'mon mate, don't be an ignorant narrow minded prick. swallow your pride, and admit that you were wrong. you'll get much more respect from me and plenty of others i'm sure. if you can't be proud of who you are, maybe you should piss off and try living in another country for a while, see how that changes your perspective. i'm sure there are plenty of good appreciative people who'd love to take your spot.

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
For Australia Day last year I got all self-righteous about it really being 'Invasion Day' and how we shouldn't celebrate it because it was a blight on our history, or I just had so much contempt for it that I just referred to it as 'Hottest 100 Day.' I realise that nationalism is a bit of a concocted thing (what part of culture isn't!), but being part of groups is what we humans do. If we're in this together, on this joint together, we should take pride in our collective efforts to make this the best place to live for everyone and celebrate our achievements and our inspirational citizens. This year I realised whatever you focus on, that's what you'll become. I don't want to be a pessimistic bastard, dwelling on the past and doing nothing to fix the future of this great place. Celebrate the good, recognise the bad, and do your best to change it.

This year, I went to a friend's house and we had a party with some mates. We had a BBQ and had a few drinks, we put up Aussie flags, swam in the pool and listened to the Hottest 100, but we didn't meet solely for any of those reasons alone. We met because we're mates, we share our lives together, and we enjoy each others company. Our small get together had a few typical lovable bogans, some surfies, me the token country bloke, a Sri Lankan chick who's been here since she was 5 who would out-do most peoples ideas of an Australian stereotype and two Argentinians-turned-Australians.

We don't have a trademark on 'mateship' or being a larrikan, or even the 'ANZAC spirit' but Australia Day is what you make of it! If you don't think its worth celebrating, then I'm afraid you're focussing too much on the bad.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
if you can't be proud of who you are
My pride (or lack thereof) in who I am is based on my own accomplishments and actions toward others, not on the fact that I was expelled from my mother's uterus on this piece of land over here, rather than that piece of land over there.

Yes, I was lucky enough to be born on this piece of land over here, rather than that piece of land over there. Not sure how that reflects on me as a person. I find it hard to be proud of being part of a country that still treats its indigenous population like crap, refuses to treat two people as equal under the law simply because they happen to be the same gender, and that slams the door on people running in fear of their lives, and treats them like criminals for doing so.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My pride (or lack thereof) in who I am is based on my own accomplishments and actions toward others, not on the fact that I was expelled from my mother's uterus on this piece of land over here, rather than that piece of land over there.

Yes, I was lucky enough to be born on this piece of land over here, rather than that piece of land over there. Not sure how that reflects on me as a person. I find it hard to be proud of being part of a country that still treats its indigenous population like crap, refuses to treat two people as equal under the law simply because they happen to be the same gender, and that slams the door on people running in fear of their lives, and treats them like criminals for doing so.
Are you actually taking the piss? All we do is tip toe around them to try to make them happy, I think a week in Alice Springs or somewhere similar would do you the world of good and perhaps open your eyes to the fact that the way they are treated comes down to the way they act. There's a very good reason why there are zero tolerance alcohol free aboriginal communities....

Capone

Likes Dirt
Are you actually taking the piss? All we do is tip toe around them to try to make them happy, I think a week in Alice Springs or somewhere similar would do you the world of good and perhaps open your eyes to the fact that the way they are treated comes down to the way they act. There's a very good reason why there are zero tolerance alcohol free aboriginal communities....
I see your point but don't think it was delivered well. However it's a debate for another time.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt

Agree with this.

What are people really proud of? They were born here, it was out of their control. Being Australian doesn't make you any better than anyone else. If you were born in the USA, UK, China etc you'd probably be proud of that.

It's like being proud to be male or female. It's not a personal accomplishment, you didnt decide anything so what is there really to be proud of.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see your point but don't think it was delivered well. However it's a debate for another time.
But this is the basis of what everyone is basing their comments on??

I have been reluctant to wade into this one until now. I feel the indigenous of this country are given much more assistance than the non indigenous. I have seen this first hand, with an adopted aboriginal sister. Growing up, the things that she was entitled to was mind blowing. My parents never took advantage of any of these, but I think the biggest thing holding them back (or down) is their attitude that they are owed something. Until they lose the chip on their shoulder and take responsibility for themselves, nothing will change. It's much easier to just blame oppression.

I am proud to be Australian, warts and all. We as a nation aren't perfect, but not many are.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
c'mon mate, don't be an ignorant narrow minded prick. swallow your pride, and admit that you were wrong. you'll get much more respect from me and plenty of others i'm sure. if you can't be proud of who you are, maybe you should piss off and try living in another country for a while, see how that changes your perspective. i'm sure there are plenty of good appreciative people who'd love to take your spot.
Not narrow minded, as always I specifically state in my former posts, and on all threads that I invite and encourage peoples opinions as I am open minded to every angle, and I will be the first to happily have my mind and opinion swayed if a better argument or more logical opinion is presented.
Also, it is not pride that needs to be swallowed here. I have not ever, once said that I am right, or insisted my opinion be taken as gospel.
I also mention in my original post that I am expecting opposing opinions. Pride does not even come into it.
Respect? I am, not in need of, or chasing anyones respect or approval. Respect is not to be asked for, it is only received by those who wish to give it, and I would never be so bold and arrogant as to ask for it.
Backpedalling? No. The questions I originally posed were that of presenting a querie as to how we view culture, is this what you/we celebrate, and how is culture defined. And, is patriotism in the eye of the beholder?
The questions do not make me exempt from expressing gratitude for the things that I feel lucky to have. That is not backpedalling.

But I do thank you for your post as it is one of the only ones that has made me think about my words more, and I see that they have the ability to be interpreted many ways.
I also agree that there would be many that would be happy to take my spot on this soil.