which grips for AM/XC

cowma

Likes Bikes
Oury lock ons. For everything.

Expensive, but last forever, and super comfy.
I have had the Oury grips on all my bikes. Currently have the lock ons on my hardtail, downhill bike and bmx and the regular version on my hybrid and my first proper mountainbike in the late 90's. They are the first thing I change to on any bike I get.

floody

Wheel size expert
ODI Troy Lee Designs. I'm on my 4th pair and have them on two bikes. Perfect grips for me.
This. I run them on anything which doesn't have a drop bar. Love them to bits. Replaced Oury for me, worlds better.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
want to hear more reviews on these ESI grips

i know they come in chuncky and ...thin? really need to try these ones my shitty grips wear out !
$18 posted isnt bad price either !

For $18 just try them. make sure your bars are super clean and the inside of the grip is clean. I use hand sanitizer (because of the alcohol). Clean the bars and the grips with it then put some in the end of the grip. Slide that end onto the bar first and leave overnight then enjoy.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
love ESI's - reduce discomfort on chattery rides. though havent tried the ODI's which seem popular on this thread, and i'm sure the ODI's would survive crashes heaps better than ESI's.

I install them with hairspray

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grips depends a lot on the size of your hand. Bigger the hand the fatter the grip etc..
Ive kind of settled on the Ruffian MX version.
mtb_lo_ruffian_mx.jpg

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
I used to just get the standart bolt on gaint grips that came with my Anthem X. They are soft very easy to hold on while riding, even without gloves but wear out very quickly.
But in recent times I've started doing 4-5 hr rides & my wrists started hurting & numbness in my hand. No bg deal but a bit of a shake of the hand on the regular basis would make the problem go away.

I just got these Ergon GS-1

todays intitail short ride to the shops & back . They make the handlebars feel much more stable while riding. But yet to try them on a extended ride as all tracks & trails are closed this weekend. But at the end of the day It all really depends on what type of riding you do.

short rides, any of the basic round grips would probably suffice.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So those ones have a pad sort of thing for that part just under your thumb? Would be interesting to give that a feel.

your_neighbour

Likes Dirt
I have had the Oury grips on all my bikes. Currently have the lock ons on my hardtail, downhill bike and bmx and the regular version on my hybrid and my first proper mountainbike in the late 90's. They are the first thing I change to on any bike I get.
Same, Its the only grip I have ever had in 13 years, just so damn comfy!

on all my bikes, and even me ladies townie and rail trail bike, I don't know any better!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I've always used the ODI Rogues due to their fat squishy feel, but when I received my Flow subscriber pack it included a set of the thin Jet Black grips.

My ODIs were near dead so I chucked the Jet Blacks on and wow, what a difference. I have big hands so I thought I needed soemthing fatter and softer but after using the thin JB grips I won't be going back. What a difference a thinner grip gives to the feel of your bike. It's weird but I feel like I have more input and control now.

I'm sure there's heaps better grips than the JB ones, but just saying that the big, chunky grips are not necessarily the best. IMO anyway. :)

brindog

Likes Dirt
odi ruffians, they are super comfy and a long lasting grip. They are a bit on the heavy side but for AM riding they are fine.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ESIs

What do people use to get them to stick. Been using hairspray but it aint working

Zam

Likes Dirt
What do people use to get them to stick. Been using hairspray but it aint working
Yeah this was the main reaosn for me changing back to lock ons, my current ones ahve been good untilthey get bit of moisture in there and then they jusy become dangerous, so want to change them over before winter...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah this was the main reaosn for me changing back to lock ons, my current ones ahve been good untilthey get bit of moisture in there and then they jusy become dangerous, so want to change them over before winter...
I am with ya Zam

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
ESI chunkies get my vote. They feel very comfy and work really well with carbon bars on my XC bike...I think I used isopropyl alcohol to install...quickly...

droctagon

Likes Dirt
I applied a tiny amount of Windex onto my bars and end of the grip (as indicated on the packaging) then left them for 12- 24 hours, they don't budge at all. However, I have Chro-mo bars that are "shiny" as opposed to the "rough" finish found on most Aluminium bars. I'm not sure whether the shiny surface might give a bit better adherence to the silicone? They only started shrinking down the bar a bit after a year or so (I was a bit overdue for new ones).

I am on to my second set of ESI Chunky silicone grips. The first set lasted me at least a year with heavy use. I love these grips, and won't go back to lock-ons. After long rides, I was getting hand cramps and numbness, thats what initially provoked me to experiment with the ESI grips, and it was a revelation. They feel good gloveless too (If thats your thing!).

They are cheap on Torpedo7 at the moment as well.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
Any wet slow, drying fluid that totally evaporates makes the ESI grip installation easy. They state on the ESI website that they stick to smooth surfaces better like painted bars and carbon bars. They didn't hold to well to my renthal bars which are shot peened. I am contemplating painting the portion of the bars where the grips go on so its nice and smooth or wiring the grips on.