Post up ya 4WD!

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Selling my merc, getting a HJ75... Anything I should look out for? 2H issues? Rust areas?

Also! Updates on any of you guys rigs??

Legally Red

Likes Dirt
Update. Changed heaps since this post ^^

more stuff; underbody protection, snorkel, arb compressor, rear air locker, 3" Tough Dog lift, Bigger KM2's, Lightforce HID's, and other stuff I can't remember.
Loving it!!

Need to: new winch, sort gearing, front locker, sliders, rear disk conversion. :biggrin1:
definately a hot little jim u got there mate. I always check out your build thread on Auszookers too!

Im just getting some money up to put through a jimnybits order. Going for the 2inch ES3000 lift so ill only need castor correction bushings and possibly extended brake lines right?

sam705

Likes Dirt
Selling my merc, getting a HJ75... Anything I should look out for? 2H issues? Rust areas?

Also! Updates on any of you guys rigs??
Any reason as to why you're going with the 2H?
I've got a 1993 75 series 1HZ, done 504,000 and going strong. Contemplating updating to a 06+ Hilux predominantly for comfort and fuel economy. But if a decent 79 series pops up i won't turn it down.

As for rust areas, the foot wells are a good place to look. Lift the vinyl up and check as there's been a widespread problem with cruisers and water getting through the dash somewhere. Not gushing through, but I've noticed it dripping in very heavy rain.

Goodluck!

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
This is my LN65 Dual Cab Lux which I'm building as a first car. It will receive a full strip and rebuild which will consist of...

-removing current rust
-repainting
-making a custom tray and rock sliders
-new front seats
-new audio system
-2 or 4" lift and new suspension (undecided)
-33" or 35" MTZ's on Mickey Thompson Classic II's
-CT20 Turbo and intercooler

And maybe some other things I've forgotten. I'm only 15 so this will be a slow build, but I have all the resources to do this right so I'm willing to take my time

IMG_9028.jpgIMG_9022.jpgIMG_9270.jpg
Heres some of the rust in the floor :help:
IMG_9252.jpg

Attachments

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Its been a wee while but my beloved poorly treated shorty GQ way back on the first few pages died a death the day before I went to Whistler last year so I drove a crappy little 2wd ute for a while until I realised it sucked the big one not being able to just go somewhere....so I upgraded a wee bit. Didnt intend on buying another 4wd before our Whistler trip this year but dear wifey found this one for sale and considering it had nearly everything we wanted done to it already for fuck all of the price it would have cost me to buy and mod a stock one we pounced on it. Ive only done a couple of little things to it and everything else was already done by old mate who loved ARB and Opposite lock. You gotta love divorces, he barely even used it
2007 Navara ST with 2" spring lift with custom leaves and airbags in the rear, bullbar, winch, scrub bars into sliders, steel tray with canvas canopy and LED lighting around the canopy frame, 80L water tank under the tray with the pump out the side squirting out 11L/min, awnings out either side of the tray,265/75/16 STT's soon to be upgraded to 285's with extended shackles on the rear and strut spacers on the front to squeeze the 33's in, 140A solar panel on the lid with dual battery system and a few other bits and pieces. Air locker, 33's for more clearance and roof topper to come when finances allow
575936_4152071598477_1941566240_n.jpg
In all my beach camping glory, Canopy has flyscreens on the windows so I can happily sleep in the tray. That trip it pissed down rain and was a treat in the tray with the awnings out
249014_4152072078489_1875017960_n.jpg
It doesnt quite have the travel and fun of the Shorty about it but its a crapload more comfortable and pleasant to drive and I dont do the whole rock crawling side of things now so I care about this one a bit more. Poor old shorty had a rough time
222088_2045344611619_1201011_n.jpg

Last edited:

brindog

Likes Dirt
definately a hot little jim u got there mate. I always check out your build thread on Auszookers too!

Im just getting some money up to put through a jimnybits order. Going for the 2inch ES3000 lift so ill only need castor correction bushings and possibly extended brake lines right?
Cheers mate.
Nice choice, some people get caster correction for 2" some don't, I think a small amount would be needed from what I have read. Extended brake line possibly with the JB Kit, but I never had then when I was 2" King lift.
Do you have a build thread on AZ?

And Awesome truck Doggy, nice one picking it up with heaps of goodies already on it!!

Tristan D

Likes Bikes

Too many mods to list, flexes well, rides well, grips well and goes really hard

Currently in bits but goal is 35psi boost, 12mm injection pump with injection timing controlled via unichip, intake is a bit hush hush at the moment but we're running a UFI 20 td05 turbo, I also ported the exhaust manifold an had manifold, dump and hot side of turbo ceramic coated

Last edited:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
And Awesome truck Doggy, nice one picking it up with heaps of goodies already on it!!
Cheers man, was pretty chuffed with finding it too. Saved me a lot of effort and coin. Weighs in at about 2.8T normally so its a bit of a brick which is noticeable when braking and such. I was keen on one of the ex telstra long distance GU utes with the steel canopy and wheel holders etc but this is a bit more practical for bikes as well

M0z

Likes Bikes
Not going to go into the modifications too much, but I use a Toyota Prado as my "getaway" car...

sam705

Likes Dirt
Nice bus MOz, my parents have a diesel model and it's such a pleasure to drive. What brand light bars are you using and what do you think of them?

M0z

Likes Bikes
Nice bus MOz, my parents have a diesel model and it's such a pleasure to drive. What brand light bars are you using and what do you think of them?
cheers, originally had a diesel model.... many years ago, switched to the petrol one when i changed jobs and couldn't afford the lease on the new diesel, and went for a secondhand petrol.

....light bars i sourced myself from china.... so, "no name" brand... the one on the bullbar is a 32" long dual-row jobbie, but only has 3W LED's, where the 42" one across the roof is a single row one... but has 5W LED's in it.

Before the LED's i used a pair of DIY converted to HID lightforce 240XGT's... so i saw a considerable reduction in the distance i can see down the road... but i find the light from the light bar's much more "usable" if that makes any sense. even with the combo/spread covers on the lightforces, i still ended up with very direction lighting. the light bars don't do that, lots of spread... but at the expense of distance. these now don't really increase the distance any further than my normal high beam headlights.... however they light up EVERYTHING in front of the car.

For most, i'd probably recommend a mixture of spot's and LED's if you can make 'em fit.

sam705

Likes Dirt
cheers, originally had a diesel model.... many years ago, switched to the petrol one when i changed jobs and couldn't afford the lease on the new diesel, and went for a secondhand petrol.

....light bars i sourced myself from china.... so, "no name" brand... the one on the bullbar is a 32" long dual-row jobbie, but only has 3W LED's, where the 42" one across the roof is a single row one... but has 5W LED's in it.

Before the LED's i used a pair of DIY converted to HID lightforce 240XGT's... so i saw a considerable reduction in the distance i can see down the road... but i find the light from the light bar's much more "usable" if that makes any sense. even with the combo/spread covers on the lightforces, i still ended up with very direction lighting. the light bars don't do that, lots of spread... but at the expense of distance. these now don't really increase the distance any further than my normal high beam headlights.... however they light up EVERYTHING in front of the car.

For most, i'd probably recommend a mixture of spot's and LED's if you can make 'em fit.
Good work, i have a set of 240 blitzs on my ute at the moment, i find them ok but i find you can never have enough light. I will eventually HID them and look into light bars a bit harder and pick up a 32inch to put in front of the lightforces as they seem to be becoming very popular.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Just spotted this thread, and guess I should add mine.

4wding is probably my main hobby (apart from mtbing of course!)

This is my main toy.

Its a 2001 Land Rover Defender 90 td5 commercial. Spec list is a bit ridiculous, but basically it has front and rear winches, 4 ranges of gearing due to having an underdrive (lowest low range is now 117:1), front and rear lockers, uprated everything and a cage!

Have a couple of others too...

a 2003 Disco2a v8

and a 1983 stage 1 v8 ute which the bikes get moved around on a bit.

Cheers!
Pete

clockworked

Like an orange
great looking set of cars there!

how do you find the 83 ute to live with? Is it costly to run? How is the reliability and is it expensive to repair? I spose you're pretty unlikely to get a speeding fine it?

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Cheers Clockworked,

The 83, being a stage 1 v8 will keep up with traffic without any issue. It will easily maintain 110 at the detriment of your ears and fuel usage.

It is only a 4speed so its really does feel a bit undergeared.

It has been pretty reliable. Only thing i can think that has gone wrong since I finished it was a fuel pump failure. (facet electric) which was about $100

I work on them myself so its only the cost of parts, and they are cheap enough if you look to the right suppliers.

Rgds
Pete

floody

Wheel size expert
Wow, the Defender is sick Pete!

I'm just about to have a second crack at the 22R swap in my '81 Hilux, the first one spun a big end not long after being fitted, much to my chagrin. Current motor was rebuilt approx 5000km ago and has an aftermarket cam, should be interesting. 22R goes really well in the ~1250kg early Hilux btw (at least it did before it broke). With any luck if the rain holds off I'll get it in and running by lunch time tomorrow.