XX1 and XX compatibility

timrob

Likes Dirt
Hello All,

got a tech question regarding interchangability of equipment.

Many of you know of XX1 groupset release by now which i think is a fantastic idea finally making a dedicated 1x groupset, however the dinner plate sized rear cassette (42t) has me baffled.
I currently run a 11x34 with a 32t front ring. I find if i max out with a 32 - 34 climbing gear i either cant keep the front wheel on the ground or im better off walking as it will be quicker!

So! im specing out a new bike at the moment and am toying with the idea of a XX & XX1 mix of components. Interested to know if the XX1 rear mech will work with a 10sp (XX, XO or X9) shifter?
running 10sp will give me the option of a 36t rear as well as avoid the need to modify rear hub for XD freehub body.

Any insight to this would be appreciated!

Peace, Pedal on.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you want to go 1x10 why do you want to buy an xx1 RD ?

I have read about people with 1x10 systems using the xx1 cranks with a shadow+ or type 2 10 speed RD who have claimed great chain retention with no need for a chain guide. Sound like a good hybrid option.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
A better question might be can you run XX1 cranks & chain with XX (or X?) 10 speed cassette, RD & Shifter...

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes it will work
Yes your chain will fall off the chain ring
Yes its a stupid idea
Yes you should buy the full group set

softek

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

timrob

Likes Dirt
Wanting the XX1 rear mech so it gives the option in the future to switch to full 11 speed should i find it necessary!

Thanks for the input, i understand the stupidity of what im asking but its good to know none the less.

Cheers

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Yes it will work
Yes your chain will fall off the chain ring
Yes its a stupid idea
Yes you should buy the full group set
another here running hybrid setup, xx1 cranks, 1x10 11-36 with sram type 2 rear derailleur.
havent dropped the chain once. Bulletproof so far, quiet & very clean setup.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
another here running hybrid setup, xx1 cranks, 1x10 11-36 with sram type 2 rear derailleur.
havent dropped the chain once. Bulletproof so far, quiet & very clean setup.
Exactly the same setup as I am running. Works perfectly.

I can see the advantages of the 10-42 xx1 cassette though. You can run a 34tooth chainring and still get better gearing at either end.

I have 32front and 11-36 out the back and find and am wanting more gears downhills and comuting between tracks.

0psi

Eats Squid
I have 32front and 11-36 out the back and find and am wanting more gears downhills and comuting between tracks.
:lol: I thought about bringing that up when you said you didn't need a dinner plate sized rear cog!

To the OP, don't think about the low end gearing you'll gain, think about the high end gearing you'll gain. Google gear inch calculator and work out what your current low gear is then put in the XX1 gear ratios and play around with the front chainring till you get something close your low gear and you'll have a much bigger high gear.

Also, the front of your bike wandering is probably your bike setup or technique.

Edit: Found it for you, have a play with this.
http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches
or this if you have an idea of your average cadence
http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

softek

Likes Dirt
Wanting the XX1 rear mech so it gives the option in the future to switch to full 11 speed should i find it necessary!

Thanks for the input, i understand the stupidity of what im asking but its good to know none the less.

Cheers
it's not a stupid question at all, however if you run the xx1 rear mech, you cant use a 10sp cassette

timrob

Likes Dirt
it's not a stupid question at all, however if you run the xx1 rear mech, you cant use a 10sp cassette
Ah, see i beg to differ. Given my understanding XX1 runs the same 1:1 actuation, i.e. cable pull distance = rear mech movement distance, so when paired with a 10speed 1:1 shifter it should operate identically to 10sp rear mech. Granted there will be minor adjustment with the b-limiter to ensure you dont have jockey wheels knocking on the 11t inner, but theoretically it should be functional!
Thoughts?

In reference to getting a bigger top end gear if i'm spinning out 32t x 11t combination down single track i would be quite content with my speed of 40km/h on a 160mm AM bike! for XC race scenarios, yes agree completely could probably push a 36t front with 10x42 rear!

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
the dinner plate sized rear cassette (42t) has me baffled.
I currently run a 11x34 with a 32t front ring. I find if i max out with a 32 - 34 climbing gear i either cant keep the front wheel on the ground or im better off walking as it will be quicker!
Don't think of it as a granny extension, that's not the point. The idea is to be able to run a bigger front ring so the top end ratio is bigger. So rather than 32/34 (0.941) which is your low gear now, and 32/11 (2.909) being high, you can run a 38T front ring and you've got 38/42 low (0.905) and 38/11 High (3.45).

The advantage is it gives the 1x simplification, with bigger top end gear ratio than a 10 speed rear. The big disadvantage is the space between smaller ratios which can screw your cadence when pedaling a long climb.

blurred

Likes Bikes
XX1 is designed to be run as a groupset by itself so i dont think that the mech will work with a 10sp shifter, regardless of pull ratios. If you want the chain retention qualities but only want 10sp then stay with a 1x10 system and get a 10sp clutched mech, some of my mates have been running them on some pretty gnarly tracks without any probs. The mech and crankset are also the most expensive items in the group, even compared to XTR, so I'd save yourself a shedload of cash and stick to your current setup if you dont use your granny gear and are happy with your top end speeds.

Mike95

Likes Dirt
The mech and crankset are also the most expensive items in the group, even compared to XTR, so I'd save yourself a shedload of cash and stick to your current setup if you dont use your granny gear and are happy with your top end speeds.
xx1 crankset can be had for around $280
xtr cranksets can be had for $400 +

If you need a new crankset & looking at going for a 1x10 setup,
the xx1 crankset works out quite reasonable when you price up other high end cranksets +
a quality chain guide like a E13 xcx which isn't needed with a xx1 crankset.

1x10 with xx1 crankset, sram type 2 or shimano clutched mech is a great setup & a much cheaper way of getting many of the benefits of xx1 without the cost of upgrading to the whole group.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
xx1 crankset can be had for around $280
xtr cranksets can be had for $400 +

If you need a new crankset & looking at going for a 1x10 setup,
the xx1 crankset works out quite reasonable when you price up other high end cranksets +
a quality chain guide like a E13 xcx which isn't needed with a xx1 crankset.

1x10 with xx1 crankset, sram type 2 or shimano clutched mech is a great setup & a much cheaper way of getting many of the benefits of xx1 without the cost of upgrading to the whole group.
It's a great idea. People are also running 39 or 41 tooth sprockets on the back of their 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
Actiontec in the US make Ti sprockets. Anyone know of any others?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was talking to Chris Jongewaard after OO this year and pretty sure he had full XX1 and 10 speed cass as they couldn't get his XX1 cass in time....

timrob

Likes Dirt
... The mech and crankset are also the most expensive items in the group ...
As said above, XX1 Crankset is cheap once you consider a guide + dedicated SS chain ring (renthal or e13 etc) + cranks

In the same way an XX1 mech is only 20% more expensive than a Type 2 XO mech, in terms of bike cost overall its a low cost upgrade should it be compatible with a 10sp shifter. So for me price is not the big driver, however ability to upgrade cost effectively in the future is! granted there is a slight amount of lust for XX1 bling!

Perhaps i should just kick the XX1 bucket and buy a Saint groupset and be done with!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
People are starting to use XX1 cranks and spiderless gears like mrp bling ring. It cheaper than X0 cranks and bloody lite.