Any recommendations for a solid all mountain bike

nick82

Likes Bikes
Hi,

I'm after a bike that is a little more burly than my Avanti Torrent that will pedal up ok, but can handle going down rougher tracks. Can anybody recommend the Kona Cadabra? The 2013 is the model I'm looking at as its a bit slacker with air shock magic link.
My local is the You Yangs, as well as heading out to Wombat etc. I'm liking the look of the Kona Process http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=process but without any low speed compression it might be overkill.

Budget is around $3500 to $4000. I've also been looking at NS Soda Air, Commencal Meta SX 2, Lapierre Spicy 316. I'm not really interested in a Trek, Spesh or Giant (had a few already).

I have searched the web, but was after some local riders input.

Cheers.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
If you are interested. There is a Scott/Avanti Demo Day at the You Yangs this sunday, and it sounds like something such as a Scott Genuis 740 would suit you pretty well.

Just bring yourself, your gear, photo ID, pedals and we can hook you up with a test ride :) Also any purchases made on the day will get a 15% discount off rrp

cheif_m

Likes Dirt
i had the very same search a few months back, posted on here and low and behold an absolute bargain of a bike appeared. Intense Tracer 2 is what i ended up buying and i would recommend it to anyone, running a 1x10 setup it can get me up just about any hill, the first thing to give out is traction, and me falling off, i have never run out of gears. as for going down, its a dream, the few times i have used it expressly for going down hill, it felt great, if not a little cumbersome but i think that is because i was so used to my medium big hit 2 where as my intense is a XL.
all in all though, it will get you up the hill without too much effort and will bring you down again, down the narlyest stuff without any problems. and if you can get one for 2K like i did i would jump on it real quick.

nick82

Likes Bikes
2k for the Intense is a bargain, I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks guitar1234, I'll come out for a look. I'll see if I can drag a mate of mine along too who is in the same boat as me.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I'm after a bike that is a little more burly than my Avanti Torrent that will pedal up ok, but can handle going down rougher tracks. Can anybody recommend the Kona Cadabra? The 2013 is the model I'm looking at as its a bit slacker with air shock magic link.
My local is the You Yangs, as well as heading out to Wombat etc. I'm liking the look of the Kona Process http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=process but without any low speed compression it might be overkill.

Budget is around $3500 to $4000. I've also been looking at NS Soda Air, Commencal Meta SX 2, Lapierre Spicy 316. I'm not really interested in a Trek, Spesh or Giant (had a few already).

I have searched the web, but was after some local riders input.

Cheers.
Check out the Knolly Chilcotin in the used bike section. Awesome bike.

Nevermind...sold

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Likes Bikes
I usually ride and love my Yeti575 but at Thredbo last weekend i had my first ride on the Marin Quake and it was awesome both on the Flow track and the DH and it pedals really well. 6" of travel and about 17kgs. I bought it for my young bloke but it was too long for him even being a small, what a shame, it is one of the most confidence boosting bikes I have ever ridden, for someone who hates to jump it had me jumping every double on th track, just a great fun bike. He is not getting it back.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rocky Mountain Slayer.
160mm front and rear with Fox 36, 12x142 rear end and about 14kgs. I ride mine for AM stuff as well as light DH.
Very stiff and stable at speed and great geometry for climbing if your motor is strong.

Can usually get one for around $3K

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
I'd back up the previous suggestion of testing a scott genius 740- I have just come from an Avanti Torrent too, and the Scott is really great- much much faster up the hills, and much better on the rough stuff- I can't tell you if it is the (slightly) bigger wheels or the extra 10mm suspension and bigger forks, but it works. Worth a test ride I'd say.

You can read my full thoughts about the bike here....

Dirtydan

Likes Bikes
I bought a Rocky Mountain instinct. Couldn't be happier.

Rolls faster than anything else I've ever ridden, and has flexibility with diff bottom bracket heights, and head angles depending on what riding your looking at doing.

Everything I've thrown at it, it's done, and it's done well, apart from the normal 29er faults. I was very hesitant about buying a 29er, especially for what I enjoy doing. But I don't regret it one bit, I rode a 29er trance, the instinct, and the stump jumper.

The stumpy was a great ride as well, the giant I didn't enjoy (owning a 26" trance at the time, and a glory I was surprised). The instinct had more versatility, great bang for your buck, and I had the most fun on.

Since buying I have ridden all the local trails here in townsville, mackay, cairns, and mareeba, and given it a hell of a work out. Haven't had this much fun on a bike in ages!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 2012 cadabra. suits me perfectly. the magic link takes a bit to setup with the extra variables of two links. The 2013 has a big improvement in the second link is now air shock not coil, hopefully you'll avoid the dreaded squeak. It's not as burly as most of the bikes listed here

rone

Eats Squid
Turner 5.spot. The more I ride mine, the more I love it. Over=fork it with a 160mm and you have a bike that climbs like an XC but descends like an AM.

debeer

Likes Dirt
Morewood

Check out the new morewood, sakuma or jabula. They look great and the reviews have been really good, looking to swap out my bandit for a sakuma this year.

nick82

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the responses, it's appreciated. Another one I just thought of, how would a Santa Cruz Heckler go? Cheers.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i ride a whyte 146 same as the marin quake essentually with the quad link suspension really light mine is about 11.5kg which is rediculous for an all mountain bike ran it at thredbo last weekend and only fault was the chainguide i went with bike ate everything up nicely for 150mm travel

bike culture stocks them and i know theres a 2012 model left for rediculous good price if your interested

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
I have just come of a Marin quad link onto a new heckler, single pivot rear end has a different feel than the Marin but it dosn't take long to get use to.
still playing with the setting on shock and forks (always had fox but went for a revelation) but loving it so far (only 2 weeks in)

nick82

Likes Bikes
Last few questions, then I will leave you all alone.

I narrowed it down to a Norco Range 1 26", but can't find any. Can't seem to get the 650b version until next year. So that's out.
I looked at a Nukeproof Mega, but people are saying its its too downhill biased. Please let me know what you think if you own one, is it good for all day trails with some uphill slogs?

Decision seems to be between a Lapierre Spicy 516 and a Transition Covert 2. I'm leaning towards the Covert (26") because it looks like it can handle being thrashed on black diamond runs without a problem. The Spicy "looks" a bit flimsy in comparison. Thing is I want to sit on a Covert in Medium, because the top tube (581mm for medium) is the shortest one I've seen on all the bikes I looked at . I'm 5'10" and wondering if I'm between sizes. So is there a shop anywhere in Melbourne/Vic area that has either a large or medium in stock?

Thanks again.

xero

Supersports
Last few questions, then I will leave you all alone.

I'm leaning towards the Covert (26") because it looks like it can handle being thrashed on black diamond runs without a problem. The Spicy "looks" a bit flimsy in comparison. Thing is I want to sit on a Covert in Medium, because the top tube (581mm for medium) is the shortest one I've seen on all the bikes I looked at . I'm 5'10" and wondering if I'm between sizes. So is there a shop anywhere in Melbourne/Vic area that has either a large or medium in stock?

Thanks again.
Your pretty smack on for M size if your riding the bike the way Transition meant it.
Having said that, give Bryn a call at Urban Velocity, I think he may have one in stock... if not, he should be able to arrange one for you to sit on.

http://www.urbanvelocity.com.au/contacts/

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
There are two Commencal Meta frames for sale on the forum, one AM and one SX, if I recall correctly.
I am sure they would make a competent AM bike.