Who is right, who is wrong

0psi

Eats Squid
Old mate in the shop can't do anything about Giants manufacture and delivery schedule.
No but he can inform the customer. If ol' mate in the shop has told the customer 3 weeks, then ordered the bike and been informed by Giant it will be 6 weeks then he should have told the customer as much.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
We can only judge from what the OP is telling us, therefore we don't know the full story....lets wait and see how it all pans out before we start a riot

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I never pay in full for anything until I have it in my hands. And no more than 20% deposit. It does sound very much like a store going under.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
And unless things have changed around here Rotoburn has a policy of NOT naming and shaming retail outlets, as has been suggested.

The reason is that it's not fair to the shop. You're only getting the customer's side of the story, which for all we know is completely fabricated and the shop may not be aware of this thread and has no possibility to offer its side of the story and defend its interests.

What conversations take place over private messaging is another matter, but as things stand now there will be no naming and shaming of this and/or any other shop on this website.

Thank you, have a nice day.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
And unless things have changed around here Rotoburn has a policy of NOT naming and shaming retail outlets, as has been suggested.

The reason is that it's not fair to the shop. You're only getting the customer's side of the story, which for all we know is completely fabricated and the shop may not be aware of this thread and has no possibility to offer its side of the story and defend its interests.

What conversations take place over private messaging is another matter, but as things stand now there will be no naming and shaming of this and/or any other shop on this website.

Thank you, have a nice day.
Sorry johnny, and fellow burners.
I retort. Won't happen again.
Mike.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Certainly with Giant, and I would assume every distributor, shops are not invoiced for ordered bikes until they are dispatched, so no money for that particular bike has left the shop. Who's to say if it hasn't been used to pay other accounts though.

That said, it it 100% wrong on the shop's part to not offer a refund or supply of an alternative product if money has been handed over.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
I would go and have a chat with him today and ask when he will have the money and if there is a particular day to pop in and collect it. I wouldnt even bother asking for an exchange as his outbursts show an entire lack of respect for you.

Give him a max of 7 days for this. If he still has not paid it back by then either

1) Ask your credit card company to refund the money.

OR

2) Hand deliver (you can post it through the letter box before they open if you like to avoid confrontation) a standard letter explaining that he has 7 days to return the money. If he does not return it by then you will be taking a legal route to recover the monies. Let me know if you want a hand finding the right sort of letter as a properly worded one should ensure you getting your money back within a day or two of sending it.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Do what ever it takes to get your money back and never do business there again. I had a similar experience with a bike shop (not local). I was suppose to have a bike within 2 weeks....4 weeks later it hadn't arrived, he told me it was the bike companies fault, so I called the bike company and they advised me that the business I was dealing with haven't paid their account for months. It then took me another 2 weeks to get my money back as the boss was always "busy" or "away" and was apparently the only person allowed to do refunds in store.

Eventually I went to Office Fair Trading who advised me to write a formal letter to him and basically threaten him... that seemed to work. I actually sent him an email and text msg saying the same thing and then called his work and then his mobile asking if he was ready to refund my money, he finally refunded me the money.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are both wrong. On so many levels... 29er and Giant. I mean, what were you thinking!???!!!!!

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
My story goes back about 7 years ago now. Had the latest & greatest top of the line BMC road frame & fork on order, that was suppose to be 1 to 2 months delivery & put a 20% deposit down. Almost 5 months later (would touch base each month to get an update) & still no bike, I contacted the distributor at the time & when I got nothing concrete from them on when I would see it, I went onto contact BMC. With no reply at all from the manufacturer on when I would see my frame, I finally cancelled my order. Gave LBS the opportunity to supply another couple of brands (which he didn't stock) in its place, but when he couldn't do that either, I asked for my refund back, which I got without any issues. Thinking i'd been pretty fair & reasonable, I found out soon after the Owner went onto bag me out saying "he didn't want a Whinger riding one of his bikes anyway". He ended up losing thousands of dollars in future sales/servicing & I ended up saving thousands of dollars, as this was the last straw on trying to support & deal with LBS's & the catalyst for me to start shopping on line.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it were me.......No sale has occurred until goods and money exchange (law).

Go to the shop, pick a bike of equal or more value and walk out. Or he gives a refund on the spot.......

I wouldnt take crap from a goat like this........

driftking

Wheel size expert
Do you live in the Sutherland shire?

The store wasn't inthw wrong about estimation however they should have contacted the manufacturer and told you that information about the bike numbers and orders. You are not in the wrong.

He was in the wrong when he decided to go off his nut, legally I don't think he is actually in the wrong but the way he conducted himself was wrong not to mention to actually run a business his pretty wrong to go off at a customer and not offer a reasonable solution.
It sounds alarm bells that he won't so it and then saying when he has the money, that's a massive red light as others mentioned.

The thing with saying ill pay you back when I haw the money and you agreeing, there is no date defined so if he hits bankruptcy you won't get your money. I would make sure he gives you adage to pick up the full cash payment (via bank check or cash) don't accept anything that will bounce. Get the agreed date in writing/email/voicemail whatever.
If possible go with a officer. This guy sounds dodgy.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the OP was completely reasonable and the shopkeeper went spastic for no reason?

Either he's missed his meds or we aren't getting the whole story.

Melony

Likes Bikes
Op was reasonable, asked if they could offer another brand numerous times, I also had my 18 month old son in my arms so being unreasonable is out of the question even more.

If the store owner/salesman can not control himself and goes off at the drop of a hat that is not my fault, you would think a store that caters to families would be a little more stable in attitude.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It is a current 2013 catalogue item, not a 2012 or run out model.
Given that our prime season is actually winding down, suppliers will actually not be receiving much more 2013 stock, even though it's still quite early in the calendar year. Meaning that current year models are soon (if not already) going into run-out phase.

Northern hemisphere markets coming into season now will take care of the remaining production run of the current models, meaning there could well be gaps in the catalogue until the 2014 stuff appears from around August.

None of this excuses or in any way justifies the shopowner's reaction of course. Regardless of anything behind the scenes, if he's refusing to give a refund or offer sale of an alternate product then he's unquestionably in breach of consumer law and must be pulled on it.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Op was reasonable, asked if they could offer another brand numerous times, I also had my 18 month old son in my arms so being unreasonable is out of the question even more.

If the store owner/salesman can not control himself and goes off at the drop of a hat that is not my fault, you would think a store that caters to families would be a little more stable in attitude.
Fair enough.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Do you live in the Sutherland shire?

The store wasn't inthw wrong about estimation however they should have contacted the manufacturer and told you that information about the bike numbers and orders. You are not in the wrong.

He was in the wrong when he decided to go off his nut, legally I don't think he is actually in the wrong but the way he conducted himself was wrong not to mention to actually run a business his pretty wrong to go off at a customer and not offer a reasonable solution.
It sounds alarm bells that he won't so it and then saying when he has the money, that's a massive red light as others mentioned.

The thing with saying ill pay you back when I haw the money and you agreeing, there is no date defined so if he hits bankruptcy you won't get your money. I would make sure he gives you adage to pick up the full cash payment (via bank check or cash) don't accept anything that will bounce. Get the agreed date in writing/email/voicemail whatever.
If possible go with a officer. This guy sounds dodgy.
Why do you ask Sutherland shire?

hmm ......i had a big problem with a LBS giant dealer in 2010 When I approached LBS to fix my problem with the new Bike he went nuts. I contacted Giant after some searching on the net to find the head office number. Giant told me to go back to LBS to fix the problem he went even more nuts and abused me in front of other customers waiting in the store. Blamed me for putting him out of favor with Giant.

Contacted Giant again who put me thru to the Australian Giant Rep. Rep then sent me to another giant dealer to have my bike fixed. All good.

I wonder if the same bike shop reminds of the bad experience I had guy seemed manic.
Also was all nice until I handed over my cash after that service level went right down:ban:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Regardless of what went on in the shop, you need to get your cash off him ASAP. The longer you leave it the harder it will get. I would be back down there in the morning again... keep the pressure on till you get it.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Why do you ask Sutherland shire?

hmm ......i had a big problem with a LBS giant dealer in 2010 When I approached LBS to fix my problem with the new Bike he went nuts. I contacted Giant after some searching on the net to find the head office number. Giant told me to go back to LBS to fix the problem he went even more nuts and abused me in front of other customers waiting in the store. Blamed me for putting him out of favor with Giant.

Contacted Giant again who put me thru to the Australian Giant Rep. Rep then sent me to another giant dealer to have my bike fixed. All good.

I wonder if the same bike shop reminds of the bad experience I had guy seemed manic.
Also was all nice until I handed over my cash after that service level went right down:ban:
I know a store in that area who has a fairly bad reputation. For some radon while reading I wouldn't be surprised if it was that store.