Solid Rotors to replace G2's

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Ive been changing bikes around for the last year or two and have finally settled on my Intense TracerVP to be the final build. One of the parts i never thought over was rotors. I have been running some pretty tired Avid G2's, 8inch up front and 7 rear linked up to a set of Formula The Ones. In the past week or two, they have become nicely buckled and are starting to make some farkin annoying noises. I am not surprised seeming there age and how much they have been thrown around the garage.

Long story short, what would be a good upgrade. Thinking about Icetechs or other shimano rotors that have the much more rigid centres, unlike the G2's. Ive also seen some options from hope and formula.

Keeping in mind that it can only be a 6 bolt rotor, what would you recommend. I am not loaded by the way. 15 year old's pay at the hardware isnt great as you can imagine.

Sorry if it has been covered before. Thanks

EDIT - im happy to talk purchasing of you if you PM me.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What calipers are you running? The centre arms on Icetechs do foul on some non-Shimano calipers (Avid Elixirs definitely do). You may be OK with the 7 & 8" rotors though, but not totally sure on that.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Don't stuff around and just go the bling - Hope with colored centers. I run them with Formula (Ouro Bianco), Hope (Mini Pro) and Saint. No problem with any of them.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G3 rotors work fine, don't have any clearance problems, and can be had for cheap in the forum classifieds.
I haven't used floating rotors, but imagine they aren't as rigid as full steel rotors and easier to damage.

lmcd

Likes Bikes
Be careful when choosing hope floating rotors to go with Formula The Ones. The calliper WILL hit the the big rivets where the disk outer is fixed to the centre.
To get it to work you need to grind the calliper and add spacers.
Just get formula disks.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Formula make floating rotors as well. Best of to go for those, that way you know there won't be any fouling on the calliper.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Avid HSX rotors are good. Work well in the wet, don't chew through the pads (like some of the more open design rotors) and are fairly lightweight. Come with Ti bolts for a bit extra bling. Find em on fleabay for around $90 for a pair.

0psi

Eats Squid
Avid HSX rotors are good. Work well in the wet, don't chew through the pads (like some of the more open design rotors) and are fairly lightweight. Come with Ti bolts for a bit extra bling. Find em on fleabay for around $90 for a pair.
Meh, HS1's are lighter and can be had for a third of the price if you shop around.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Meh, HS1's are lighter and can be had for a third of the price if you shop around.
I thought the same thing. Bought a pile of them for my other wheelsets then found that using the HS1 on the rear of my Anthem X caused the dreaded turkey gobble / warbling sound. The HSX's with exactly the same braking track don't do that. Indeed, I have not had any other rotor give me that sound and I've worn out a bunch of them, but the HS1's when used on the rear are consistently noisy.

The OP wants a "solid" rotor, and based on my experience I can't really recommend the HS1's.

madstace

Likes Dirt
What calipers are you running? The centre arms on Icetechs do foul on some non-Shimano calipers (Avid Elixirs definitely do). You may be OK with the 7 & 8" rotors though, but not totally sure on that.
I'm running 2012/13 Elixir 9s with 180mm Shimmy RT76s, seems to clear OK (is tight but no rubbing). Solved the turkey gobble too!

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have been happy with Shimano RT75s for the past year or so. Not fancy, but do the job and I have audibly heard them hit rocks a few times and they stay straight.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
This input has been great thanks guys. still shopping around. Formulas and HSX's are on my list

I have been happy with Shimano RT75s for the past year or so. Not fancy, but do the job and I have audibly heard them hit rocks a few times and they stay straight.
are they fine to run with the formula's? seems as though a fair few arent

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
is there much of a difference between shimano rt86's and rt76? for a pair of discs (7+8inch), the price difference is around 30 bucks. Is it worth the extra dough?

ChopSticks

Banned
is there much of a difference between shimano rt86's and rt76? for a pair of discs (7+8inch), the price difference is around 30 bucks. Is it worth the extra dough?
+1

i want to know too.... im running 86's and want to know what difference between the 76 and more importantly what the difference of the XTR's are? (RT98, albeit being CL only)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
RT86 (and XTR RT98) are the aluminium-cored IceTech rotors, while RT76 are a solid steel rotor. (referring to the actual braking part; both are on an alloy spider. The idea of the alloy core between the steel braking layers is that the lower density of the material doesn't retain heat, so the brakes run cooler, therefore are less prone to fade on long descents.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Definitely go the Shimano alloy center rotors. I haven't run any of the Icetech ones, but I've run a fair few sets of the standard style ones in both XT and XTR (XTR were CL). Both are awesome! I've run G2's, G3's (currently running G3's on my commuter Which are getting swapped out for some shimanos), Hope floating (yes mods need to be done as stated above to fit shimano calipers, not sure about other brands), all have been run in 6", 7" and 8" versions except for the hopes that were just 7 and 8.

The hopes bent fairly easy, they were easy to straighten but were constantly bending. G3's are noisy and also aren't the strongest. Shimano alloy centered rotors are by far the most solid performer, strong as! I have never had to straighten a shimano rotor, and I've cooked a pair good and proper, the mega stiff center held it dead straight!

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
pretty annoying that some styles arent made in 6bolt. i think i am going to go for some rt86 or some formulas. has anyone had any experiences with some formula rotors similar to the shimanos.